Honored Contributor

Gift giving, more, less or the same as always?

Since some talk about CIJ has started, I thought I'd ask, are you planning on buying more, less, or the same amount of gifts this year for Christmas, or any other holiday in the year? 

We have made dramatic cuts in gift giving over the last several years, and I expect to buy even less this year. 

We've trimmed the number of people, and the number of gifts per person for those we still buy for. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Gift giving, more, less or the same as always?

I'm not sure yet.  I am thinking it will be more than usual.  Most will go to my sister's teenagers.

Valued Contributor

I'm going to be buying less. I bought just to buy last year, and I'm still paying the c/ c off. No ones fault but my own. There will be gifts, but, I want to make this Christmas more about the season and family. 

Trusted Contributor

If I were in a tough financial situation and needed to cut back on my holiday gift giving, I would certainly inform my usual recipients that I would be doing so.  I wouldn’t want them to feel that they would needed to be as generous as usual, either.  

Honored Contributor

I predict prices will be significantly higher and people will cut back on their spending this year.  just think of all the gift items made overseas that will be subject to the new tariff, including the decorative CIJ  items made in Asia.  This will have an enormous impact on clothing also.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

I'm in the midst of life with two small kids - I have a new niece and my sister just got married.  I expect gift giving will be the same, if not a bit more, than last year.

I always say I'm going to cut back, but it never works out that way.  Honestly, I'd like to cut back with my own children.  I feel like they always get too much (but at the time I feel like it's not enough) and then I'm going crazy after Christmas trying to put their things away and organize.  Sometimes they don't even really play with the things they get.  When will I learn my lesson?      Smiley Indifferent

Esteemed Contributor

My brother is retiring next month....and gift giving between our families is basically exchanging gift cards.....so yes..

Honored Contributor

The same.

When I was a kid we didn't get much and we didn't expect more.  Now so many have more than enough and still want more!  What I've noticed is that so many just buy to have a gift to give without any real thought as to what anyone will use.  It seems like a game of who can buy or get the most gifts  - just like facebook friends or twitter followers.

We don't give gifts except for the 3 small children in SO's family.  Everyone seems to have everything and no one I know is really in need of anything so it's just pointless to buy gifts when everyone now can afford what they might want.  I give someone a $50 gift and they give me one.  Kind of ridiculous!  I know I sure don't need more unwanted stuff or gift cards to loose and it seems many others feel the same also.  

Honored Contributor

I think our gift spending will be around the same as last year.  I don't really keep exact track of it, to the penny, so I don't really know, but I think I probably always stay around the same.

The number of people I'm buying for will probably be the same.  Maybe a few less. We buy for several people and I enjoy that.   I'm thinking about cutting back a few people, but in the end probably won't.  Definitely no additions to the list.

What I AM doing this year that's going to be very different than last year is that I want the gifts to be physically small.  Last year I gave gifts to several people....many people.... and they were very bulky (I gave my group of friends all the same bulky gifts)  and hard to wrap and on the ones that needed to be shipped were difficult to find the right shipping box and then expensive to mail.  It drove me nuts.  By the time it was finally time to ship them or give them locally to the recipients, I was overwhelmed by it.  It all felt like clutter to me.  I couldn't wait to get the gifts out of our house.  GET IT ALL GONE.

So, as I've posted here earlier, I've already started shopping for this year.  I have my list and so far I'm doing a fabulous job, LOL, of getting great gifts that aren't so freaking bulky.  They're nice and physically small and I'm thrilled with my choices so far.  And hopefully that will help make Christmas not feel so overwhelming to me this year.  My goal is that the gifts I give to each of my friends, daughter in law and a great niece will fit inside a standard sized shirt box, not the larger sized robe box.

Oh, one change I'm going to work really hard on this year.  I'm the queen of the add on gift.  I'll be done and then find something(s) small that I really like and then I'll buy several and add them on to gifts I have.  I'm going to try to not do that this year.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

There are certain obligatory gifts that I have to do every year for work, etc.  Those won't change.  As for family, those will be less.  I am trying to pare down all gift purchases.  Our expenses keep increasing and our income does not!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin