Respected Contributor

Re: First Taste of Christmas in July hits QVC in June

Still waiting for summer to start in Michigan. Lots of rain and still chilly!

Esteemed Contributor

@jackthebear wrote:

way too early

---------------

Yikes.....agree, way too early!!  QVC is kind of jumping the gun, but CIJ is a big money makers for the Q. I have always enjoyed CIJ, but starting in June???

Honored Contributor

I'll pass like I always do.  I don't even understand the fascination with CIJ.  It makes no sense to me.  They don't have a 4th of July in December or Memorial Day in August.  I love Christmas, it's my favorite time of the year but I love the real thing and I can wait for it.

Highlighted
Contributor

It’s starting the last day of June, not the whole month... it’s a day earlier than last year.   Why some people are so upset about it is nuts!!!  Just turn the tv off and go outside and enjoy the summer that y’all seem so fond of! 😂

Respected Contributor

@chrystaltree    Just my opinion:  Christmas purchases for gifts and decorating are big business which is why retailers promote Christmas in July.

In the bar industry there is a promotion called "Halfway to St. Patrick's Day" held each September.  Many Irish American taverns and private clubs hold one.  Why--to generate business during a slow time in their business cycle and many times there is a component of it that raises money for the local St. Patrick's Day parade or other charity.

So if it continues to be popular enough with customers in terms of a positive effect on its revenue I think QVC will continue to have Christmas in July.

Respected Contributor

I can't wait.....counting down the days.

I have three friends coming over during the afternoon and we plan on getting much of our shopping completed. So much fun to think about. Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@aroc3435 wrote:

@chrystaltree    Just my opinion:  Christmas purchases for gifts and decorating are big business which is why retailers promote Christmas in July.

---------------------

Years ago, one of the big brick and mortar stores in town always had a fall Christmas sale in early August.  Most items sale price - clothes, furniture, bath stuff, toys, holiday decor, bedroom linens etc. 

And when customers were done buying , they would go to a table to pick from a bowl of papers. That paper would  give customer a percentage off the total expense of their purchases.  Percent amount was always by chance, but sometimes the amount off was quite a bit of money -- from 75% to 15%!!

I went every single year the store was open.  DD and I made it an annual event.  I loved the savings and got ready for the holidays!   We always went to a diner and had pumpkin pie and coffee after the shopping!!  Such a good memory....

Honored Contributor

I'll be out of town that weekend.

It was bad enough when they began doing x-mas in July shows at the beginning of July.  Now into June is ridiculous.  They might as well just have x-mas shows year round.   

Valued Contributor

It’s one day earlier than it has usually been for the past 5 years, and people are acting like they’re doing Christmas in January. Why is it so hard to figure out that they just wanted to have it on a weekend day, because more people watch, and CIJ is a big money maker for them? 

Honored Contributor

There is every excuse in the book to make it earlier and earlier.  QVC used to do Christmas in July on the 24th and 25th of July.  2 days, get people excited about the holiday.  Then they began doing it those 2 days plus a few more throughout the month.

Then it started July 1 and goes throughout the entire month.  And now this year, because June 30th is on a weekend day (Sunday), that's the reason.  If they want it on a weekend, why not make it the following weekend, the first weekend of July and "Christmas in July" makes more sense.

All the holiday decor shows aren't my jam.  I'm not into all of the tsotchkes for the holidays anymore and haven't been for the last couple of years.  When Jill had the holiday decor shows, I would watch occassionally.