Regular Contributor

@kjayr wrote:

Anyone else out there not a fan of Halloween? I am in my 60's, live alone and have shut my lights off on Halloween night for the past few years. I live in a very large, friendly and safe neighborhood but don't want to be opening my front door to all of the trick/treaters. I also have type II diabetes and don't want to have all that candy around, but I am trying to do better and participate in Halloween at some level. Any suggestions on a good compromise?

I don't blame you one bit.  I think the suggestion above of maybe having a neighbor give out your candy as well is great.  Kudos to you for still wanting to take part anyway.  

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Halloween Humbug

[ Edited ]

I have family members who live in neighborhoods that have 100 - 200 kids! I guess it depends on the neighborhood you live in, but I couldn't deal with that. We get maybe 10 to 20 kids and that's fine for a few hours - I shut the lights off and close the door at 8:00. Maybe drop off a bag of candy at the local fire station and go to a movie, or just participate at home for an hour or two - and then turn off the lights. No need to feel guilty!

Respected Contributor

@kjayr I am not a fan of Halloween since I was a child.  Every year my home town would have a parade from our elementary school to the town hall where our costumes were judged and we had refreshments..  My mother was a wonderful seamstress and she always made my costumes.  Every day before the parade I would come home from school and we would try my costume on to see how it was fitting.  I won the contest two years in a row.  It was mine.  So I was ready for the parade in my pirate costume.  I came home from school for the last fitting and Mother said, I have bad news.  They canceled the Halloween Parade.  Apparently there were no too many kids and no adult wanted to volunteer to run the parade and contest.  I could not beleve they could cancel my parade ...I owned it.  Since then I  have never liked Halloween.  I also live alone now and don't open my door.  It is not the same as in years past when my mother made wondersul pouches of candy to give out and enjoyed opening the door to see the kids.

Honored Contributor

All the kids in my neighborhood either go somewhere else or have grown up and moved away.

Last year didn’t have any......

I like seeing the children.  When my girls were young we had lots of Halloween parties.

Their friends still talk about our awesome parties.

A totally dark room...peeled grapes for eyeballs, almond slivers for fingernails, chicken bones for ... well..bones and on and on...

Bob for apples, fun stuff....

We gave our girls a life we used to dream about when we were kids...A great childhood.

Honored Contributor

@kjayr wrote:

Anyone else out there not a fan of Halloween? I am in my 60's, live alone and have shut my lights off on Halloween night for the past few years. I live in a very large, friendly and safe neighborhood but don't want to be opening my front door to all of the trick/treaters. I also have type II diabetes and don't want to have all that candy around, but I am trying to do better and participate in Halloween at some level. Any suggestions on a good compromise?

Don’t open the door 

leave the candy at the steps or driveway etc with a sign 

i think u should not feel forced to participate 

Respected Contributor

In 15 years, I've had exactly three sets of children and none for probably ten years.  I keep some quarters handy just in case..  I figure I can give each child 4 quarters and they can buy their own candy.  

Respected Contributor

I had so much fun with my friends making Halloween crafts in school and trick or treating. The kids in our family are just as excited about the holiday today. They spend weeks mulling over their costumes or planning parties with friends. And their teachers have so many great ideas for fall artwork! So no, I am not a Halloween humbug. Now, if I lived on the street in our town that gets literally hundreds of kids every year, I might run for the hills. Every situation is different.

Respected Contributor

I put a big bowl of candy out with a sign - it works.

Honored Contributor

Never liked halloween even as a kid.  Years ago there were kids from the neighborhood and the thing was to  guess who everyone was but now they are driven around from neighborhood to neighborhood.  That is just not safe.  Parents tell their kids not to talk to strangers and never to accept anything from strangers then send them to homes of complete strangers to get candy.  Even with a parent with them it makes no sense.

Esteemed Contributor

I like Halloween but prefer having activities at school, the mall or local apple farm.

My daughter throws away over half my Granddaughters candy because she gets so much going around the neighborhood and only eats the stuff she likes.

When I worked they told us NOT to bring Halloween candy to work because no one ate it there either.