Honored Contributor

Re: Holiday Decorating. Why do we do it?

@Julie928

WOW Julie! Your autumn decorating sounds wonderful and I can't wait to see some photos!!! 

Most of my friends only decorate for Christmas, but I like to decorate for the different seasons.  I think decorating truly turns a house into a home. And seasonal decorating freshens up my home with a different look and takes me out of being in somewhat of the same ole stale rut and same ole schedule when I walk through my home and see my home decorated in a different style.  It puts a bounce in my step and shows my personality and interests too........And it's FUN.....Woman Very Happy

P.S. And I concur this wonderful group of ladies hee keeps me inspired and motivated! 

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@CareBears wrote:

@LIG1 When she first died I did not want to celebrate Christmas without her, and someone definitely yelled in my ear and told me to Stop IT, that Christmas is a time to show love and to come together, and YES to remember past holidays to carry on the traditions, and I listened, and followed the advice I so needed at the time.  I set a flameless candle on the window in the kitchen (so Mom can see it  from heaven) at midnight on Christmas EVE, and tell her Merry Christmas Mom, I love you and miss you, and I know she wakes up on Christmas morning to the sound of the most beautiful choir that is made up of angels, she being one of them

@CareBears

Your stories and posts really touched my heart ----and beautiful tribute to your mom!  HeartHeartHeart

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@homedecor1

Im so sorry to hear about your husband's health issues......and two of the saddest things are seeing the passing of family/friends as you beautifully expressed. I can so relate.....

Our once boisterious and fun get togethers has shrunk dramatically ---  seeing so many relatives---great aunts, uncles and aunts, parents, and even young cousins have passed...........and then adding in seeing some fairly young friends pass away unexpectedly puts a meloncholy mood on these occasions as we remember those that are absent.  

My sister is the one that loves to hosts the holidays and special occasions.........and she re-connected with a couple of cousins that live in town that we haven't been able to get together with, although invitations were sent but other things that came up prevented it from happening.  It's funny you mentioned this in your comments because this Saturday we actually had lunch together and got to catch up and share fun memories and what's currently going on in our lives, with promises to keep in touch......Im glad my siter was persistent in her efforts.....

And the other sad thing is realizing I'm not the young energetic person I used to be and seeing how all the work in decorating for Christmas and unpacking and re-packing and storing it all, begins to take its toll............the other seasons I can handle---I do some for spring/Easter (piece of cake)  and don't do much for summer (a flower arrangement and a Jim Shore basket for 4th of July, and a couple of red/white/blue accents in living room and kitchen, for rest of summer it's a few sunflower items, I do quite a bit for fall, and really go big on Christmas---but each year I wonder if I should start downsizing in my tree and decor.....but then I will miss some of my favorite pieces......but I realize there is a time and I hope its far away that I will have to be practical...and really par it down as I get older.......It is sad, @homedecor1 and difficult to part with special treasures, so I send you a big HUG and hope that tasks goes smoothly for you. 

Oh and one question..........as much as I like decorating......I cook very simple dishes (and I consider my style "almost homemade"),  I don't mind vacuuming and dusting but the other aspects of cleaning aren't my favorite (especially cleaning ovens, and scrubbing the bathroom come to mind) so @homedecor1and  @Mominohio are you available for hire to do some cooking and cleaning for a decor friend???? Woman Wink  Thank you both for sharing your thoughts---so well written! In fact this whole thread has been such interesting reading from the group!   ....Thanks @Julie928 for starting it!

Honored Contributor

@Susan Louise

I loved your beautiful Christmas tree and decor.......my ornaments are eclectic too

Esteemed Contributor

Notice how many replies begin with "my mom." For those who, like I have, lost their mothers, and for those mothers of young and not so young children, realize how much you are needed and appreciated. You may not hear it all the time, but your children are paying attention and love you.

Honored Contributor

@PA Mom-mom wrote:

Notice how many replies begin with "my mom." For those who, like I have, lost their mothers, and for those mothers of young and not so young children, realize how much you are needed and appreciated. You may not hear it all the time, but your children are paying attention and love you.

@PA Mom-mom

I was blessed with 3 moms...

My biological mom (died 5 yrs before I found her...she was only 49...I'm adopted)...

My adopted mom (died when I was 9 after battling cancer for 3 yrs)

My step mom (my adopted dad's 2nd wife...died in 2003)

Esteemed Contributor

@Julie928 wrote:

This may seem like a stupid question, but I have to ask as I'm sure we all have different reasons.  Right now (and for the past week) I have been in full-blown autumn decorating mode.  My biggest and most time-consuming project is our fairy mantel.  The nine foot mantel in our den is transformed each season with miniature Cicely Barker fairies, a house in the center, and miscellaneous accessories.  The garland in the background is draped with white Christmas lights and (currently) Bethlehem Lights fairy lights in amber ~ fast twinkle!  It took me almost four days start to finish but wow, do I love the finished project.  (Still working on the attaching photos issue ~ will post pics when I get this resolved).  Then there's the bay window, the coffee tables (2 of them), the dining room table, and replacing summer wreaths and garlands with autumn ones.  Whew!  I do ask myself (and insert a few colorful words from time to time) why do I do all of this?  I guess it's because, for me, I love to surround myself with what I find beautiful.  When you walk into my home I instantly want you to know I love and respect nature, and sometimes in this crazy world I want to believe fairies really do exist.  Then there's all of you.  Even though we have never met I love conversing with each and every one of you.  I love hearing what you've bought and seeing photos of how you use it.  It's great fun, for me anyway.  So tell me ~ why do YOU decorate?

To get in the "mood" and for the beauty of it all.

Honored Contributor

OUTSIDE:    Ha!    I like to "out-do" the neighbors................

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

@Desertdi

Thats easy for me here...no one decorates outside! 

But at my home up north it was always the best of times! My neighbors were great every year we tried to "out do" each other...oh the good old days when hubby went up on all the neighbors roofs to do the lights - they were all afraid of heights!!! Oh what good memories even though they were all much younger w/families it was truly a great neighborhood of good friends!

And summer it was who had the best lawn ...we always won! My husband loved his landscaping & cutting the grass to perfection!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Spurt

Its a crazy thing but I love to clean (I think my mother was OCD & somehow it rubbed off on me!). I'm not as neat as spouse but I love Mondays & Thursdays when I clean & everything smells nice & fresh.   He has offered me many times to get my cleaning lady again BUT I do a better job (or I cleaned before she came).   

As for the life changing I think this week has been a emotional one. One year ago I lost a good friend who was like a dad to me, my nephew was killed & lost 2 great friends in the past few months.  

I do enjoy decorating my home.  It's a big job for my spouse to carry down from the attic all the stuff - this is the 1st time he has mentioned to me his ability to no longer do it. His back has really been a mess & I can understand where he is coming from.

I am always torn should I or shouldn't I for just us - although I love the ambiance it creates. I have a large family and of course, our home was the hub for all occasions & I thoroughly enjoyed it!

I guess I don't like change (I made a lot of sacrifices to give him "his dream" - retired early, moved, he chose the place, etc) & it's something I really didn't think about.  I met a lady recently at the pool & we are the same age (her spouse older also) and I think she nailed it "Love the environment, weather BUT not all the passing of people who live here" or the age difference (we both think it should be disclosed the average age😉).  It's a real wake-up call!

Tomorrow I'm sure I'll change my mind as I got some great ideas to re-organize my things on this thread.  Oh and went to pick up my table today -- boo hoo it was damaged! 

PS: @Julie928 great thread! I enjoy knowing we all have holiday space & other issues - lol😉