Respected Contributor

Grumble Grumble I Guess I am a Grinch Today

Warning this a vent and is going to be long.

I used to love and enjoy the holiday season, but now it makes me weary.  Or should I say my husband can make the holiday season weary.  

Today he is addressing the cards.  He does his family and I do mine. I had already purchased the cards and holiday stamps and placed them on the kitchen table.  So out of the blue he asks me if we have pens with red ink.  So I find three and make sure they write.  Then he starts complaining about the cards I purchased.  He doesn't like them and because of their texture the red pens aren't working well.  So I trudge back downstairs to where I store the holiday stuff and move two storage bins to get to excess cards from years past. Note to self: Next year....remind husband to purchase cards and stamps.

He also has been pushing to have the tree up and tells me today is the day. He knows I usually don't decorate the tree until the second week of December.  But I figure why fuss.  We can set the tree up and I can decorate later.  So while he addresses the cards, I start carrying this new tree up.  It is so much heavier then our old one.  When we purchased it earlier this year I wanted to downsize to a smaller tree.  Like a five foot placed on a pedestal.  Nope, he wanted a tall tree.  He fails to take into account his knees make it a struggle to get up the steps and that I have fibromyalgia.   So you may say....Why don't you wait for him to help?  Trust me, we'd be bickering before we get to the first step.  I keep telling him we need to considering installing a lift in the basement to the first floor if we want to continue living here.

So he hasn't mentioned it yet, but guess what's coming next.... well baking of course.   Nut rolls, which he likes to give to his four siblings, and other treats.  Granted he does grind the nuts for me and fry the cheregi.

So that is my annual Christmas vent.  I keep whispering to myself don't fight it, its easier if you just accept it.  By the way, I do love my husband, he certainly keeps my blood flowing.

Respected Contributor

Re: Grumble Grumble I Guess I am a Grinch Today

@Allegheny  Well, that certainly takes the zing out of any holly jolly feelings!  I know if I were in your place I'd go for a nice walk, bring a good book or magazine, and find a neighborhood cafe, breathe deeply, and order a nice pot of lavendar Earl Grey and some scones.

Then, after a leisurely hour and a half, or two, I would wend my way home to start putting up the tree.

Maybe he'll be in a better mood--absence for a little while might make him take a step back for perspective so that he can see how he acted was not respectful.  And, I'm certain he probably does love you, and you love him.  But . . . glad you were able to vent.  Hope the rest of your weekend gets on a better path.  This time of year is stressful enough.  

Honored Contributor

Time to make some new adjustments, trade-offs,  down-sizing, that sort of thing.

It's AGE, body aging too.  New chapters to be written.  Nothing is written in stone, you two merely need to make some new adjustments and plans.  It just is. it just happens.

Esteemed Contributor

@Allegheny, get some Christmas music on, go about the decorating and turn on the ignore button😊.  Do as much as you feel like today and worry about the rest tomorrow.

I made a fruitcake this year because my housekeeper (she hasn’t been for 20 years) is turning 90.  She loves my fruitcake.  I stopped making it a few years ago because DH is the only one who eats it and my mother’s recipe is BIG.  Anyway, she will enjoy it.

Every year I do a little less.  I will enjoy the decorations until Boxing Day and down they come.  

I hope you have a lovely Christmas.  Quiet is good these days.  LM

Esteemed Contributor

@Allegheny, what a day you have had!  No wonder you are grumbling!  If my DH started with any one of those things, I would be sitting back, feet up, some type of drink and a good book in my hand, and let him do all of the work.  I hope tomorrow is a better day for you.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

@Allegheny  You need to speak up and stop running around and pleasing him.  Tell him to put up the tree and decorate it.  If he doesn't like the cards go out and buy some.  You are way to nice and pleasing.  You are a human being and can only do so much if you have ailments. In the meantiime, happy holidays.

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

Thanks all.  I am just grumbling and needed an ear.  

I went and took a nice long and hot shower.  I'm going to address my cards later today....after he makes me dinner!

But I will tell you, I no sooner came back in the living room and sat down (after my shower); he says to me  "When are we baking?"  I bust out laughing.  

Honored Contributor

I love and enjoy Christmas, but no longer let it make me weary.   

The weariness disappeared when I realized it’s not up to me to put the magic into Christmas for my family, and when my daughters finally found special people to share their holidays with.   

Christmas cards are a major part of my holiday; I put more time into writing each card and note than I put into our holiday meal.  My family and friends look forward to my cheerful cards with their holiday stickers, and handwritten notes.   90% of them do not have computers or cell phones, and my cards are viewed as a short visit with me.   They know me well enough to hear my voice as they read my words, see the twinkle in my eyes, hear my laughter and catch my sarcasm!   

My house now reflects the most simple reminders of the season, there is no need to shop, no need to bake, and a very simple meal is enough.   

I truly appreciate the change in our holiday celebrations, and am happy with where we are right now.    

Honored Contributor

@Allegheny wrote:

Warning this a vent and is going to be long.

I used to love and enjoy the holiday season, but now it makes me weary.  Or should I say my husband can make the holiday season weary.  

Today he is addressing the cards.  He does his family and I do mine. I had already purchased the cards and holiday stamps and placed them on the kitchen table.  So out of the blue he asks me if we have pens with red ink.  So I find three and make sure they write.  Then he starts complaining about the cards I purchased.  He doesn't like them and because of their texture the red pens aren't working well.  So I trudge back downstairs to where I store the holiday stuff and move two storage bins to get to excess cards from years past. Note to self: Next year....remind husband to purchase cards and stamps.

He also has been pushing to have the tree up and tells me today is the day. He knows I usually don't decorate the tree until the second week of December.  But I figure why fuss.  We can set the tree up and I can decorate later.  So while he addresses the cards, I start carrying this new tree up.  It is so much heavier then our old one.  When we purchased it earlier this year I wanted to downsize to a smaller tree.  Like a five foot placed on a pedestal.  Nope, he wanted a tall tree.  He fails to take into account his knees make it a struggle to get up the steps and that I have fibromyalgia.   So you may say....Why don't you wait for him to help?  Trust me, we'd be bickering before we get to the first step.  I keep telling him we need to considering installing a lift in the basement to the first floor if we want to continue living here.

So he hasn't mentioned it yet, but guess what's coming next.... well baking of course.   Nut rolls, which he likes to give to his four siblings, and other treats.  Granted he does grind the nuts for me and fry the cheregi.

So that is my annual Christmas vent.  I keep whispering to myself don't fight it, its easier if you just accept it.  By the way, I do love my husband, he certainly keeps my blood flowing.

@Allegheny  Just say "no."  Really!

Trusted Contributor

My bet is he takes you for granted, but I also bet he loves you from the bottom of his heart for all you do.  You've been so good to him all the years you've been together, you spoiled him.  Try to find it in your heart that you are still together this Christmas.  Happy Joyous Holidays to you both.