Respected Contributor

@Beauty Maven wrote:

Thanks for the tip @GenXmuse -- There is an Aldi in my neighborhood.  I never thought to look there, but it makes sense that they would have have European chocolate since they're a German company.  I appreciate the suggestion!

Their chocolate chips are great for baking, only $1.89 a bag. @Beauty Maven 

Valued Contributor

OOH -- another great tip @panda1234!  I just got a recipe for red velvet cake cookies, and they have chocolate chips in them so I'm gonna pick up a bag.  Thanks!

Honored Contributor

@dulwich wrote:

@Beauty Maven   Never had these chocolates are they as good as they look?

@dulwich   I prefer See's, it is so much better.

Honored Contributor

@Beauty Maven wrote:

@dulwich-- I've never had them either.  I just thought the boxes, and now the tins with the individually wrapped chocolates would make beautiful gifts.  And yes, I'll keep a tin at my house for visitors, to use in gift bags, or to eat ;o)  Hopefully, I don't eat 5 lbs of candy all by myself!!  I'll report back on the quality of the chocolate -- a job I will take very seriously!!!!!

@Beauty Maven   I used to buy two 6 lb tins for DD's friends and teachers, don't buy them any longer.

Esteemed Contributor

@mousiegirl 

Thanks for remind me about Sees. 

I wanted to send something nice to an elderly friend, and this would be a good idea.  Thought about cookies, but those are hit and miss.

Don't think you can go wrong with a box of Sees!

Esteemed Contributor

I also find Harry's candy just 'good', but not great.  The chocolate is waxy and the flavors are not unique enough.  I buy the candy from Gianno's at HSN.  There is also a nice big tin for a good price!  I like the flavors and the density of the

chocolate much better!!

Honored Contributor

We used to order the HL chocolates in the tin. We liked them. Not gourmet, but good. Didn’t think they were waxy at all. We liked them for holiday gatherings because they were individually wrapped & labeled, and everyone could select what they wanted as a treat. We stopped ordering them a few years ago because it was just too large a quantity. We also like to buy locally made chocolates now. 

Esteemed Contributor

As recommended on the forums I tried Aldi's  Moser Roth milk chocolate and it's much better then HL. It's like Belgium chocolate that I had while in Europe. 
 Last year I ordered the HL  tin soldiers. Cute packaging, and I bought the houses for several years. The candy isn't nearly as good as it used to be. 
  The Roth looks like one large bar but inside it's smaller individually wrapped like a snack size.  Some is boxed also. I'll be giving some as extra gifts this year!

Super Contributor

I also agree that Harry London chocolates are just "okay".  Not the yummy-ness that I would have expected from everyone cutting into them and ooohing and aaahing over them.  I would say the Whitman Sampler is about the same quality.

Respected Contributor

@mousiegirl wrote:

@dulwich wrote:

@Beauty Maven   Never had these chocolates are they as good as they look?

@dulwich   I prefer See's, it is so much better.

i would agree that see's is much better. it's also about double the price.  I just recieved these. i got the 5lb box for $50 as the op pointed out. 

are they the "best" chocolate? no, but they are pretty good. way better than say something like whitmans, or ??

the tin with 5# will be good for about 10 small gifts.

i think its a great value. 

just tried my first pretzel one, yum.