Respected Contributor

Re: For those of you who use your garage for storage...

The garage is attached, and we had our ac/heat guy put in air vents out there when we replaced the system. It is the same temp out there as in the house basically, given a couple degree difference sometimes. The garage door itself is also well insulated, with no gaps on the top, bottom, or sides.

My husband insulated the door himself. Bought a kit. Pretty easy job. Accurate measuring and cutting is key. Just do research, as there are kits out there  that do nothing and ones that do the job they are supposed to. Just like anything else on the market.

Also, a garage door without gaps on the side, top, or bottom - leaves room for perhaps unwanted bugs and etc to get in. It needs a good seal to keep everything in (the air) or out (like any nasty little thing outside) that needs to stay outside if at all possible.

-Texas Hill Country-
Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

I have a storage space in the attic of my garage.  You can get to it by pulling down a pair of folding stairs.

Years ago, I used to store some Christmas items up there, but no more.  I stored Christmas wrapping paper in a black garbage bag sealed shut.

When I retrieved the bag and opened it, most of the rolls of paper were burnt.  I don't know how the fire started in that bag or how it burnt the paper and then the fire went out.  Our whole garage and attached house could have burned down.

i would never store any papers in a hot area again.

@Carmie

That would have scared the bejeebies out of me, to find that!

Lesson learned!

Honored Contributor

@CAMOGIRL wrote:

The garage is attached, and we had our ac/heat guy put in air vents out there when we replaced the system. It is the same temp out there as in the house basically, given a couple degree difference sometimes. The garage door itself is also well insulated, with no gaps on the top, bottom, or sides.

My husband insulated the door himself. Bought a kit. Pretty easy job. Accurate measuring and cutting is key. Just do research, as there are kits out there  that do nothing and ones that do the job they are supposed to. Just like anything else on the market.

Also, a garage door without gaps on the side, top, or bottom - leaves room for perhaps unwanted bugs and etc to get in. It needs a good seal to keep everything in (the air) or out (like any nasty little thing outside) that needs to stay outside if at all possible.

@CAMOGIRL

I would think I was the queen of England if we had heat/air to the garage! Lucky girl!

The garage is insulated, and walled, and all new energy efficient tilt in windows and a new insulated garage door, so it should be pretty well sealed from the bugs and things, but they find a way in somehow. 

I'm careful to put the door down just as soon as I pull in too, but living just feet from a huge woods, I guess nature is going to make it's way in regardless.

Respected Contributor

I live in a carriage style condo with an attached one car garage (my living area is above the garage).  I installed some shelves that hang from the ceiling, which keeps my covered storage bins off the floor and close to interior walls.  Although it gets pretty hot in summer and cold in winter I think the garage stays a little more temperate than if it was a standalone building.  I certainly wouldn't store anything perishable out there unless it was the dead of winter.  Mostly I store seasonal decor items and paper products from Costco and things like my humidifier and heater while I'm not using them.  Also, extra crafting supplies. 

Respected Contributor

I don't use the garage for storage....just too hot.

I store paper products and household items in the laundry room...which is large and has lots of shelves.

I never place Christmas items in the garage for fear they would be ruined. I store those things mostly in my studio and some in the attic. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

In Texas for me personally in the storage room off my patio no a/c or heat. I only put indoor/outdoor Christmas lights, wreaths, and outside decor.  Its just too hot in the summer.  I store mine inside! Being outside is an invitation for all kinds of insects/spiders to hide in the boxes too.

A friend put all of her Christmas items in her garage and most of them got ruined especially her snow globes.   

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Valued Contributor

@Mominohio  My garage first stores my car. I have some holiday items on a hanging shelf in totes and even have used trash bags.I live in Florida, with no cooling in the garage. I just wouldn't store paints and cleaners in there. I have an Origami shelf in there for emergency/extra items.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I live in Michigan.  Our garage is mainly used for our vehicles.  We do have an atttic on our garage which is used to store our outside holiday decorations - I figure they are use to a wide range of temperature conditions.  We don't have heating or cooling in our garage but we did just have a new roof including all boards put on a year ago.  I don't feel safe storing too much in the garage.  

Admittedly in the winter we like to take advantage of the garage as an extra fridge space when the temperatures are really low.  I use that space to cool down crock pots and pots of soup along with beverages.  When the temps get below 0 we bring all beverages inside so they don't explode.

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio  My garage gets cold in winter, but not hot in summer, so everything in plastic bins on shelving units seems to work.

I hardly see you post anymore.

Trusted Contributor

I keep my holiday stuff in my attached garage and have no problems.  Of course must add that many years ago one of my daughters decided she wanted her own room and decided the garage was to be it.  So, she all by herself put up dry wall, insulated it, put carpet down and partitioned it to make her room, complete with a door.  She was 18 at the time and the funny thing is that she only stayed there for 6 months or so and then moved in with her boyfriend lol.  So now I have a nice carpeted garage to store stuff.