Respected Contributor

Re: Harry Slatkin Candles!!!

@Pecky wrote:

@World Traveler Oh my, we do think a like as I was thinking of canceling my Midnight Moon order as well but after what @kittykatkay said, I changed my mind LOL.

@Pecky @World Traveler ....DON'T YOU DARE cancel "Midnight Moon"....it will haunt you if you do.  Just go back and watch the presentation and see that GORGEOUS moon glowing.  That will settle both of you down and put your mind at ease, lol.

See the source image

Regular Contributor

kittykatkay, World Traveler, and Pecky, I have a question for you experts. I got the three TSV fall candles and have been burning the apple pie one, but the wicks hardly stay lit and it doesn’t form a pool all the way out to the edge. Can hardly smell it because it’s barely warm. Since the first burn I put it out by placing the lid on, like Harry says. I haven’t trimmed wicks either because he says you shouldn’t. Are they all going to be like this? Do you have this problem?
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@whatsmyname wrote:
kittykatkay, World Traveler, and Pecky, I have a question for you experts. I got the three TSV fall candles and have been burning the apple pie one, but the wicks hardly stay lit and it doesn’t form a pool all the way out to the edge. Can hardly smell it because it’s barely warm. Since the first burn I put it out by placing the lid on, like Harry says. I haven’t trimmed wicks either because he says you shouldn’t. Are they all going to be like this? Do you have this problem?

@whatsmyname .......  sorry that you are having trouble with this particular candle set.  Does this set have the 3 wick or the 4 wick?  I try and stay away from the 3 wicks because I feel as though the 4 wicks burn better.  

I did have the same trouble as you mentioned long ago with one of Harry's 3 wick candles and what I did was light it again and then let it burn for about 30 minutes, put the top on to extinguish the flame and then pour the melted wax out (in an empty coffee can), then wait until it cools and light it again.  Sometimes, with his 3 wick candles, it seems as though there may be too much "candle oil" versus the length of the wick and it was "drowning" in the excess candle oil.  Try this and see if pouring off the oil helps make the wick a "little taller" if you will...to keep the flame burning.

As I have stated above, I prefer his 4 wick candles versus his 3 wick, as they burn more evenly and I've never had to "pour off" any candle oil with my 4 wicks.

Also......as far as trimming the wicks, ....after I put the top of the candle on to extinguish the flame, .....the next time before I light the candle, I do what Harry says to do.  Turn the candle upside down (over my trash can) and pull gently the burned part off and then light your candle.  Do this each time in between burnings.  I hope this helps.  But, if your TSV is not a 4 wick, may I suggest you try his 4 wick candles next time.

I am sure that @Pecky and @World Traveler have some helpful tips.  Meanwhile, please join us in this thread anytime. The more the merrier.

Regular Contributor

Kittykatkay, this set has the three wicks. I ordered four sets thinking I would gift some of them, but I’m afraid to now because of this problem. I’ll try your suggestions with a different one and see if it’s any better. If not I may send back. Burning a candle shouldn’t be such high maintenance! I do have some four wicks on order; the country apple butter and the pumpkin caramel drizzle (waitlist). I will focus on the four wicks from here on out. Thank you for your help! 😊
Respected Contributor

@whatsmyname wrote:
Kittykatkay, this set has the three wicks. I ordered four sets thinking I would gift some of them, but I’m afraid to now because of this problem. I’ll try your suggestions with a different one and see if it’s any better. If not I may send back. Burning a candle shouldn’t be such high maintenance! I do have some four wicks on order; the country apple butter and the pumpkin caramel drizzle (waitlist). I will focus on the four wicks from here on out. Thank you for your help! 😊

@whatsmyname ....You are so welcome!  yes, try this again.  HOWEVER, if you are going to gift these, then it may be wise to send these back.  Your recipients would not want to go through this hassle, nor would you want them to. 

If you do decide to send these back, may I suggest that you call customer service and explain the problem and that they were for gifts and you are not happy with giving them as gifts.  Ask for not only a refund but that they note in your account NOT to be charged for return.  Just a suggestion, as they seem defective.

I am glad you are ordering the 4 wick candles.  Please let us know what you decide to do with the above 3 wick and how you like your 4 wick when you receive them.  

Please join us on this thread anytime.....we would love to have your thoughts and opinions and share the joy in the candles we do receive.

Respected Contributor

I just received my set of the "Caramel Apple Spiced Tea".  It smells devine.  I see that this set, as well as many others, are on waitlist. 

I'm waiting on my Autumn Pumpkin Patch.  Hmmmm, I ordered them the same time and only my caramel apple has arrived.  Oh well, I can wait, lol.

HomeWorx by Harry Slatkin S/2 Caramel Apple Spice 18oz Candles - H227639

Honored Contributor

@whatsmyname Good advice from @kittykatkay . Follow her instructions, AND definitely go with the four-wick candles, not only in Slatkin's candles but anyone's candles. The burn is so much more even and you will use them more because you are not trying to compensate for the uneven burn pool, which leaves some wax on the sides by the glass.

Respected Contributor

Can anyone describe the scent "all through the house"?  Thanks!!

Honored Contributor

I cannot because I haven't purchased it, but I just wanted to say that your QVC nickname would be a perfect-sounding scent for Harry to do next! Heart

He's very creative with labeling his candles and their corresponding scents. He has Midnight Moon, so I could imagine him doing Moon and the Stars.

@moonandthestars 

Honored Contributor

@whatsmyname  I have had some issues with his 3 wicks and what I do is when the wax is soft I will take a knife and go around the edge where the wax hasn't melted and scrap it out.  It then makes it more even and burns evenly.  I only have to do it once and then it's ok. (I hope that made sense).  With that said I am only purchasing this 4 wicks and never had any issues.  They burn even and the flame is bright.  Around The House smells exactly like BBW Leaves if you ever have tried it.  It has a spicey scent of pear and cinnamon and evergreen.  It smells wonderful.