Honored Contributor

H211470 8" vintage illuminated mercury glass hurricane with floral ring is finally on sale...

Today it's reduced to a more reasonable price of around $16 or $17 dollars. A few days ago I got it "as is" at a similar price, "needing" it for a very specific reason.

My decor purchases have been rare lately, but I wanted a mercury glass hurricane that would blend with my "silvery" accessories, like the Homeworx silvered bamboo candle holders and my bits of pewter, etc.

A very helpful customer reviewer named "Sunny", in the "Questions" section on the product, told how to remove the floral ring with minimal damage (by making tiny notches on the inside of the ring) so that it could be reused whenever wanted.  I didn't really need a glittery little wreath for my purposes, so tried her method, and it worked!  Might slip it back on for Christmas.

The hurricane itself has an unfussy classical glass beaker shape, not too curvy, so it can go modern or traditional. The candle, while plastic, sits well down in the hurricane.  If it's on a shelf or high enough on a mantel or something, you wouldn't see the candle. The one good thing about it is that it emits a warm glow throughout the candle, easily seen through the silver hurricane.

Now that it's reduced, I think it's a pretty decent buy.

Respected Contributor

Re: H211470 8" vintage illuminated mercury glass hurricane with floral ring is finally on sale.

Agreed @Oznell  I saw these "as is" for $14.25 but decided to purchase on sale for $2 more..I have been watching and waiting for these hurricanes to go on sale...Thanks for sharing and the tip about the ring!!!

Honored Contributor

Re: H211470 8" vintage illuminated mercury glass hurricane with floral ring is finally on sale.

You're welcome, @GAQShopr53!  It is fun to pick up something you wanted for a long time, "for less"!

Esteemed Contributor

ITA agree with you @Oznell.  Purchase an "LT mercury glass item last year from Valerie because it contained micro lights.  That being said the mercury glass was very tin like and looked liked speckled paint.  Since it is on a high shelf you cannot tell but the quality was really lacking.

Honored Contributor

That is a good price.  Free shipping would have sealed the deal.

Respected Contributor

@GCR18 Yesssss...just with the shipping total plus a few more dollars I could have  purchased another hurricane!Smiley LOL

Esteemed Contributor

I bought two of these, in red, last year and sent them back.  They are pretty, but you can hardly see the candle glow, even in the dark.  Maybe because they were red, but when there is a candle involved, I want to see it.

Honored Contributor

Oh, that's too bad, @Patriot3-- such a bummer to have to send back.  I totally agree-- you must be able to clearly see the glow.  I think other purchasers of the red mentioned the same problem.

The silver (and maybe gold?) seem to be light enough in color for the light to come through, at least to my satisfaction...