Honored Contributor

Re: HAVE YOU PRESERVED A GINGERBREAD HOUSE?

I like the idea of freezing the house as food sends out signals to every bug within traveling distance.  I have good luck with getting air out and freezing a lot of things, but haven't tried the Gingerbread house.  Hope you can find a satisfactory way of preserving your house.

Honored Contributor

We used to make woven bread baskets out of salt dough in my Interior Design classes and used sealer on them.  They lasted a long time!

Respected Contributor

@Carolm wrote:

My granddaughter put together a beautiful gingerbread house this past holiday, and I've been thinking of attempting to preserve it so it can be displayed for a few more Christmases.  Has anyone tried with success?

I have like six of them from The Gingerbread Construction Company. I just left them alone and they petrify.  I've had a few of them for 15 or more years. They look perfect. 

( \_/ )
(='x'=)
( " )_( " )
Honored Contributor

My son was given one when he was a tyke.   For 3 or 4 years we'd take it from the freezer,  display it then return to the freezer for the next year.   When he didn't seem interested in it,  we pitched it out. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor