Frequent Contributor

Has anyone experienced serious quality issues with CIJ Decor figurines?

Five yrs ago when I relocated from north of Boston MA to a downsized home 1000 miles away in TN mtn I made the decision to sell alll my Christmas decor both indoors and outdoors - it was a lot.  I did save a couple cherished items.  This past year I made the decision to buy new with specific vignettes in mind.  I remembered Valerie Parr Hill offered a number of really nice items and turned into CIJ and purchased $300 worth.  Today they started arriving and as I opened box after box, I was sickened by the lack of quality in the merchandise. 

H231488  3-Piece Snowman Family with Cardinals  I watched the presentation and reviewed the recorded presentations and examined the items to determine if I felt they were worth the $44.75 on sale 20% off.  I placed the order.  When opening the box each figure had a different finishing treatment, the larger figurine a dull dirty brown color.  The figures were described as “Resin construction with the look of carved wood”.  The smaller figure looks like its paper mâché with strips of white paper that appear to be glued on the resin, then a “mod podge” type product over the entire surface.   The middle figure looks like a resin figure with grooves that look like wood carving which I think is what the goal was. The surface of the figures is not enamel paint that is used over resin but instead is a tacky surface.  I merely placed them back in the box – they’re going back as defective not as presented. 

H230205  3-Piece Illuminated Porcelain Santa in Sleigh (white)   $74.50 on sale 20% off  Reminiscent of Czechoslovakian Christmas ornaments of the 1960-70's this porcelain set replicates old world glazing that Valerie bragged about.  I looked at product pictures, watched the presentation video and made sure that the set was worth $44.63.  The sleigh and Santa have ZERO fine gold trim paint (usually applied once item is glazed and fired.  Santa’s hair is light brown. The reindeer do have the gold trim paint but it looks like a child painted them with thick broad brush strokes that often completely miss the area intended to be trimmed – like the bridle.  There are glops of paint dripped on the figures – simply sloppy work.  Under NO conditions would this quality pass a $44.63 sale price let alone a $74.50 price tag.

Of 7 orders received today, I’m sending all but one maybe two back.  There’s no excuse for this lack of quality control on pricey Christmas décor.  Items that had glitter look like they were haphazardly dipped in glue and glitter applied in gobs not covering the entire area.  Figures were chipped.  Evergreen trees with colored ornaments intended to have colored glitter on the ornaments, instead were on the figure approx. 1/2inch surrounding the ornament.  Really mindless sloppiness.

I'm not a complainer and don't like sending merchandise back.  I try to make sure I know what I'm buying.  But I'm stunned at what I opened today.  None of this was cheap.  Is Valerie that brain dead to the quality of merchandise being sent out?  Have any of you experienced this?

Honored Contributor

Re: Has anyone experienced serious quality issues with CIJ Decor figurines?

@SEGardener About a year ago I was briefly tempted to purchase one of her items but read so many posts about the bad quality of some stuff I took a pass.

Did you read the reviews of any of these items before you ordered?

Honored Contributor

@SEGardener  Thankful that you had the ability to return.  I'm sure that you will be able to find quality Christmas decorations.  Perhaps when you find a brand you like, if it is online, you might want to try one out to see if it appeals to you before ordering several.  Good luck!

Frequent Contributor

@Love my grandkids wrote:

@SEGardener About a year ago I was briefly tempted to purchase one of her items but read so many posts about the bad quality of some stuff I took a pass.

Did you read the reviews of any of these items before you ordered?

No, because the reviews are typically thin and many complaints were about items received late last season, etc.  Based on what I saw presented I would have purchased even if I had read those reviews.  The serious quality issues are unacceptable.

Respected Contributor

you'd want to add your review to the items.

potential buyers would see your review but not many would see this post.

~~who/what is responsible for your joy? YOU!~~
Frequent Contributor

Actually I bought a porcelain music box and water globe from Asian sellers on Amazon and was pleasantly surprised at the quality.  QVC has a ways to go in overcoming passing off shabby merchandise.  Maybe that's why the Qurate Retail Group (QVC owner) has posted losses past two quarters.

Trusted Contributor

@SEGardener I'm so sorry you were disappointed with your CIJ items. I know how exciting it is when your package arrives. I ordered several items and all have met or exceeded my expectations. However, they all had great reviews. Don't give up, there's been a lot of very nice items. Good thing is you can return them as defective and get your money back.

Respected Contributor

In general, I would say the quality of decor items from QVC is inconsistent.  If you have local sources, it's better to shop there where you can see and feel the product before purchasing.  I'm sorry the items you ordered were not worth keeping.

Respected Contributor

@SEGardener 

Do you have a TJMaxx nearby?  They have lots of seasonal decor with Christmas items coming fairly soon. Same with Costco.

Honored Contributor

I wonder if perhaps the Chinese manufacturers are have labor problems similar to ours and are grabbing any unskilled, untrained, untalented workers they can find.  Or they may have a bunch of people who are so pressured, they just don't give a darn.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment