Trusted Contributor

Re: Holiday Decorating. Why do we do it?

My mom and step-mom always decorated their homes for each season (still do!), so I grew up living in/going to homes that were always warm and welcoming.  I always knew I would do the same for my family.

I think another part of it is the fact that I'm a teacher and by nature, most of us are "decorators."  We provide happy and "safe" spaces for our students because the classroom is their "home away from home."  Children LOVE seeing their classrooms decorated for each season.

I first started teaching in 2001 in an area where many of the children didn't have much.  I still remember how excited they were to see the room decorated for fall, Halloween, Thanksgiving, Winter Holidays, etc.  They would come in and be in awe of it because they didn't have that at home.  It really made me happy to be able to provide them with a happy (and hopefully memorable!) experience that they would take with them long after they left my classroom.

Now I get to do that for my own children... and hopefully they will do that for theirs.

Regular Contributor

I have always enjoyed decorating for holidays and the changing seasons, although I entered the downsizing mode a few years ago.  It makes me happy and brightens up the house.  My big seasons to decorate are fall and Christmas both inside and out. I usually just have wreaths on the doors and candles put out for the other seasons.  And I always have 2 seasonal flags hanging -- 1 on my front porch and 1 on the back deck.  I probably have 20-25 in my cache to choose from.

Honored Contributor

I do it because it reminds me of being a child!  I will always remember early Christmas experiences as some of the happiest moments of my entire life!  The years before my father passed were so happy, fun-filled and magical to me!  Not really about the presens, although those were nice, of course, but just the feeling.  My father was like a child at Christmas.  He got so excited and happy.  He was not one of those husbands or fathers who just sat back and let the women do everything and then just said --- oh, that's nice. He joined right in --- in fact, he was the ring leader!  It was because of him that I had/have such a love of Christmas and the whole season.  

I do it now --- even though each year it gets harder and harder to drag the boxes out --- in remembrance of him --- in honor of him --- and to preserve a tradition and loving and lovely memories that will remain in my heart as long as I am living!!!!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

It makes me smile.    I keep some of my nutcrackers out year round!

I remember one year I had MAJOR surgery in September.   I would never be able to decorate.   My late husband did if for me, he knew how much it meant.  He really took the time to make it special.  He also purchased a string of lights that played music.   I couldn't believe it!    It played Christmas songs, you could change the lights too from twinkling to running etc.    I'll never forget that Christmas.

Valued Contributor

@homedecor1 wrote:

@Gram W

Oh I am the same. I did it 2 years ago picked out what I loved & kept.  No one here decorates the outside of their homes for the holidays - perhaps because they are in another phase of life (and most are snowbirds).  I really don't know why.

I enjoy it BUT god forbid something happened to him the only storage I have is the attic & I sure couldn't go up those steps!!!  My closets are filled - I never thought about under the bed. I keep all my stuff in the original boxes.  I bet they would take up less space if I took them & reorganized.

You are so right - I go home for both holidays & now Halloween my GD loves to take me trick or treating!  I think I decorate because I enjoy it, my home looks festive & keeps my mental state in order! 

My spouse is a minimalist - always has been.  Plus, he didn't grow up in a home where his mother did anything for holidays, etc. so I'm sure he doesn't understand my love for home decor & more!

I totally understand his point but not easy to "let go!"  I'll let you know how I do "re-organizing" I'm sure he will be doing it soon because I'll be away for the month of September...& I know him too well😲😉

I've been in the process of organizing/purging all my decorations out in our shed.  I pulled everything out of the original boxes and wrapped all with bubble wrap and put in smaller clear labeled plastic bins which could be stacked on my two big origami racks.  It's been quite a process, but is coming together. 

I've been organizing by each holiday, so now I can just look in that section and pull out what I want, making everything easily accessible and easier to bring into the house.

I have donated several items to GoodWill and to family and am just pretty much sticking with my newer items, although I've saved some things from when the kids were younger. 

My hubbie likes the decorations once up, but does not like to help me whatso ever with it, so at least I can access all of them myself without asking him for help. 

He used to always put everything up top inside the garage, which made it impossible for me to get down (was NOT going up on that ladder)  ...so the shed is mostly mine, which is nice. 

I know it's a time consuming process, but it can be done and I wish you good luck in all your organizing...have a great day!

Respected Contributor

Seasonal decorating seems to lift my spirit!  I love the four seasons...though mostly fall and winter.   

Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!
Esteemed Contributor

I love to seasonal decorate, but as I've gotten older and health issues have come into play and I don't have the dinners and family get togethers I once had, I wonder why.  I do it because I like to see the change of seasons even if no one else sees it.  As long as I'm able, I will continue.  Sometimes it breaks my heart that no one else sees my lovely decorations.  But that's life I guess.

Respected Contributor

Hmmm read the entire thread and I guess I am the only one that isn't doing it cause of childhood memories or cause my Mom did it.  I do it cause I like it...makes me feel good when I see the different things I put out on display during the changing seasons.  My spouse and 3 boys have never really showed much interest.  Kinda lonely in that way but I still do it....for me!  

Lost alot of people close family and so on in my life in the last 4yrs....parents...MIL...my side of the family get together was at my home for Christmas but now things have changed and nobody is interested in getting together anymore.  

I still will do it cause it's for me.

I always liked the fantasy of what all that decorating meant in my mind as a young child.  I thought it meant "happiness....love...family closeness" things I desired but didn't have.  So when I got my 1st place I could finally do these things....or change it out when I wanted to.  

Honored Contributor

@qualitygal

good thinking! I think I'll inquire about this when I go to the monthly meeting at PACE in our area.  Your post also made me think of the hospice thrift stores.  

Thank you!

Esteemed Contributor

@Julie928. So many answers to your very interesting question! Just look at all the stories on this thread. For me, growing up Mennonite in the '50's, there was not much decorating. But, my mom did decorate for Christmas. We were not allowed to have a tree, but Mom put evergreens around the manger scene on the mantle, added a few festive candles here and there, and put a red table cloth on the table that was to hold our presents. Other than that, Mom used flowers throughout the seasons to brighten up the house. Christmas is is my biggest season for decorating, because, well, it's Christmas! However, I noticed my daughter and daughter-in-law decorating for other seasons; so, I started doing that as well. I guess I want them to know I cared enough to decorate for them. We use flameless candles throughout the year. They are my favorite kind of decoration.