Respected Contributor

Re: Hallmark Channel - Countdown to Christmas starts October 28, 2016

@Mominohio wrote:

I have complained for the last several years that Hallmark is making the same few movies over and over. 

How many 'working girl becomes princess' movies, how many 'really bad "Christmas Carol" remakes, how many "I wake up being a mommy to a family I don't recognize", how many silly romance movies do we need for the holiday?

Hallmark used to make some really great movies (think Hallmark Hall of Fame type stories) and now it is like a cleaned up version of the Harliquin romance novels my grandma used to read. And while I enjoy some of the actresses like Candice Cameron Bure (sp?) and the various ones she has made because they center around something besides just the romance, some of these actresses are making so many Hallmark movies that they are running together.

I'd like to see Hallmark make more movies that deal with the true meanings of the season (not just boy meets girl, boy looses girl, boy gets girl), like "Silent Night" (the one with Linda Hamilton, and "Christmas in Canaan" with Billy Ray Cyrus, and "A Dog Named Christmas". Things that leave the romance out, and focus on families and struggles during the holidays.

In the past couple of years the acting, writing and directing of some of these films is looking like a high school production of something. The acting is particularly bad, as well as everything from the sets to the editing.

It is like they are trying to crank out anything, regardless if it is any good or not. 

@Mominohio, I give you a standing ovation for your post.  My favorites were Christmas in Canaan, Silent Night and A Dog named Christmas.

The rest of them I can do without and probably won't be watching.  I also wish they wouldn't start them so early and wait until after Thanksgiving.  I usually watch the Hallmark Channel after getting in bed to relax at night and fall asleep to the Golden Girls lol.  I find that with all the Hallmark Christmas movies, they just keep playing them over and over again and I look forward to the New Year.

Trusted Contributor

I love the Hallmark movies, but that incessant music in the background makes me crazy!  I wish they would realize that it isn't necessary.

Super Contributor

@luv-the-Q wrote:

I love the Hallmark movies, but that incessant music in the background makes me crazy!  I wish they would realize that it isn't necessary.

That is the one thing that drives me crazy about the Hallmark channel and it's movies. The background music is too loud to where you can't hear the dialog. My hearing is fine, but when I'm watching with my mother or mother-in-law, I always have to put the CC on. Even with relatively good hearing, it's difficult to understand the conversation. They've had numerous complaints about this, but nothing gets done about it.

Honored Contributor

I have to imagine that the holiday movies are their bread and butter otherwise they wouldn't keep making more and more every year.  19 new movies has to be an all time record for them.

I think just about every star they have is making a holiday movie.  Plus Mariah Carey is making a second movie.  I guess that was popular enough to give her the green light for a second movie.  

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

The scenery, the beautifully decorated homes and generally happy stories all create the type of movie I want to see in the weeks leading up to Christmas.

Esteemed Contributor

I watched one Hallmark Christmas movie a couple of years  ago and thought I was going to go into a sugar coma.  THe movie was so predictable, badly written, even more badly acted.  MY pain threshold for bad movies is not high enough for me to sit through another one.

Respected Contributor

@KathyPet wrote:

I watched one Hallmark Christmas movie a couple of years  ago and thought I was going to go into a sugar coma.  THe movie was so predictable, badly written, even more badly acted.  MY pain threshold for bad movies is not high enough for me to sit through another one.

There are some schmaltzy ones, but for the most part many are sweet and likable...IMO 

Trusted Contributor

I read last year after the Christmas season was over that Hallmark had the second highest cable channel ratings during the months of the holiday season.  That's why they keep making them.  I hope they aren't running 24 hours a day.  Miss Murder She Wrote (I know, I know) and the other shows on during the middle of the night when they run them 24-7 on the Movies and Mysteries Channel.  I could really do without them alltogether.

Respected Contributor

Just like with QVC, not all programming or hosts are going to appeal to everyone.  Not all the Hallmark movies appeal to everyone.

Find the ones you like and watch them.  Ignore the ones your don't!  Why trash them when obviously others have different taste?

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

I like the Hallmark Christmas movies generally. I use them as background noise and occasionally I'll really py attention. I do not think they need to start before November 1st. That is just ridiculous.

I agree with the poster that said it would be nice if they were the quality of the old Hallmark Hall of Fame movies. These really are Mad Libs for movies. Just fill in the blanks on a basic premise and poof! A new movie.