Trusted Contributor

Gnomes, Farmhouse/Trucks, Retro Xmas Trees

Everywhere I look (on-line, catalogs, stores, etc.) all I see are gnomes, farmhouse/truck and retro Xmas tree decor.  Lucky for me, as I definitely do not need anymore Christmas decor, I'm not really fond of any of these.

Are you noticing the same thing.....they're everywhere?

Respected Contributor

Re: Gnomes, Farmhouse/Trucks, Retro Xmas Trees

[ Edited ]

I think it's to appeal to the OLDER shoppers who think back fondly on those times...

After all....1950's trucks.....30-40 year olds were born in 1981 or 1991 and NEVER were exposed to those style trucks....or the retro Christmas trees or the other "old" stuff they are selling...

And, today's young people don't WANT to collect all that junk ( er, stuff) any longer.

I actually wonder WHO is buying those Snoopy throws...after all, the heyday was in the 60's and 70's for Snoopy wasn't it?

It'd be like selling records of the Partridge family....yeah it's old timey and corny but who wants it if they're 20-40's?

OLD PEOPLE buy this stuff. I see LOTS of comments on these boards that people with teens and young adults say thier kids wouldn't be caught dead with QVC offerings...

And....the OLD people have the money to spend, and many "want" to go back when things were simpler, from phones, to cars, to appliances, to teevee channel selection....ALL the modern things today.

1950s red trucks? Not unless you're 50 or older!!!!

And gnomes?!??!?!

On the other hand, older people is where the disposable dollars are!!!!

Look at today's all day food show. Ridiculously expensive prepared glop at crazy prices for what you get, geared to those who no longer cook.

Don't worry....next week it'll be back to appliances and blenders and mixers that can make 4000 cookies at a pop, for all the single old empty nesters who eat out of one bowl each night in front of the teevee!!!

Cynical I know....but nostalgia for previous times sells.

If YOU like to cook ....you know what I mean....there are very few things they are hawking today that you couldn't make better and cheaper yourself...but you have no time, because Facebook, You Tube and Instagram take up hours of the day....so just eat glop.

Respected Contributor

I really don't understand the gnome craze.  You are right, @BunSnoop, I see gnomes from every major housewares retailer. 

Esteemed Contributor

I think Gnomes are kind of creepy.  But I think I do have a few small Gnome Santa ornaments.  The red pick up truck craze started a few years back.  Every year I would see more and more and more things with red pickup trucks on it.   I kind of like it.  But enough is enough. I wonder what the next big thing will be.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

What are "retro" Christmas trees?

It's taken me awhile but I've warmed up to the vintage red trucks - at least in a photo shoot.

Not crazy about gnomes.

Respected Contributor

There are those & LOTS of other choices too....something for everyone.

Respected Contributor

I can't say it enough...NO to gnomes!

Esteemed Contributor

Gnones are a Scandinavian tradition that are to bring Good Luck.

Even though , I am not into Gnones, I think we all can use some Good Luck in the coming year .

Honored Contributor

One of the new trends this year was Grandma Vintage, so I'm not surprised to see new versions of vintage products.

My Grandfather had a 1950's red truck that he kept for many years.  I think they are cute.  

I'm not sure, but I think the red truck craze started with the Polar Express movie just like the silver bell and Polar Express Train did.  The train is still sold.  I suppose the bells are too.  

Trusted Contributor

@FranandZoe , this is what I was referring to when I mentioned "retro" christmas trees - they're often called "nostalgic" christmas trees: