Honored Contributor

I live in a townhouse community and I thoroughly enjoy Halloween.  Probably get about 25-30 kids every year.  Fun for them, fun for me.

Respected Contributor

For the last 3 or 4 years, there have been no kids door to door trick-or-treating in my area.  It seems the township and other groups have organized 'Trunk-or-Treat'.  That's where those that want to participate for their kids have candy set up in the trunk of their cars and are all parked in a open area or parking lot so kids can go from one car trunk to another to get candy.  It seems to work and, for the most part, is safer than door-to-door trick or treating these days.  

Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!
Trusted Contributor

Halloween is not my favorite holiday but I do enjoy the trick or treaters but then we only get like maybe 20.  I don't buy a ton of candy and any leftover I might have I take into work.  November 1 it's all about Christmas for this woman.

Honored Contributor

I live close to a fire station, I give them my candy.

All the neighborhood kids go there.

There may be some that go door to door but my lights stay off and it's rather quiet every year.

I loved it when I was a kid, obviously

Super Contributor

There are no children in my immediate neighborhood, so I don't buy candy.  All the local schools have Fall Festivals and several churches in the area have trick or treating in their parking lots.  I am sure they could use volunteers.

6 years ago (the last time I opened my door) there were 3 teen boys not dressed in costume but with pillowcases.  They didn't even say anything - coming or going - just stood on the porch with their pillowcases open. 

Honored Contributor

@kjayr   I hate Halloween too.  My dogs go berserk every knock on the door....very stressful. And if I turnoff the lights.... they keep coming.....😡

Honored Contributor

Not too many kids in our area, and those that are here go to Halloween parties instead of trick or treating door to door......I donate some candy to a friend that hosts a kids Halloween party....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Valued Contributor

I love everything about Halloween, except the trick or treating. I often shut the lights. I might sit with neighbors this year. You can hand out snacks like pretzels instead of candy.

Esteemed Contributor

@kjayr  When I was a kid, we didn't observe Halloween for religious reasons. And it KILLED me! I loved dressing up!  So, when my kids were growing up, I let them go out; and we had a neighborhood block party to make sure everyone got to see all the costumes. Back then we got about 80 kids. Our Lab and Maine Coon just loved welcoming the Haloweeners! Two years ago, our neighbor and best friend passed away a few days before Halloween. The hole in our lives was so great, I couldn't think about welcoming Halloweeners. But I forced myself to do it. I'm so glad I did. Those adorable children lifted us out of a very dark place. But, this isn't answering your question. I liked the neighbor idea someone else suggested. Another idea would be to ask a neighborhood teen, who maybe doesn't have plans, to hand out candy at your house. You could tell them they can even dress up if they want to. We have a neighbor who has Autism and doesn't do much socializing, but he's a Scout and very responsible. I know he would like to do something like that.

Honored Contributor

You can put up some decorations inside your home to put yourself in the spirit but keep the lights out so that you won't be bothered by trick or treators.