Trusted Contributor

For Those That Send Christmas Cards...

For those of you that do send Christmas cards, do you continue to send cards year after year when the person you send the card to does not send one back to you?

I have 4 relatives of my husband that I keep sending cards to but they never send a card to us.  They're all in good health, financially stable, have time, etc. 

Then I have a few children of our good friends (the "children" are married, in their 30's, only 1 couple has children) and we usually see these couples about once a year at a summer party, but they also never send us any Christmas cards.  We went to their bridal showers, weddings, baby showers, etc.  They knew how to write an envelope and send us invitations for those events, but they don't send a Christmas card.

Would you continue to send cards or would you stop?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: For Those That Send Christmas Cards...

Suggestion:  give it up.  What's the big deal about getting a card with a signature on it?  Times have changed - postage is expensive.  If you want to stay close to old friends - call them, visit them during the year or email them.  I quit sending a piece of paper in an envelope years ago. 

Sorry - this is about the 5th posting about this issue. 

Regular Contributor

I've stopped. Don't want to be the person who keeps doing and gets no appreciation. But I also don't like that you only get cards if you send them out. Seems conditional vs. sincere. So I've stopped sending to those that don't care.

Respected Contributor

Good questions to ponder. I struggle with my DH composing a letter each year. I know I enjoy receiving info from our friends but I think that a picture is a super addition. I can put a name with a face. Trouble is it’s hard to get family in one place at same time. One letter we received had multiple small pictures on the back of the letter with names labeled. Such a treat.
Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

fhunt: Some of us are old fashion with regards to greeting cards. They are more than just a piece of paper in an envelope. Have you no romance, of any kind?

Honored Contributor

No, the cards are not important to them and they are sending you a message not to send cards.

Honored Contributor

We will continue to send out certain cards whether or not we receive one in return.

Honored Contributor

I would say, do what you want to do, regardless of the outcome but I wouldn’t feel obligated 

Honored Contributor

It's beginning to look like sending Christmas cards is an old-fashioned concept.  It has become very expensive as postal rates continue to escalate and the cards themselves are pricey too.  I get only a couple each year and no longer send them.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

Real, as in live, Christmas trees been shoved out. Change is hard. You can buy Christmas cards today, day after, for 75% or more off. Postage, that's one you can not get discounts on.