Honored Contributor

I always give a Build A Bear gift card for a little one's second Christmas.

New babies get a handmade quilt.

Newly engaged couples get toasting flutes to use at the reception for their first toast.

Does anyone else do things like that?

Valued Contributor

Birthdays- Nieces and nephews always a gift to open and $.

Christmas- Family Get-Togethers, each family gets a big tin or box of homemade treats.

Honored Contributor

I did a handmade baby blanket for each of my nieces and nephew. 

I also carried forward a tradition from my aunt.  She gave my mother a birthstone ring when I was born and I have also done that for each of my nieces. 

Honored Contributor

Nice expensive and chosen specifically for the recipient Christmas ornaments for the younger ones. 

We did this for my son to build him a collection of ornaments for when he has his own home, each year the ornament reflecting something in his life at the time. A sport he was playing, a character he was into, a hobby he was pursuing, etc. 

I tend to choose these for kids and young adults, not the older people on my list, as they usually, like me, have too many already! And it is never the only gift.

And for baby showers, I never buy off the registry unless I know the family is in dire need of the basics, as I know they usually get way more clothing and things than they will need/use (been there done that). I build a small library (usually up to 20 books) from infant to toddler to young children classics. That gift will still be used for years and years, when all the onesies and frilly dresses are long gone and forgotten. 

Honored Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:

I did a handmade baby blanket for each of my nieces and nephew. 

I also carried forward a tradition from my aunt.  She gave my mother a birthstone ring when I was born and I have also done that for each of my nieces. 

@Laura14

Beautiful and thoughtful gifts.

Honored Contributor

Re: Gift Giving Traditions

[ Edited ]

For my nephews first Christmas, I gifted a Hallmark ornament.   By his choice, at age 30, the tradition continues.   He is very proud of his beautiful collection of ornaments.   

I have decided to change my habits this year, and am not shopping as I have done in the past.   While I am not going to change my mind, I have bought his ornament and intend to make it my only purchase this season.    

Respected Contributor

@RedTop  I have also given my (only) nephew a Christmas ornament every year since his birth.