Esteemed Contributor

I'm alone and the doorbell bothers the dogs. I can't open the door with them. I've put candy outside but usually get only a few kids .  The houses are far from the dark streets.

This year my street is having a Halloween pot luck at the grassy circles and people are to bring treats for the kids so they don't have the long walks. 
   Older folks can participate without opening doors. Or stay home.

Esteemed Contributor

When I was a kid, Halloween was fun.  We dressed up in home made outfits w/masks.  Now days everything has to be over the top, gory, scary, gross, bloody, vulgar, violent. 

I do not like Halloween anymore and do not participate.

Trusted Contributor

Sometimes I do not feel like opening the door and giving out candy, but then I think back to the fun I had as a kid trick-or-treating.  I'm sure there were a lot of people then also that did not want to do it, but because they did, it gave me a lot of great childhood memories.  So, I just figure it's my time now to give nice memories to today's children - I open my door and give out candy and meet a lot of nice children and their parents in our neighborhood.

Honored Contributor

Hi, @kjayr --  I think there is no "right" or "wrong" way to go in a case like this.  We've gone both ways.  Our street gets tons of Hallowe'eners between the hours of 6:00 and 8:00 p.m. which is the town's designated time for trick or treating.

Many's the time we've manned the front door, armed with bowls and bowls of candy.  That can be fun.  But it's perfectly acceptable to keep the porch light off, and let the kids stream on to houses that are set up for treating.

After all, it's purely a voluntary holiday, meant to be simple and fun, not onerous.  I do prefer the simple ones of my childhood, where it was not such a big deal, certainly not in the adult world.  One day of candy and improvised costumes, and no pressure!  You're under no obligation to participate in this one event.

Whatever you do that day, hope you enjoy to the fullest.

Honored Contributor

Kjayr: Haven't read all the answers,so forgive me if I am repeating some things. 

You do not have to give out candy or anything for that matter.

Small bags of pretzels or crackers

Pencils

Notebooks

Some of my suggestions are dated and I am sorry.

Years ago we lived in a development-there was a teenager w/a motor scooter that went from house to house. I thought that was wrong!

When I lose the TV controller, it's always in some remote destination.
Honored Contributor

I've never been a big Halloween decorator. I just never got into it, and I have nothing Halloween in my decor anymore. I do enjoy seeing other people go all out, and when I took my kid into town to go trick or treating I so enjoyed all the work some people put into it. 

We live in the country and most of my adult life we have not lived anywhere that we had trick or treaters and it makes me sad. When my kid was little, we took him to friend's houses in town and participated there, and I would get to pass out candy and have the fun of the season. 

In many areas the trick or treating is out of control. Van loads of kids being brought in from other areas, older kids in high school with no costumes just showing up and expecting (demanding) candy. It's just not like it used to be, and I can see if someone lives in an area where it isn't very well regulated or controlled it might be easier to just not participate. 

I wish we lived in town where we could participate. Since my son has grown up, and I remember how much he loved it, I'd like to be giving back to the little ones of today more, but we live out so far we never get any beggars!

Respected Contributor

I'm 69 and I still  love Halloween. As soon as Oct.1st rolls around I have the same excitement as when I was a child. My children always loved Halloween and now my granddaughter does.  I can certainly understand someone living alone being afraid to open the door but I am not one of those. My house is decorated and I'll buy candy but sadly I live in a neighborhood with no children. I would love to have trick or treaters. If you or your children enjoyed Halloween trick or treating it was because neighbors back then made an effort to let kids have this one night a year for fun. It's not like it happens evey month. And going to a parking lot and getting a ton of cany from cars is not trick or treating in my book. But to each his own.