Honored Contributor

Re: H229831 Set of two Flameless Candles…

[ Edited ]

@amyb wrote:

@Foxxee wrote:

They are surprisingly small, but I think the price is probably high because of this shape and brand, Luminara.

Well...not long ago I got a whole wooden lantern with a candle by Luminara...for 1/3 of that. It lasted less than a year. Called them, they basically did nothing. Sent me another type battery pack to use in it that didn't fit.

On the other hand I had a Bethlehem Lights outdoor lantern that lasted 10 years, year after year, through Northeast winters.

Yea, imo, these are not worth close to that. 

Something is up because everything is UP...so maybe it's "supply, deliveries, cost, importing" all costing more. Me...I'm saving money for things of value these days.

@amyb 

Luminara has always been pricey and what irritates me is when they include remotes which add to the cost of the item and I must have 15 of the new remotes that I got with other Luminaras I have ordered!!!! I would have appreciated an option for a lower cost for just the candle without the remote.....

As far as Bethelehem Lights, their older products were top knotch quality and I have garlands and wreaths that are still going strong afer 8 years, but not so with their newer items..... I ordered a BL garland and that fizzled out in the middle of its second year! 

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Respected Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@amyb wrote:

@Foxxee wrote:

They are surprisingly small, but I think the price is probably high because of this shape and brand, Luminara.

Well...not long ago I got a whole wooden lantern with a candle by Luminara...for 1/3 of that. It lasted less than a year. Called them, they basically did nothing. Sent me another type battery pack to use in it that didn't fit.

On the other hand I had a Bethlehem Lights outdoor lantern that lasted 10 years, year after year, through Northeast winters.

Yea, imo, these are not worth close to that. 

Something is up because everything is UP...so maybe it's "supply, deliveries, cost, importing" all costing more. Me...I'm saving money for things of value these days.

@amyb 

Luminara has always been pricey and what irritates me is when they include remotes which add to the cost of the item and I must 15 of the new remotes that I got with other Luminaras I have ordered!!!! I would have appreciated an option for a lower cost for just the candle without the remote.....

As far as Bethelehem Lights, their older products were top knotch quality and I have garlands and wreaths that are still going strong afer 8 years, but not so with their newer items..... I ordered a BL garland and that fizzled out in the middle of its second year! 

@Spurt Agree with you on both counts. I never even use those remotes. Just set it on timer, done. And BL...totally agreed. As my old things die out I'm not investing in any new BL...all the reviews have been bad. Sadly. They used to be great. And I had several outdoor Christmas battery operated things that lasted and lasted through Northeast winters just fine. I don't believe the new ones would, so I'm reverting back to less is more with all my decor anyway...and much less of all the battery things. Have more than I need anyway.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@amyb wrote:

@Foxxee wrote:

@amyb wrote:

@Foxxee wrote:

@amyb 

Sorry to hear that about your lantern and experience with Luminara's battery compartment not fitting.  There's always a chance of getting something that's defective, but I would have contacted Luminara again about sending the wrong part.  

I have had the opposite experience with my six year old 4 Luminara lanterns and 12 candles that are over 7 years old.  

One candle I had on 24 hours a day for close to 5 years when the light began to dim.  It was still flickering, though.  Another candle on my desk about 12 hours daily for over 2 years.  The other candles are used at Christmas.  Lanterns on holidays.  Never had a bad candle.  

I don't trust lanterns with candles outside will last long, but Bethlehem lights has been making outdoor products for years and might be better at it.  

Oh I get all that. Still surprised at the price of this particular item. Just not what I would spend for it~but, as I always say~those who do, enjoy! ps. They are pretty. Not $80-90 worth of pretty, imo, but pretty.

Ps. I bought an entirely different brand I happened to see from HSN last year, beautiful flickering wick, S/3 blue summer motif, 3 different embossed designs, starfish, coral and seahorse...so pretty, so realistic, batteries last long...set of 3 was about $54, for 7" pillars with remote. Never saw this brand again there, too bad~ was looking for plain ones for the rest of the year. 

@amyb @Foxxee 

I wonder if that HSN brand was Liown.....Luminara and Liown went to court accusing each other of violating and infringing on each company's patents.....Also in 2020 Sterno Home filed a complaint and started an investigation against Luminara too regarding patent violations....and Sterno Home sells candles under the names of Mirage and Candle Impressions---brands QVC customers are familiar with....hmmmmmmmmmmm I wonder if these court cases have caused Luminara to make changes in manufacturing which could have impacted quality.....  I will say CANDLE IMPRESSIONS does have good quality candles just not as realistic a flame....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Respected Contributor

@Spurt No, I looked up in my account today...I think it was "Matchless Queen" or something like that. Never saw them before or after. But...if you like the sound of what I described they still have them in ivory, on clearance now!

Honored Contributor

@amyb wrote:

@Spurt No, I looked up in my account today...I think it was "Matchless Queen" or something like that. Never saw them before or after. But...if you like the sound of what I described they still have them in ivory, on clearance now!

@amyb 

Thanks for the info....

Valued Contributor

I have mostly luminara candles through out the house.  I wanted the look to give as gifts so took a chance on similar candles offered at Walmart.  They are really nice, use 2 AA batteries and are 9 and 13$.  Still on my first of batteries and had them at least 3 mo.  I am pleased to have them for gifts.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Spurt wrote:

@amyb wrote:

@Foxxee wrote:

@amyb wrote:

@Foxxee wrote:

@amyb 

Sorry to hear that about your lantern and experience with Luminara's battery compartment not fitting.  There's always a chance of getting something that's defective, but I would have contacted Luminara again about sending the wrong part.  

I have had the opposite experience with my six year old 4 Luminara lanterns and 12 candles that are over 7 years old.  

One candle I had on 24 hours a day for close to 5 years when the light began to dim.  It was still flickering, though.  Another candle on my desk about 12 hours daily for over 2 years.  The other candles are used at Christmas.  Lanterns on holidays.  Never had a bad candle.  

I don't trust lanterns with candles outside will last long, but Bethlehem lights has been making outdoor products for years and might be better at it.  

Oh I get all that. Still surprised at the price of this particular item. Just not what I would spend for it~but, as I always say~those who do, enjoy! ps. They are pretty. Not $80-90 worth of pretty, imo, but pretty.

Ps. I bought an entirely different brand I happened to see from HSN last year, beautiful flickering wick, S/3 blue summer motif, 3 different embossed designs, starfish, coral and seahorse...so pretty, so realistic, batteries last long...set of 3 was about $54, for 7" pillars with remote. Never saw this brand again there, too bad~ was looking for plain ones for the rest of the year. 

@amyb @Foxxee 

I wonder if that HSN brand was Liown.....Luminara and Liown went to court accusing each other of violating and infringing on each company's patents.....Also in 2020 Sterno Home filed a complaint and started an investigation against Luminara too regarding patent violations....and Sterno Home sells candles under the names of Mirage and Candle Impressions---brands QVC customers are familiar with....hmmmmmmmmmmm I wonder if these court cases have caused Luminara to make changes in manufacturing which could have impacted quality.....  I will say CANDLE IMPRESSIONS does have good quality candles just not as realistic a flame....

--------------------

Most of the flameless candles around my house are Candle Impressions.  And most bought many years ago. Good battery life; love them! 

Do have some Luminara. but what I like about CI is that the whole candle lights up!  Have to say though that many of the newer CI figural candles, do not light all the way thru the item.  Will not buy any candle that does light all the way through - some of Valerie's don't either.

For me, a candle fully lit up is a much better look,

instead of a little candle flame flickering on top!

Esteemed Contributor

@amyb, these may not be exactly what you were looking for, but I thought that I would mention them anyway. 

H216616 Martha Stewart Set of (2) 4" Flameless Candle Set $22.33/ $5.50 S&H

Respected Contributor

@LIG1 Thanks for the heads-up, these would have worked, but unfortunetly all that is left is "artichoke" olive green...not for me. Looking for ivory, flickering types. I may look at Walmart, now that someone here had good luck and fair price there.