Honored Contributor

Re: Fireworks, Thoughts?

[ Edited ]

I live on a court with townhouses and a family across from me always set off several boxes of firecrackers at a time.

I don't get the appeal at all.  But I'd rather have 5 minutes of boxes than two hours of individual fire crackers.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

Never been a fireworks fan. Not a fan of the noise, smoke, or smell. 

I don’t like the big fireworks shows or my neighbors setting them off in the street. I get tired of picking up the remains of their fireworks in my yard. I also fear one will hit our house or someone else’s and start a fire. It goes on all summer! Ugh! 

When I was a child all we had were sparklers. A few of our neighbors had Roman candles which were illegal. A friend of my DH blew off part of his finger with an illegal homemade firework. 

Respected Contributor

I like "professional" fireworks but all have been cancelled this year where we live.  I DON'T like fireworks that are set off near where I live.  My two dogs are terrified and like others have said, it goes on WAY too long.

Super Contributor
@LindaSal - I am with you. Although our neighborhood has been much quieter in recent years, activity has increased this year. I live in the family home that is in an urban area. Our city has an no tolerance policy, and a Mayor that really cares about our City. I also have wonderful neighbors. Fireworks are available in numerous retail stores and from out of state. I believe that people who live in urban areas should be able to live in peace as much as in other areas. The Fourth of July is not celebrated by me. I am a caregiver to my twin sister and to cats. People who sell fireworks don’t care about human or animal life and have coxed states to relax their laws. I am just praying for my family, animals (pets and feral), and my City. LadyAlice 🙏❤️
Valued Contributor

My opinion is that fireworks are dumb.  They are bad for people with PTSD, children with sensory processing problems, pets, wildlife, and it pollutes the environment.  Plus, they simply annoy a lot of people.  I simply don't understand the appeal of them.

Honored Contributor

Re: Fireworks, Thoughts?

[ Edited ]

Our city canceled our big 4th Celebration, and from what the news said, sales at local firework stands are setting records (I guess people are going to ignore the CDC recommendations and have their own big parties, and also violate the city ordinance that prohibits sales and shooting off fireworks in the city limits....)  

There were so many complaints on New Years Day that the non-emergency police could not keep up with the calls....The Mayor established a separate task force and phone number to report violations and I bet they will be REAL BUSY this weekend!!!  

I hate how the fireworks rank havoc for those with PTSD and for animals that go crazy when fireworks are set off.....And then there's the risk of fires, but some people don't care and have no sense of responsibility for their actions... 😡

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Respected Contributor

They are fun and beautiful but I dread this week. Too many people are irresponsible. 

Honored Contributor

I have never liked fireworks and see no point to them except for a fourth of July show run by professionals.  All it is is noise pollution which affects people and animals.  Fireworks should be illegal especially in densely populated areas. 

I would bet most of those who blast these fireworks for days haven't a clue as to what the 4th of July even means.  If people think fireworks are the reason for 4th of July, it speaks volumes.

Esteemed Contributor

@rms1954 wrote:

I think they should be left to the professionals and displayed on holidays only.  I don't like the ones that make loud noises left in the hands of kids.  They start every night down the street, after dark and are inconsiderate to animals and people who have to get up for work, and those with PTSD and combat vets.

My roomie is career navy - and has PTSD and other disorders.

Honored Contributor

Over half the towns by me have cancelled their shows so the remaining displays will be crowded. It's been quiet so far, but I'll probably hear a few neighbors setting off fireworks tomorrow night. Just want people to stay safe.