Occasional Contributor

Holiday Peeps - I'm bored...

Bored and I'm always down to talk holiday with people. 

As anyone bought anything yet for gifts or decor? Smiley Happy

*Be a pineapple: stand tall, wear a crown and be sweet on the inside*
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Holiday Peeps - I'm bored...

I posted this elsewhere but I bought two 5" square glass votives from Libbey glass. Dirt cheap, $10 for both. These are big, meant for large candles. 

I found someone on Etsy who will etch glass on your own items. Saw some really cute designs and the cost is $7 per design. I already have a few 4" pillar candles.

So for about $12 ea + shipping for the etching I'll begin my venture into fall/holiday decorating.

Totally original, not mass produced. 

Occasional Contributor

That's a cute idea. 

I have no bought anything yet. I usually wait until CiJ. That is my "official" start. 

I'm trying to get ideas to make homeade gifts this year...still stumped. 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I love the CIJ shows.....even though it’s blazing hot outside, it’s kind of fun to just sit back and watch all of the fun stuff coming out for the Holidays. I have to admit, I like decorating more for Fall/Harvest, but I enjoy the holiday shows.😊

Forgot to add.....I really don’t do much shopping for gifts. Our sone is 42, so instead of trying to figure out to get him, I start buying him gift cards starting the first week in October. Every week, I purchase another one, maybe his favorite places to eat, a few iTunes gift cards, cards for gas, oil changes, etc. Then he doesn’t have to spend his own money for quite awhile after Christmas.

Occasional Contributor

I'm originally from Kansas. So our summers started sometimes end of April beginning of May. So by July, we've already had several 100 + degree days. So when CIJ comes I like to turn the AC down, make it colder and snuggle under a blanket and enjoy the "christmas feeling". 

People think it's weird, but even with the hussle and bussle and (some) rude people - the holiday season brings out the better in people. And it's just so joyful. 

And gifts cards are not that bad of an idea. Especially if something has everything. If it's just a random 25$ card, I feel it's not personal. But you spend the time every week looking for the perfect ones for him. Do you present them to him in a unique way? Card holders? Wrapping them? 

Trusted Contributor

@xxojewels wrote:

I'm originally from Kansas. So our summers started sometimes end of April beginning of May. So by July, we've already had several 100 + degree days. So when CIJ comes I like to turn the AC down, make it colder and snuggle under a blanket and enjoy the "christmas feeling". 

People think it's weird, but even with the hussle and bussle and (some) rude people - the holiday season brings out the better in people. And it's just so joyful. 

And gifts cards are not that bad of an idea. Especially if something has everything. If it's just a random 25$ card, I feel it's not personal. But you spend the time every week looking for the perfect ones for him. Do you present them to him in a unique way? Card holders? Wrapping them? 

My son is huge Star Wars fan, so I always try to find a unique Star Wars container to put the gift cards in. He says even though he knows he will be getting gift cards, he never knows what they will be for, so it’s still a fun surprise. Plus, we decided a few years ago that he would pick one gift card to give to a random stranger he might see that looked like they needed a little pick me up.😊

Esteemed Contributor

@xxojewels I'm always checking the "As Is" on QVC. There are many Christmas items, and I try to wait until there is a free shipping day to order. Also, I always look for things throughout the year to buy for my extended family for Christmas. My SIL's mentioned how much they liked my Spurtles when we hosted the Easter meal. Well, that's what they are getting for Christmas. I just have to figure out which set is the best for them.

Valued Contributor

@PA Mom-mom wrote:

@xxojewels I'm always checking the "As Is" on QVC. There are many Christmas items, and I try to wait until there is a free shipping day to order. Also, I always look for things throughout the year to buy for my extended family for Christmas. My SIL's mentioned how much they liked my Spurtles when we hosted the Easter meal. Well, that's what they are getting for Christmas. I just have to figure out which set is the best for them.

Valerie has many as is items now.  There are 3 pages of them, and many are Christmas items.

Esteemed Contributor

Yes, @xxojewels, as a matter of fact, I just got an angel from Temp-tations, in the poinsettia pattern (I have two others in different colors).  It was at a good price and in a nice gift box, and I muttered to myself what a nice Christmas gift it would be for my neighbor this year.  I will not be surprised at all if it never leaves this house.

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

Not holiday decor, but it's June 1st and I've already done quite a bit of my Christmas shopping.

And before the haters chime in, each gift has been individually selected for the specific person and not just "random junk" that I've bought and "thrown" in a drawer to give to someone....anyone.... later.

Sorry- usually those are some of the comments made later in the year when you admit that you've shopped early or year round for Christmas gifts.

I'm feeling great about getting an early start on that.  Not so much into new Christmas decorations anymore.  I've thinned a ton of our Christmas things out and really don't want to add a lot back in.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?