Valued Contributor

I had a conversation with a coworker who owns a fireworks stand and sales have tripled over last year. Every night until midnight or later and as early as six in the morning here.

I feel sorry for persons with PTSD and other medical conditions, pets, animals that have nowhere to hide, etc.

We had one assortment box when I was young (unless my parents ran out of money buying booze) and the neighborhood had a gathering and combined the boxes and lit them on the fourth.

Fun to watch other’s fireworks but it is annoying for two weeks leading up to July 4th. 

That’s my thoughts. What do you think?

Esteemed Contributor

I live in southern Calif. and the fireworks started several weeks ago --- and going strong this evening. I live near 2 navy bases - so there many people with all kinds of disorders plus the dogs/cats being freaked out and running away. I have a little lhasa and with each blast (some are like dynamite) she gets so scared. I'm on nextdoor dot com and people are FED UP. Our mayor lives nearby and he set up a task force to go after the companies that sell the fireworks -- and neighbors are calling a hotline when they know the street where people are setting them off. Some of these guys are throwing fireworks out of moving cars and one car had burn damage. Several people got fines of $1,000. Our society has gone down a few notches in the last several years - so nothing surprises me anymore.

Honored Contributor

I think they should be left to the professionals and displayed on holidays only.  I don't like the ones that make loud noises left in the hands of kids.  They start every night down the street, after dark and are inconsiderate to animals and people who have to get up for work, and those with PTSD and combat vets.

Honored Contributor

When you live the the desert during a time of year when it's typically very dry, it's just madness to allow these things to be sold and set off.  It always causes a great deal of concern.  So far, I've only heard a couple of small ones, although I heard they're a big problem some places.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

We spend almost every 4th at my SIL's at the farm where DH grew up (It's not a farm any more.) The current at the time group of teens or preteens in our family would go to the other side of the pond and set some off, with supervision of an older cousin. We used to go to town, but later just decided to stay home, relax by the pond, and enjoy their show. 

The last group of young teens, which included DS, was excited about doing this. The night before, I went upstairs to the bedroom we always sleep in, which was our nephew's room until his oldest brothers left. There were 5 boys in there pulling fireworks out from UNDER his bed! When I saw what we had been sleeping over I almost passed out! I was glad I didn't know they were there, and I was glad they were now going to be down in the barn! Actually their show was pretty spectacular that year - and that was the last year. We enjoyed listening to them talk and plan while they were setting them off. Now they're all in their early 20's and scattered. It will never be the same. 

We are not going up this year obviously, but I've been hearing fireworks around here for a couple of weeks. The town celebrations are cancelled. Smiley Sad

Respected Contributor

I'm hoping we don't have anybody setting them off. It's too dry here in my part of PA.

Respected Contributor

Fireworks are illeagal in my state.  That does not stop Billboards for fireworks shops in neighboring states to be put up all over,  Nor has it stopped those who wish to ignore the law to light them off Every night.  Mostly after midnight.  Our area is tinder dry and densely populated that makes me worry also.

Honored Contributor

I live near an urban area.   it's either fireworks or "celebratory" gun fire, pick your poison.

Personally I love fireworks, but I loved the circus too.

I plan on buying some.   

I'm just tired of everyone getting offended by everything,

If you live in an area where open burning is banned, use common sense.  

@Reconnaissant wrote:

I had a conversation with a coworker who owns a fireworks stand and sales have tripled over last year. Every night until midnight or later and as early as six in the morning here.

I feel sorry for persons with PTSD and other medical conditions, pets, animals that have nowhere to hide, etc.

We had one assortment box when I was young (unless my parents ran out of money buying booze) and the neighborhood had a gathering and combined the boxes and lit them on the fourth.

Fun to watch other’s fireworks but it is annoying for two weeks leading up to July 4th. 

That’s my thoughts. What do you think?

Esteemed Contributor

It's so dry in Arizona so I don't like them unless they are in a professional setting. Unfortunately they are sold on street corners and in some stores. Several years ago an idiot neighbor of ours almost burned down his garage by setting them off in his driveway. As it was he burned his garbage can to a melted puddle and did some damage to his garage door. This past Christmas Eve several idiots were setting them off almost all night. So no I don't like when ordinary people get their hands on them. 

Trusted Contributor

Re: Fireworks, Thoughts?

[ Edited ]

I love staged fireworks shows and will miss the ones we see here in my state.  I'm personally sick and tired of the amateurs who have been shooting off cherry bombs and such for months.  It scares the heck out of my poor cat, but even more importantly, it upsets young kids and older folks who might have a PTSD condition.  I have a neighbor who has gone way beyond reasonableness, but I can't call PD to report him because guess what?  The guy is a PO.  Yes, and fireworks are illegal in my jurisdiction.