Honored Contributor

I'm sure there are other owl fanciers here.  I've always found them irresistable.  As a kid, my parents gave me white alabaster owl bookends-- they had inscrutable yellow eyes.  Long gone, but one anniversary hubby gave me new Italian alabaster owls-- they're adorable, green and gold-- and I use them as bookends too.

Look at this Mackenzie-Childs "courtly check" owl, how cute!

35518-001_w.jpg

35518-001_1.jpg

He's way, way too pricey though.  I'm going to get a ceramic owl vase to replace my blue pottery owl that broke.  Have a few possibilities in mind.

Love owl vases in the fall, but all year round too.  Who (who-who-who-whoooo) here collects owls?

Honored Contributor

@Oznell - Your bookend owls sound beautiful! And I really like the checked one too! We have a small collection. We have owls in our backyard near the woods that we can hear at night, and our one kitty LOOKS like an owl. She is tortoise with yellow eyes. She sits a certain way and stares at you with those big eyes. She is the diva of our family and lets the others know she's in charge. DH swears she is "half owl." LOL! He and I were walking through a garden center and saw an owl with yellow eyes that reminded us of her. We got it and put it in one of our indoor potted trees in the sunroom. Then a friend gave me a little one. We also got a stained glass one here at QVC. I would say we have 5 or 6 now. The original plan was to put them away after fall, but somehow they are all still out there! Smiley Wink

Trusted Contributor

@Oznell That Mackenzie Childs owl is really nice.  I just ordered one for the 13 yr old neighbor for Christmas.  She was looking through one of my catalogs and said it could be a present for Christmas and two of her birthdays...lol...she’s hard to buy for and it’s easy for me to have her tell me what she would like...of course she doesn’t know I ordered it and won’t know till Christmas Eve when she opens it..also did you see the owl salt and peppers on the site?  They are really cute...

BTW the vase in the picture you posted is named “Great Vase”.  DH just gave it to me for a present...it’s REALLY nice...DW

Trusted Contributor

@Oznell  Here’s the salt and peppers...

721064CB-C0E7-4F94-98FF-51DC03F64673.jpeg

Honored Contributor

I love this checkered owl and the salt and pepper owls also!  They are so pretty and unique.  I have a few owl collectibles and if I were an avid collector, I would add these checkered owls to a collection.  

Thanks, Oznell, for showing us these lovely owls.

Honored Contributor

@beach-mom-- that's why I call them irresistable-- they seem to multiply without your even knowing it, ha.  You're so right, some kitties do have an owl-like aspect, especially in their enigmatic gaze, as you point out.  It helps if they have tufted ears too.  Your idea of putting your owl in a potted tree is so clever!  I'd like to copy-- as soon as I get a potted tree (that's on my list too.)

@dancingwoman,  what a very nice neighbor you are to your 13 year old friend!  She will be beyond thrilled!  Those salt and peppers are so darling-- they would make me smile every day.  Thank you so much for posting!  I so agree about that vase-- there's something so sophisticated about that color combo and everything about it.

So would I, @spiderw.  You and I have a strong pull toward beautiful objects.  I have firmly decided to stick to just replacing my broken owl vase (I specifically want/need a vase, not a figurine this time) and I'm going to stick to that--  but my head got so turned by these cuties!  Keeping my collecting instincts under control takes such effort, sigh.  

Esteemed Contributor

M-C items: cute, but way too rich for my blood.

Fall seems to be the time of year to shop for owls as there is always the greatest variety available. 

Happy owl shopping @Oznell !

Honored Contributor

I relate to and agree with your comments. The other day my friends and I went to the shore for lunch.  After lunch we walked through the town and went through an antique store with many stalls and hundreds of items.  I had to hold back a few times and remind myself of what I already have!!!!  

I hope you find a replacement for your owl vase and enjoy your quest to find one.  While we may not  buy as we used to, it is still enjoyable to browse and admire.  

Esteemed Contributor

Yes, so cute. I own some of the Mackenzie-Childs canister  pieces in the gren floral, but oh my are they  dear in price.  I would have bought more on ShopHq  since they had 5-6 easy pay , but I couldn't get past some of the prices on each piece .

Honored Contributor

@Oznell 

So cute...thanks for sharing....I have a couple owls...one I put in the center of an autumn wreath...

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”