Honored Contributor

Re: Have You Begun Your Holiday Shopping?

@colliemom4 wrote:

@ECBG wrote:

@colliemom4 wrote:

@ECBG  Oh that candy looks good. My dad is still alive and he'd love something like that. I'll keep it in mind. I've heard a lot of people around his age saying if we can't eat it we don't need it lol. My in laws are both still alive as well. They're almost 90.

I don't do a lot of gift buying anymore. I give my grown kids money and their birthdays are around the holidays so they do get gifts. I usually buy them small gifts for Christmas as well. We have quite a few siblings but don't exchange with them or their kids. We're not all in the same states anyway. You sound like such a sweet mother in law. What a blessing that is and one I wouldn't know about. I know I sound awful but it is what it is. We're not in the same state so I don't have to deal with her much.

@colliemom4 

Thank you for the lovely compliment. 

If you need gifts, I have tasted so many things from companies and having had so many Foods, and Advanced Foods labs, I can assure you that the family at River Streets Sweets has the best everything, all individually wrapped!Smiley Happy

@ECBG  Thank you. I have heard about this candy company before. My sister was married to someone from the South Carolina Georgia area and I believe that's how I heard about it. My dad has a major sweet tooth. So does my husband. I may order some for us for the holidays lol. I haven't had anything like that in a long time and it certainly sounds good. There was a candy store near me and they closed it down. I have ordered my dad cakes before but I can't recall the name of the place they were from. I do know he loved them. He needs to eat more regular food. He's in good health but thin.

@colliemom4 

You could get your dad the loaf size cakes.  If he wants dessert, he'll get it though.Smiley Happy

Regular Contributor

I have been blessed as many of you have . I have informed my family that I will no longer be baking or gifting . They are all blessed and can donate for those that are in need. As long as I have a roof over our heads and food on our table . Forgo the stress and donate to the needy . 

Honored Contributor

@ECBG  Too cold for ice cream but this looks good LOL!

ice cream.PNG

Respected Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

@mousiegirl 

Get her a box of homemade treasures from River Street Sweets of Savannah, Ga.  These handmade candies are unequaled! (and individually wrapped!).

Everytime I see these presented on air I want to order them so badly!!  I tell myself they are bad for me...they are total sugar...don't do it LOLWoman LOL  But I still want them....

Honored Contributor

@mousiegirl 

Glad you are happy shopping online!  I'm really not!  I am one who loves to shop in person and I have always gotten such a kick out of it.  I loved the whole experience -- the place, the sights, the sounds, the people, the merchandise!  Around the holidays --- such fun!  So festive and happy!  I will miss it so very much!!!! 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

I have bought some material to sew aprons for DIL and grands but that's far from completion as my sewing slow!  I think we are definitely going toward simplicity and want to suggest more charitable acts.  If I have needs I purchase what I want.  

I smiled at discussion of chocolates.  MIL always made chocolate candies for FIL but I never knew she enjoyed chocolate.  So now at 99 she is getting chocolate.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ECBG : Just received catalogue from Savanna's Candy Kitchen plus found on line a coupon for 20% off! This is the same family and products like the River City Sweets. We always gift a special family the bulk gift box of 50 pralines. They love them because individually wrapped. With the 20% off and free shipping best deal. All ready ordered the pralines for the Christmas gift and a Thanksgiving gift. DH purchased my Christmas gift yesterday from Sam's for $229 the Kitchenaid bonus Professional lift mixer. He was supposed to purchase the Artisian mixer for $189 and it was already sold out.

Honored Contributor

223F6A9A-34E3-4DFE-8B13-5FEAF162B58E.jpeg

Super Contributor

I have done some.  Probably a few more gifts to go.  My family is pretty small and except for my 20 something neice  it is mostly gift cards.   

Esteemed Contributor

My shopping is 60% cash and gift cards.  I'm all done but that.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown