Regular Contributor

Harry Slakin Homeworx TSV of July 10

Well,  I opened my TSV candles from July 10 - The pear candle smells - like a standard pear body lotion.Smiley Indifferent I have had many a candle from Harry Slakin's line way before he hit the BBW/QVC world.  I was expecting a little more of an elegant scent.  I am a bit  dissapointed,  I am wondering on all the other scents offered, were they up to the discription hype?  I would like to know all your opinions on the scents and the throw.  Thanks ! 

Thank you for the air time folks. Happy Sunday all. 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Harry Slakin Homeworx TSV of July 10

@NYCMOM 

I bought the  pear candle  because I had bought 2 of the Partridge in a Pear Tree candle last yr that was in a pear shaped container. Last year's candle had more of the heliotrope and red pepper berries scent than these smaller ones.  I  still love the pear scent  and  bought some to give as gifts .

Wonder if some ingredients were difficult to obtain in quantities ?

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@NYCMOM   I ordered and received the Winter Snowfall set and am very pleased with the scent.  It is composed of mint, euchalyptus, and holly berry.

I am a repeat customer of his candles and found and purchased them at Bath and Body Works before his line with them was discontinued and was picked up by QVC.

This latest set seems up to his usual high standards and his stellar ability to create unique scents.   If burned according to directions they do have a wonderful throw and burn all the way down in the jar, so despite a higher price there is no waste, unlike many other brands.

I once bought online a very unique small, straight sided oversized votive Nest candle that had a three dimensional antiqued silver dragon standing on the cover in the Natori scent sold at Neiman Marcus during a lunchtime flash sale about fifteen years ago on a deeply discounted sale.  I think I recall that this brand was owned by Harry Slatkin's wife, Laura Slatkin.  I believe this company was sold about five years ago.

I burned that candle down all they way, using it in my daily morning meditation, and still have the small, deep purple jar.  When I open it it still retains its lovely fragrance and drifts across the room.  

I use that jar in my Halloween vignette display.  Soooo expensive so I couldn't buy more from that line and never found this scented candle, or unique container, again.

Of course, I have not lit the Winter Snowfall yet so will post again if these turn out to be unsatisfactory.

Have a lovely rest of the weekend.

aroc3435

Washington, DC

Frequent Contributor

I also bought the Harry Slakin "Partridge in a Pear Tree" in July and was not impressed. Throw was very faint and not much pear scent. But very pleased with the other scents. I only buy when on sale and free shipping.

Respected Contributor

@catsgalore5354 wrote:

I also bought the Harry Slakin "Partridge in a Pear Tree" in July and was not impressed. Throw was very faint and not much pear scent. But very pleased with the other scents. I only buy when on sale and free shipping.

Many on the chat boards have complained about his prices. The candles also seem to come from Vietnam. I only purchase soy candles manufactured in the USA. Support small businesses.

Trusted Contributor

@Reever wrote:

@catsgalore5354 wrote:

Many on the chat boards have complained about his prices. The candles also seem to come from Vietnam. I only purchase soy candles manufactured in the USA. Support small businesses.

Which small business company do you purchase the candles from?

“The fear of becoming old is born of the recognition that one is not living now the life that one wishes. It is equivalent to a sense of abusing the present.” Susan Sontag
Regular Contributor

Thank you everyone !  I appreciate the feedback...I will try my hand at a different scent profile next time.  I dont know but sometimes I feel quality is not always up to par when "boutique or regional items" are mainstreamed to QVC's country wide platform.  

Again thank you all for taking the time to respond. 

Have a wonderful week ahead ! 

And Happy Fall.....

Esteemed Contributor

@NYCMOM 

@NYCMOM wrote:

Well,  I opened my TSV candles from July 10 - The pear candle smells - like a standard pear body lotion.Smiley Indifferent I have had many a candle from Harry Slakin's line way before he hit the BBW/QVC world.  I was expecting a little more of an elegant scent.  I am a bit  dissapointed,  I am wondering on all the other scents offered, were they up to the discription hype?  I would like to know all your opinions on the scents and the throw.  Thanks ! 

Thank you for the air time folks. Happy Sunday all. 

I  also brought ,  but have not been impressed with his latest, so skipped.  He used to have better candles IMO. BBW just as good and better price when on sale.