Esteemed Contributor

Re: HOW MANY YEARS CAN I EXPECT LIGHTS ON A TREE TO LAST

@Mominohio wrote:

@Kitty Galore wrote:

Had a bethlehem tree that I loved, very similar to the one thst was the TSV the other day which I purchased.  The reAson why is because it has the glisten mode which I just love the look of.  Now this previous BL tree also had the glisten mode which they called at that time , phasing.  The former tree lasted 10 yrs and then we moved cross country and went to put it up that first christmas and the lights just didn't light,  they tried,  but were very weakly lighted then completely off,  so we had to toss it as much as I loved that tree.  So now I am really hoping this new BL does well and lasts a long time.  Lone other thing it was ,mentioned during the presentation of the TSV that they never did that mode of glistening ,  but they did as I had a BL tree that I purchased from qvc that did indeed!  Strange.

@Kitty Galore

I find that Q is often making claims of 'new' when something isn't. They change one simple feature, or add a color and change the item number and call it new.

In this case, they may well have had that function on an older tree (you know this because you had it!), but it was on an LED tree, or they called that function by another name, or it cycled in a different amount of time etc. So making some minute change, and calling it by a new name allows them to call it 'new'.

It gets tiresome trying to decode what Q is saying (and what they are not saying) in their presentations these days. The vendors and hosts have become master manipulators of the English language!

Mominohio you are so right I have seen this before on other items and alwYs wondered how they could do that.  Changing even the smallest thing I guess gives them the rights to do so.  I guess my other tree had to have been led now that I think about it as I don't feel they brought condesent light to qvc at that time.  I do hope this new tree is as beAutiful as the old one.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

It depends.  I bought a pre-lit tree 2 years ago. This x-mas would be my third year with it. The lights worked last year.

However, I know a number of people that bought trees and the lights lasted 1 year. They either totally went out after the first year of use or a big section of them went out.  And these were people who bought expensive trees.

Then there is my SIL who bought her pre-lit trees from K-Mart.  She's had them for at least 5 years, maybe closer to 10, and they are just fine.    

Personally, I'm not a pre-lit fan because they never have enough lights on them for me.  Even the TSV tree Saturday had bare spots that looked like there were no lights in it.  I'm going back to my old fashioned tree this year and stringing the lights on it myself.

Respected Contributor

I bought a very pricey artificial tree in my local area that was loaded with lights. I have my trees lit several hours daily, for about 2 months. The lights lasted 2 years.

If I ever buy another artificial tree, I don't want it to come with lights (they do sell them minus lights).

Esteemed Contributor

Our previous tree lasted 8 or more years. This will be the third year for our new tree.

Respected Contributor

I would get upset if my lights only lasted a few years on a fake tree. We only do a fresh tree from the tree farm every year. Until we  can't do it ourselves we will only then buy a fake lighted tree. 

Frequent Contributor

Thank you for all your help.  I am tired of stringing lights on real trees and thought this may be the year for an artificial tree with pre stung lights.  They are soooo expensive.  I had a catalog and the price for the 8 ft tree was over 1000.00!  Just nuts.  Last night LR was selling a tree with a new type of light with 10,000 lights on the 9 ft tree and less on the 7 ft.  But she said it was very new lights that you can only get at real specialty stores.  I thought her price was soooo high.    If I ever bought a tree that high, the lights better last years and years.  I do not have confidence the lights would last.   It appears to be the luck of the draw with the longevity of the lights.   If I go artificial, a more realistic priced tree such as those at Home Depot or other places would probably be the answer.  Better yet, stick with a real tree and string the old lights I have.  Believe it or not, my lights purchased at Hicks Nursey in westbury, Long Island still work after 25 years!.  I bet new lights do not last that long anymore.

Frequent Contributor

A sections of our lights went out after one year.. We put the tree up the day after Thanksgiving and take it down the day after Christmas. Only have it lit about 6 hrs. a night. DH had to add a strand since it was in the front of the tree.

Respected Contributor

@BLB wrote:

Thank you for all your help.  I am tired of stringing lights on real trees and thought this may be the year for an artificial tree with pre stung lights.  They are soooo expensive.  I had a catalog and the price for the 8 ft tree was over 1000.00!  Just nuts.  Last night LR was selling a tree with a new type of light with 10,000 lights on the 9 ft tree and less on the 7 ft.  But she said it was very new lights that you can only get at real specialty stores.  I thought her price was soooo high.    If I ever bought a tree that high, the lights better last years and years.  I do not have confidence the lights would last.   It appears to be the luck of the draw with the longevity of the lights.   If I go artificial, a more realistic priced tree such as those at Home Depot or other places would probably be the answer.  Better yet, stick with a real tree and string the old lights I have.  Believe it or not, my lights purchased at Hicks Nursey in westbury, Long Island still work after 25 years!.  I bet new lights do not last that long anymore.

@BLB That's why a real tree is the way to go. I love the smell and look of a real tree. I help DH string the lights. Yes it takes extra effort but it's worth it. We put many strands of lights and the final effect is stunning. My mom went through 5 artificial lighted trees in 15 years and we finally found one for her without lights and now she puts the lights on herself. Her tree is about 6'

Honored Contributor

@BLB wrote:

As I understand it, the warranty on LR's $1100 tree is only 2 years. That sounds to me like they don't expect it to last longer than that. Goodness!

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Frequent Contributor

Moonchilde

A 2 year warranty on a tree that expensive is a no go.  The price of the tree alone is excessive to me.   I have been buying glorious real  8 or 9 foot Fraser furs forever.  This discussion made me realize, that is the best thing to stick with at this time and just string the lights myself.  The best part is the scent of the tree.