Regular Contributor

Re: Gifts for mail carrier, others?

I agree with you. These folks, like millions and millions of us, are paid to do their job. I don't get a tip when I do mine and am not sure why in recent years we are supposed to tip mailmen, every other delivery person and the garbage men. Would I want their jobs - not really. Would I want them this time of year - for sure, not. I reserve tipping for those who have traditionally been tipped because they are paid such a low wage by their employer that they are tipped for the service - waitresses, shampoo girls, etc.

Respected Contributor

I don't tip my regular USPS carrier because I don't like the way he handles packages. Sometimes he brings them to my building and other times to the office across the street where I have to pick up. Very inconvenient. My regular UPS driver gets money in s nice card with hand written note letting him know how much I appreciate him delivering to my door.
Respected Contributor

Posted before I finished! I do the same for s coupke of the domestic workers at my condo, nice card, money and handwritten note of appreciation. I do not give Christmas gifts to hairstylist because I tip her well all year. Nail technician gets card and cash equivalent of each tip throughout the year.
Valued Contributor

Glad someone brought this up. I Like to give NY gifts, like a gift card to an eatery so they can have lunch. But this year, I noticed three different postal people. I didn't want to leave something in my mailbox (I live in an apartment complex) and have the person who works my route the least to get it. Its not like the old days when you had the same person who knew you by name and/or sight, talked with you and had a personal relationship with you. So I wasn't sure I was going to leave anything this year. What would you do?

Respected Contributor

@LisaMofSLC I agree, don't think I would do anything in your situation.
Trusted Contributor

@Kachina624 Well I agree with you there.  My mail carrier delivers my mail along with my neighbors mail (in my box) at least once a week.  There are days I am supposed to get mail and do not.  So, no, I do not gift him.  I once gave him a piece of mail that was addressed to someone blocks away.  He delivered it the next day - back to me.  Maybe I should gift him reading glasses lol.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Some of you equate giving gifts to tipping, when it's not the same at all.

I give gifts because it makes me feel good to show appreciation.

Then, maybe there will be a simple "thank you" (even on a post-it or something) and that makes it clear there is even just a simple acknowledgement of each other. 

This year, however, I got no thanks at all.  If there isn't going to be some acknowledgement, then it's time to rethink giving.  And that is the part that makes me sad.  

No, I'm not demanding it, but acknowledgement goes both ways.

Acknowledgement because we're in this together, no matter what our jobs are.  I don't give because I think others don't get paid well or are needy.  I give because I recognize we are two parts in this equation and that is my way of showing I understand it.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Esteemed Contributor

I made my mail gal a hat. She never wears one in the snow and now she wears it every day.