Respected Contributor

H229831 Set of two Flameless Candles…

$76 and change, plus another 5.50 to ship, plus tax, over $80?! For two, small flameless candles. Oh, ps and btw...this is the "CIJ "SPECIAL" price...down from $88.00 plus S&H. Insane.

I'm not watching, just happened to click on watch live to see what was on and that was. Cannot believe pricing lately. Glad I need and want nothing. Wowza.

Respected Contributor

Re: H229831 Set of two Flameless Candles…

Don't forget the cost of batteries, lol!  I did a close-up of those candles and the glitter job was horrible.  I just don't get it......

Honored Contributor

They are surprisingly small, but I think the price is probably high because of this shape and brand, Luminara.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Foxxee wrote:

They are surprisingly small, but I think the price is probably high because of this shape and brand, Luminara.

Well...not long ago I got a whole wooden lantern with a candle by Luminara...for 1/3 of that. It lasted less than a year. Called them, they basically did nothing. Sent me another type battery pack to use in it that didn't fit.

On the other hand I had a Bethlehem Lights outdoor lantern that lasted 10 years, year after year, through Northeast winters.

Yea, imo, these are not worth close to that. 

Something is up because everything is UP...so maybe it's "supply, deliveries, cost, importing" all costing more. Me...I'm saving money for things of value these days.

Honored Contributor

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@amyb wrote:

@Foxxee wrote:

Well...not long ago I got a whole wooden lantern with a candle by Luminara...for 1/3 of that. It lasted less than a year. Called them, they basically did nothing. Sent me another type battery pack to use in it that didn't fit.

On the other hand I had a Bethlehem Lights outdoor lantern that lasted 10 years, year after year, through Northeast winters.

@amyb 

Sorry to hear that about your lantern and experience with Luminara's battery compartment not fitting.  There's always a chance of getting something that's defective, but I would have contacted Luminara again about sending the wrong part.  

I have had the opposite experience with my six year old 4 Luminara lanterns and 12 candles that are over 7 years old.  

One candle I had on 24 hours a day for close to 5 years when the light began to dim.  It was still flickering, though.  Another candle on my desk about 12 hours daily for over 2 years.  The other candles are used at Christmas.  Lanterns on holidays.  Never had a bad candle.  

I don't trust lanterns with candles outside will last long, but Bethlehem lights has been making outdoor products for years and might be better at it.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Foxxee wrote:

@amyb wrote:

@Foxxee wrote:

@amyb 

Sorry to hear that about your lantern and experience with Luminara's battery compartment not fitting.  There's always a chance of getting something that's defective, but I would have contacted Luminara again about sending the wrong part.  

I have had the opposite experience with my six year old 4 Luminara lanterns and 12 candles that are over 7 years old.  

One candle I had on 24 hours a day for close to 5 years when the light began to dim.  It was still flickering, though.  Another candle on my desk about 12 hours daily for over 2 years.  The other candles are used at Christmas.  Lanterns on holidays.  Never had a bad candle.  

I don't trust lanterns with candles outside will last long, but Bethlehem lights has been making outdoor products for years and might be better at it.  

Oh I get all that. Still surprised at the price of this particular item. Just not what I would spend for it~but, as I always say~those who do, enjoy! ps. They are pretty. Not $80-90 worth of pretty, imo, but pretty.

Ps. I bought an entirely different brand I happened to see from HSN last year, beautiful flickering wick, S/3 blue summer motif, 3 different embossed designs, starfish, coral and seahorse...so pretty, so realistic, batteries last long...set of 3 was about $54, for 7" pillars with remote. Never saw this brand again there, too bad~ was looking for plain ones for the rest of the year. 

Esteemed Contributor

They are pretty, but for that price, I 'll pass.....

Respected Contributor

While Googling to find more of that type I bought last year...just saw a set of 4, varying sizes on Pottery Barn for $250.00! So there's that...😳

PB is always high, I know. 

Honored Contributor

I was equally appalled at the price of one of Martha Stewart's candles yesterday.  A Christmas tree - 8.5 inches tall.  $70 plus $5.50 shipping!  I was sure it was a misprint.  However, that seems to be the price.....and it's showing as a "sale" price at that!  For one candle!!!!!!