Valued Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

Retailers have customers trained, like Pavlov's dogs.  They know if they show items out of season, even ridiculously far out of season, that bell goes off in shoppers heads and they buy, buy, buy.  If the Halloween candy is out, customers will buy it and eat and keep at it until Halloween comes.  It's like CIJ, if the retailers didn't push it, no one would even think about buying Christmas stuff in July.  The hottest July on record at that.  That's why the Valentine's Day candy and cards and knick Knacks go out the day after Christmas.  The CVS near me actually put Valentines Day stuff out a week before Christmas last year. It does keep money pumping into the economy, so it's not all bad.     

@chrystaltree  Maybe not compare people to dogs?

Valued Contributor

Re: Halloween in July

[ Edited ]

That is retail and it's always been like that.  It's also like that in fashion.  The Fall fashions that are previewed in New York are shown in Spring and the Spring fashions are previewed in the Fall.  I worked in retail for a few years and this is the norm.  Our particular store started receiving our Halloween and Fall candy and merchandise in August.  Most stores have specified shipment days when your merchandise comes in.  We received a truck shipment once a week on one particular day.  You have to keep your stock and inventory moving, especially if you don't have a lot of storage room.  Some merchandise would move to the back of our store on sale while other merchandise would be shipped back to our home office store. We were located in a mall so our storage space was limited. Retail is a fast paced business and things have to be done in advance.  Our store manager was an expert at decoratng and would have our store done right before Labor Day with all our Fall and Halloween items and signage immediately displayed.  Some customers would buy early and would love it while others would just browse around.  I don't recall ever hearing any customer complaints.  I myself loved it.  I got to see everything come in early and with an employee discount, woohoo!