Respected Contributor

Re: Gingerbread man decor...yes or no

I had gone thru quite a few years of very early American decor in my home. That is when I used faux gingerbread men all around my kitchen/breakfast area.

I had them in all sizes from small to very large. I grouped them on the windowsills along with some greenery. Also, had a big bowl stuffed full of them as a centerpiece on the kitchen table with a plaid table runner in the traditional red and green. Also used red glass ball ornaments in various sizes to round it all off - in the bowl and strewn randomly on the runner, and also a few here and there nestled in the greenery with the gingerbread men also. 

Must say, it did look nice now that I think about it.🤔

Gingerbread and Christmas go hand in hand in the kitchen.

-Texas Hill Country-
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Timely question for me! I had a kinda/sorta gingerbread theme in my kitchen during the holiday season until about a year ago. It's an adorable theme, but just not for me anymore. I'm in the process of purging and just this week donated all my gingerbread decor.  My lone remaining piece is this Portmeirion cookie jar with a Susan Winget illustration that I've had for many years. Just couldn't part with it, don't know why. 

IMG_3913.JPG

I'm trying to move past a tendency to "theme" my decor and just try to have things I love that sort of flow together, if that makes any sense. My goal is to simplify and use a "less is more" approach. Wish me luck, seeing as how it's CIJ month. 😳😬🤣

Honored Contributor

For me personally, I don't use gingerbread decor, or really, any that look like it would draw kids in, not that they aren't cute, they are. But I go more for "so called adult" decor, lol. If you like it, go for it. It's your home and you should use what you like and what calls to you.
"To each their own, in all things".
Respected Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@Marsha2003 wrote:

I think gingerbread families and candy canes, etc. are really cute, but I have to stop myself from decorating in every theme possible, so I don't use them.

@Marsha2003

It is so easy to get carried away isn't it?!

I never really cared for the theme but when Valerie comes on with everything to match and coordinate, I find myself considering something I don't even want to do! LOL

Kudos to her, that's how she makes her money! LOL

@Mominohio Absolutely, Valerie and her team do a terrific job of merchandising and I get pulled in every time.  I absolutely have to forbid myself from certain themes to control my purchases.  I work at developing my ability to appreciate things without having to own them.  

Respected Contributor

@Maltichonmom17 I like Susan Winget's designs.  I wouldn't be able to give up the cookie jar either and it's perfect to use in a kitchen.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mominohio wrote:

I don't know if it is 'in' or 'out' but how do you feel or do you use gingerbread decor in your holiday decorating?

I'm not a fan of the style Valerie Parr Hill brings. I think I would have been when my son was little or if I had small grandchildren. 

I do like primitive gingerbread, like those below.

Image result for primitive gingerbread man decor

Related image

So do you like/use gingerbread decor at all, or is it totally a pass for you?

@Mominohio

What I have now for decorations, there is no gingerbread anything. I like the pics of the jar of men and some primitive, but I've learned to look and pass on by. In all the years of heavy holiday decorating, I succumbed to my daughter's wants of the gingerbread village at Michaels (one of the pieces was a ferris wheel and the voice kept saying "Wheeeee, wheeee!). I also had the two gingerbread stuffed people (from Target many years ago during the Snowden era) to add to a large Santa sleigh. That was it. 

I'd rather have a nice plate of gingerbread cookies around and let people  smell and taste. If you're in a baking mood, send me some, please. Smiley Very Happy

On a side note: I figured the holiday forum was stirring up for CIJ once again. I hope you all have fun throughout July! I'll be watching when I can and reading what you all are doing and buying....or not buying!

ed for typos

Honored Contributor

@CAMOGIRL wrote:

I had gone thru quite a few years of very early American decor in my home. That is when I used faux gingerbread men all around my kitchen/breakfast area.

I had them in all sizes from small to very large. I grouped them on the windowsills along with some greenery. Also, had a big bowl stuffed full of them as a centerpiece on the kitchen table with a plaid table runner in the traditional red and green. Also used red glass ball ornaments in various sizes to round it all off - in the bowl and strewn randomly on the runner, and also a few here and there nestled in the greenery with the gingerbread men also. 

Must say, it did look nice now that I think about it.🤔

Gingerbread and Christmas go hand in hand in the kitchen.

@CAMOGIRL

That sounds so pretty! I would have loved to see it!

Honored Contributor

All Christmas decor is a YES for me. I would especially like it in a kitchen surrounded by some greenery on a baker's rack or hutch.

Super Contributor

I think I am more of a fan of gingerbread houses like Valerie's or Slakin/Homeworx. I like the baking Santas from Possible Dreams and Kurt Adler Fabriche  baking gingerbread cookies or a gingerbread train. Just a couple of days ago I did buy a gingerbread man inside a cookie cutter to hang on the wall that looks so bright and festive. I don't ever give a thought weather I have small children or grandchildren at the moment to influence a piece of Christmas decoration. Heck we were all children once and it all started with a child Smiley Happy. Just like that song " Christmas is for children...but aren't we all chidren Christmas day?".  I just like whatever brings a smile or brings happy childhood memories. Smiley Happy  I want it to be FUN!

Honored Contributor

I have a Kurt Adler gingerbread house ( gorgeous). He has some on Amazon. Also a Valerie gingerbread birdhouse, some of her gb characters and the candy cane stripe finials. These go on the sofa table.

There’s also a more primitive style tabletop tree with copper metal gb ornaments and a plaid tree skirt that goes in the kitchen.