Honored Contributor

Re: Hobby Lobby 5-26-2018 - Harvest has arrived

@conlt wrote:

I am headed to RI next week. My nephew said it was hot but you need a sweatshirt at night. I grew up in New England but have been in Florida for 38 years. Last year when I went up to NE it was 90 degrees and I thought I would die. No air conditioning in my sisters house, they open the windows of the car. In Florida we have the AC on all of the time, in the car and house except for a few short times in the winter when I have to put the heat on. I do live in NE Florida and it does freeze here. I guess I am so used to A/C that being in RI in the heat really got to me. 

Ohio here, and we don't have air conditioning at home either. Many in the north still live without it, as there is such a short period most years where it is necessary, especially if you live in the country, away from the heat of the cities. 

I know many of my family and friends who have air in this area, get rather 'hooked' on it and don't get outside or have the house closed up most of the summer, and miss a lot of the little good weather we get here.

Now the car is a different story. I can't function above 85 in a car without air. LOL

Valued Contributor

makes sense for people who hobby and craft....and maybe sell their crafts

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I might take a trip there next week to just browse.  I like to see decor items offered before the actual season/holiday hits.  For me, it's all about the anticipation.  Just because I buy an autumn wreath in June doesn't mean I'll display it.  I store it and once September hits its on our door or wall.

As a matter of fact, Pier 1 has an autumn wreath I've been drooling over since last year.  It is now being offered on their website, and I just might get it.  By the way, Pier 1 should start selling autumn items in their stores around the middle of July!

Honored Contributor

We can’t think of harvest yet. I just planted my flowers and got out my spring pretties!!

Honored Contributor

I agree that you do need to shop early to get the best selection because seasonal stuff is one order and it's gone.  They don't keep restocking.

I suspect the furniture was on clearance to make room for all the Christmas trees they sell.

I understand stocking the crafting stuff early because people need to start early, but none of the stuff out was crafting, it was all decor.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Respected Contributor

@nana59 wrote:

temp hit 92 here in RI today.....i hate the heat.....fall can't come soon enough!!

Love summer, heatwaves and all...bring it on! 😎🌞🏖

Respected Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@amyb wrote:

@VaBelle35 wrote:

I could not believe they were unpacking harvest decor today.

I will say, I saw 2 cute things, but I had to walk away.

?!?!?! Are ya flippin' kiddin' me?

I won't be even looking at that stuff until October.  In fact...that is the last time I'm even gonna say "O"... #SUMMERLOVE😎.

#Retail🙄😜. Ridiculous for them to put it out, who really is going to buy that now?

Of course everyone should shop when they want to, but by October, most harvest/fall will be gone at Hobby Lobby, and Christmas will have taken over. 

I do remember last year, that by around July 4th, harvest was in full stock and Christmas was beginning to come out at our HL .

People who want the best selection of seasonal decor get over the "I'll not shop till the season" tantrum, and buy when the retailers have it. I've never understood the aversion to simply buying whenever and wherever you find what you love at the right price. The calendar has nothing to do with my buying seasonal home decor pieces, only my desire for the right pieces at the right prices.

If you don't, someone else will, and those that didn't end up on these boards, whining about what they missed. Happens every year. 

I actually never have a problem buying fall things in fall, mostly pumpkins, foliage for the deck, have my own wreaths and decor etc I bring out...and I start here when the colors actually change to fall. That said...I guess retailers have figured out it works for them, as there are people who feel as you do, they love to shop for things as they see them!  

As for now,  I just got out all my summer things yesterday and am loving the way things feel lightened up! Smiley Happy  

Respected Contributor

A thread like this gets posted every year, and every year, I try to explain why the stores put seasonal decor out early as explained to me by a worker.  Places like HL get so much seasonal decor/craft items, that it literally takes them weeks and weeks to get things displayed.  And they have to keep in mind the Christmas items that come not long after the fall that also have to be displayed.  The decor and craft items come at the same time, so both are displayed at the same time.  People need the craft portion of the items for the items they make to sell at craft booths.  There are many craft shows around the fourth, and of course...tons in the fall.  People who do craft shows have to have a good quantity of items made before their first showing in order to have enough for any other shows that they might do.

I for one enjoy looking at and buying the new things!  

Honored Contributor

Yea!  Alabama here.  When the heat and humidity hit, I am yearning for fall!  

Respected Contributor

I saw autumn merchandise in our Hobby Lobby store too. I enjoyed looking at it. I’m no longer surprised to see retailers display their items early.