Trusted Contributor

Re: Hallmark Channel showing Christmas movies Fri,

To me, these movies are like drinking a hot cup of cocoa wrapped in a blanket in front of the Christmas tree.  I don't care if the plots are complex or meaningful.  I like seeing the decorations, the snow, the attractive people, and the stress-free idyllic lives they lead.  There are plenty of other movies, tv shows and books to stimulate my mind.  Hallmark is about escapism for me.

Trusted Contributor

I think a lot of those with complaints about the quality and content of these movies aren't really looking at the big picture.  The bottom line is that you get what you pay for.  

Here's a little perspective.  Take the recent Hollywood movie, "Chappaquiddick."  This movie is about the same length of a Hallmark movie (without commercials), has a relatively small principal cast, and no major special effects.  The budget for this movie was 34 million dollars, and it was filmed in New England over a period of 60 days.  Compare that to Hallmark's, "Journey Back to Christmas" starring Candace Cameron Bure.  The budget for this movie was 2 million dollars, and it was filmed in Winnipeg over a period of 15 days.  In fact, all Hallmark movies have a budget of about 2 million dollars and they have to film in 15 days.  Another example - It costs 4 million dollars to produce one half-hour episode of "Modern Family."  Considering budget and filming restraints, it's amazing that the Hallmark films are as good as they are.  

Respected Contributor

TenderMercies. 

Thanks for that info. I'd say the Hallmark movies are remarkably good for that time & budget crunch. 

I love HM movies for the most part. But it's the small things that get me- like showing a BRIGHT sunny sky during a Christmas movie....while they plaster computer-generated snowflakes across the screen. They do that over & over. 

Another thing that bugs me....who does the hair for the men on these movies? Do they know that having black shoe-polish hair looks ridiculous? 

Of course, I'll continue to watch- I'm a fan of Hallmark movies. But, I'm just sayin'....Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

@spot555 wrote:

TenderMercies. 

Thanks for that info. I'd say the Hallmark movies are remarkably good for that time & budget crunch. 

I love HM movies for the most part. But it's the small things that get me- like showing a BRIGHT sunny sky during a Christmas movie....while they plaster computer-generated snowflakes across the screen. They do that over & over. 

Another thing that bugs me....who does the hair for the men on these movies? Do they know that having black shoe-polish hair looks ridiculous? 

Of course, I'll continue to watch- I'm a fan of Hallmark movies. But, I'm just sayin'....Smiley Happy

@spot555 I never noticed the shoe polish hair, but that’s very funny.  Speaking of the fake snowflakes, I read an article that said you will rarely see a Hallmark Christmas movie where snow or a snow storm is central to the plot.  Apparently snow is very expensive to make and maintain, and since most of the Christmas movies are filmed in the summer, making snow could eat up a lot of the production budget.  The film crew carries around lots of large white drapes that they put on the ground to mimic snow in the background.  

Regular Contributor

Yes the shoe polish hair! I think that's why I liked The Christmas Train so much. Both actors (Williams and Mulroney) looked like real people, not mannequins. 

Honored Contributor

I love Christmas, but this is a bit much to be show Christmas shows in May, spring has barely sprung, lol, so I will wait until November to watch.

Honored Contributor

hallmark.jpg

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein