Honored Contributor

Re: Hallmark Channel showing Christmas movies Fri,

This must be their "Christmas in July ... er... April" programming? 

Respected Contributor

This one isn't on the schedule, but I LOVED "The Christmas List" with Alicia Witt, & the lead man from "Christmas at Catwright's". Those 2 have such great chemistry, & the movie is so cute. That actor is really good!

Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

i will be anxiously awaiting @VaBelle35 and her 2018 holiday hallmark movie thread......maybe in july? Smiley Wink

in the meantime.......

LIFETIME is doing 14 new holiday movies for the 2018 christmas season!

http://itsawonderfulmovie.blogspot.com/2018/03/Lifetime-Announces-14-New-Christmas-Movies-2018-Holid...

and

HALLMARK is debuting 34 new holiday movies for the 2018 season!

http://ew.com/tv/2018/03/21/hallmark-christmas-movies-2018/

we are going to be doing some serious holiday movie watching ladies.

@sunshine45  Ha!  Hallmark is slowly letting new out each day.

We're getting another Garage Sale Mystery Month in August this year.  4 new movies.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

i will be anxiously awaiting @VaBelle35 and her 2018 holiday hallmark movie thread......maybe in july? Smiley Wink

in the meantime.......

LIFETIME is doing 14 new holiday movies for the 2018 christmas season!

http://itsawonderfulmovie.blogspot.com/2018/03/Lifetime-Announces-14-New-Christmas-Movies-2018-Holid...

and

HALLMARK is debuting 34 new holiday movies for the 2018 season!

http://ew.com/tv/2018/03/21/hallmark-christmas-movies-2018/

we are going to be doing some serious holiday movie watching ladies.

I saw a few days ago, about th 34 new Hallmark movies this year alone.

I'm fearful that this won't bode well for us getting to see any of the older movies, as they tend to beat the new ones to death during the season. 

We don't get the Movies and Mysteries channel, so I know I'm already missing some of the best ones as they air the less romantic ones there. 

But some of the 'classic' Hallmarks just aren't aired anymore, or maybe once in the middle of the night now. I don't think I've seen a Mrs. Miracle movie in two years or more.

My answer has just been to buy some of my favorites, but 34 new movies for one season is an awful lot. Most of them are going to be cut rate, as many of their newer ones have been. I can't believe the final four that aired the other day held that movie where the girl lies about being engaged when going to her cousin and ex finace's wedding, then decorates a house for and falls in love with the guy who helped her out. 

The acting in that movie, the sets, everything is cut rate, in my opinion. THat lead actress is painful to watch she is so bad. Hallmark is cranking these out now with little regard to the quality.

I fear the are going to ruin the 'brand' with sloppy and quick (and probably cheap) work. I'd much rather see 5 to 10 really well done new movies each year, and have them keep many of their older classics running as well, than to see these turn into complete train wrecks. 

And I've said it many times before, but the whole romance thing has gotten almost sickening. Christmas is about so much more than romance, and many (most) of the channels that are making holiday films have abandoned more family oriented stories, or stories that focus on other aspects of the holiday (charity, family,) for increasingly cheesy and poorly done romance films. 

Movies like "A Dog Named Christmas", "Silent Night" (the one with Linda Hamilton), "The Town Christmas Forgot", "Christmas for a Dollar" as well as great classic comedies like "Home Alone" or "Christmas with the Kranks" are sorely missing in new productions. And many of these are hard to find even aired anywhere during the season (Home Alone and Kranks the exceptions here). 

It must be expensive to make a truly good Christmas movie, and pretty cheap to make these what have become overly syrupy romances.

People will say they are making what will sell. I say they are making these and we are given really no other options for holiday films (on tv) so they are watched. 

In my opinion Hallmark had a good thing going. It was so successful that other networks have followed (Lifetime, and even UP is going romance with holiday movies) on their coat tails. Problem will be that if the movies get any cheesier and poorly acted, people will stop watching at some point. Maybe then we will get some new story lines.

I mean really, how many more "plain Jane falls for a prince", or "aggressive business woman finally finds true love", or "two people enter into a fake it till you make it relationship then fall in love" story lines can they pass off as a 'new' movie? Not a whole lot more to keep me watching.

Honored Contributor

But the problem is they go by ratings and every year they do more of the same thing and the ratings continue to climb, the ad revenue continues to increase.  Candace Cameron Bure movies get top dollar in ad revenue and Danica McKeller is like #2.

They tried 3 new things and they appear to be successful, so now we will get more of that, too.

Pet Rescue - the kitten bowl, puppy bowl, great american rescue show are all hits, so they created a new role for developing this type of programming.

Meet the Peetes - a hit, so we will see more reality shows

Sequels - We are now up to the 3rd movie in a series.  Do I hear 4?

Then there are the "pairings."  Kavan Smith and the one who plays Rosemary are going to be in 100 movies now.  Brennan Elliott and Lacy Chabert are now joined at the hip and will be in the third "Inn" movie as well as a mystery series.

QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

@VaBelle35 wrote:

But the problem is they go by ratings and every year they do more of the same thing and the ratings continue to climb, the ad revenue continues to increase.  Candace Cameron Bure movies get top dollar in ad revenue and Danica McKeller is like #2.

They tried 3 new things and they appear to be successful, so now we will get more of that, too.

Pet Rescue - the kitten bowl, puppy bowl, great american rescue show are all hits, so they created a new role for developing this type of programming.

Meet the Peetes - a hit, so we will see more reality shows

Sequels - We are now up to the 3rd movie in a series.  Do I hear 4?

Then there are the "pairings."  Kavan Smith and the one who plays Rosemary are going to be in 100 movies now.  Brennan Elliott and Lacy Chabert are now joined at the hip and will be in the third "Inn" movie as well as a mystery series.

I agree, it is definitely about ratings. But I hope they don't think those are a given forever, for any half put together re worked and tired story lines.

I will say, there is a huge difference in their movies. If Candace, or Lacey, or Danica are in the movie, they seem to be much better put together. Everything from the sets, to the writing, to the supporting cast is just so much better than many of the others. I feel the same about most of the ones Alicia Witt is in too.

I'm ok with the ones that are good, but every year, more and more of the movies are really lacking in all those areas. Hallmark is going to reach a saturation point with the bad ones, and the infatuation and popularity will decline. Too bad, because they know how to do it well, the are just not doing it when they crank out so many new movies so quickly. 

Honored Contributor

I'm also tired of just romance-based movies.

Why not have a couple already together (as they do for the Lori Laughlin ones) and work together to solve mysteries, or run a corporation, or own a diner, or do something either separately or together?

Why not have full-fledged adults do something useful and fun and set those things against attractive scenery?  (I hope they never skimp on the scenery.)

Perhaps they could take a cue from some of the British or Australian shows like Miss Fisher or Mr. & Mrs. Murder or Death in Paradise.  

There are also plenty of books out there that could be the basis of a series.   They did start with Jan Karon's Father Tim but only one "movie" was made.  There are plenty of cozy mysteries available. They can't all be too expensive to purchase.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Respected Contributor

I only discovered this channel and started watching about two months before Christmas. I hate to admit it, but I am already bored. The same actors, the same plots. It may have to do with the fact that I am not a television person, on the whole, but I don't think so.

For now.....I won't be watching for a while. 

Honored Contributor

The problem is they mess up the book so much that people are too irritated to watch.

QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

@2blonde wrote:

Thanks for the info, but it's snowing here right now in NE Ohio, and the last thing any of us wants is more snow, cold or anything related to it!  We are sooooooo done with this!

@2blonde

Thats what I was wondering.....how the folks still getting LOTS of snow would feel about the Christmas movies and seeing more snow.....  I dont have to worry about that where I live....mid 70's now and moving into 80's.....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”