Contributor

HARRY LONDON RUINED THEIR TSV TINS

I purchased the Village tins in 2013 and gave them a 5 star review for the quality and ability to reuse the DECORATIVE tins.  I LOVED the tins.  I don't care for their chocolates.

This year the tins have 'Harry London Gourmet Chocolates Est 1922' and the company logo in two places on each tin.  It is predominantlydisplayed on the roof in two places or in two places on the side at the top on the others.  I want these as decorative tins the way they were in 2013. 

The move to add Harry London advertising to the tins was a purely self-serving move by the company.  After the unfortunate fire last year customers probably made candy purchases elsewhere and HL needed to regain customer share in 2015.  I think doing something which benefits the company, but in no way helps the consumer was a poor move.

Honored Contributor

Re: HARRY LONDON RUINED THEIR TSV TINS

I did not order the TSV, but I have in the past and the chocolate was ok in my opinion. 

I would have been unhappy if I had ordered and discovered their name on the tins...I find that tacky, I never purchase anything with the company name boldly displayed.

Honored Contributor

For some buyers, the company name ruins the tins, but there could also be collectors who are perfectly happy to have tins with the company names on them.   Almost all the tins sold in antique shops are those with company names.

QVC sells to millions of buyers every week -  some of them will buy those new tins.  And this discussion made me think about a tin of chcolates I bought years ago on a European river cruise - I bought it because I liked the tin, but for the life of me I have no idea whether the company name is on the tin.  I will look though!

Honored Contributor

I'm guessing a lot of people ordered these, without knowing this, and will be disappointed with this change.

I do agree, some will consider it good, others not, but you think they'd just put their name on the bottom to denote it is one of their products, since they started out without putting their name on the past products.

I was looking at the previous year's tins on ebay, and oh my, they are selling rather high, some, higher than they cost with the chocolate in them when new. So you might be able to recoup or make money on them by selling on ebay in a year or two.

Respected Contributor

@April-Rose wrote:

I purchased the Village tins in 2013 and gave them a 5 star review for the quality and ability to reuse the DECORATIVE tins.  I LOVED the tins.  I don't care for their chocolates.

This year the tins have 'Harry London Gourmet Chocolates Est 1922' and the company logo in two places on each tin.  It is predominantlydisplayed on the roof in two places or in two places on the side at the top on the others.  I want these as decorative tins the way they were in 2013. 

The move to add Harry London advertising to the tins was a purely self-serving move by the company.  After the unfortunate fire last year customers probably made candy purchases elsewhere and HL needed to regain customer share in 2015.  I think doing something which benefits the company, but in no way helps the consumer was a poor move.

Of course having their logo on the tin is self-serving.   As it shoud be.  I think that everything I have ever purchased has had the name of the company on the product. I don't remember buying anything that did not have the company name on it...

ir name on it....  

Honored Contributor

I have some old tins from the Turn of the Century, one in particular Jacob & Co. Biscuits is marked clearly on it and worth roughly $200.  That's my prize, along with an actual sign from the shop (roughly 4 ft long and 1 ft high) that's close to 1k in value now.  I have other tins, based on color, age and name and most from England.  Companies have been "self-serving" like for as long as I remember and it's actually RARE to find tins that DO NOT have the company's name on them.  BTW.... KEEP the ones without the names imprinted on them.  I can almost guarantee they will be even more valuable one day....  Woman LOL 

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

Some people live to find something about which to complain.  Pure silliness.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Valued Contributor

I simply can not imagine that anyone I would gift these to would ever complain about the company's name on the tins.  

This is such a silly complaint.  The tins are reusable regardless of what name is on them.

Trusted Contributor

I'm a little confused.  They are Harry London Chocolates, so why wouldn't they say the company's name on the container?  I buy Godiva chocolates, and the box says Godiva on it.  I guess I could understand if you don't want to announce that you're buying cheap chocolates, but as far as resale value on these as collectors items, it wouldn't hurt the value of the tins.  If people want to go on an auction site and spend lots of money on a set of the 2015 Harry London tins, every single one of them is going to have that name on them.  It's also an attractive logo and not as conspicuous as the OP suggests.    

Super Contributor

I agree with the poster who suggested the company name on the tin adds to its value as it becomes more of a collector's tin.

I ordered the tins (and I like Harry London chocolates) and I am thinking of adding some embellishments to mine like artifical snow or maybe some glitter.  If I decide to display I will add appropriate figures to the scenes. 

I collect old tins....but I am not buying these because they will be more valuable in 50 years, I am buyin g them to enjoy now.  Fifty years from now, I will be long goneSmiley Happy