Esteemed Contributor

In many states they are illegal but like most other things these days, it's not enforced.  I too believe that they should be left to the professionals and not in the hands of amatuers.  They can be very dangerous, look at Utah, a massive fire caused by fireworks.  It's not like someone said to stop finding everything offensive, I'm sorry if my house burns down because of some lunatic, YES, I will be offended!!  And the circus was just abusive to animals, BTW.

My sister has worked in our state zoo for thirty years and we always boycotted the circus.

Respected Contributor

I always feel sorry for the animals around fireworks time.  Many are truly terrified. Can't imagine their distress.   I had one dog that was terrified and and one that completely ignored them.  Had both of these dogs at the same time.

Super Contributor

I live in a city that sells "Safe and Sane" fireworks.  Ususally people come from everywhere to buy the fireworks and you can usually hear illegal fireworks for a week or two before the 4th, and a few days after, as well as after every professional sports team championship, and New Year's Eve.  I HATE THEM, I have a small dog that absolutely goes crazy.  This year they have been going off since the beginning of June.

You would think that this year of all years they would not sell the fireworks--but no the City Council decided to sell permits to half of the booths instead.  Why?  Because all the fireworks support local charities and they make mucho bucks.

I have a neighbor who has 2 prescool autistic children and I cannot imagine what will happen over there.  There will be large crowds even though we are still shelter in place and in a drought.

Esteemed Contributor

This morning I took a drive to the next town to drop off paperwork and was shocked at the number of 'tents' that went up over the past week. I know we had fireworks as kids and my big bro loved them. My kids loved them -- but professional displays are the only ones I enjoy watching. Our dog dreads it. Can't imagine how people with PTSD feel about the noise. I am missing the Friday night fireworks at Kauffman Stadium - KC Royals Pro Baseball. Next year... 

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

All of the professional shows held by various municipalities in my area have been cancelled so people are going to be putting on their own shows this year, I'm sure.

I have seen posts on our various community social media pages about excessive fire works every day for over a month now.  It's not clear where they are being purcahsed from because the 2 main sales tents that are normally up this time of year were not granted permits.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Esteemed Contributor

@Reconnaissant  My children say our neighborhood fireworks are some of their favorite neighborhood memories. We live in a cul de sac, and we set them off there. We always had buckets of water to contain the spent fireworks and in case there was a grass fire. There was always a contest for most spectacular display with the people up at the end of the street. Lots of fun! Our dog stayed in the house with the TV going.

Super Contributor

Fireworks, in the hands of professionals, I can take or leave.   What I DO mind is fireCRACKERS going off for hours, into the night, and it started a couple of weeks ago already.  Where people are getting them, I don't know, but where there's a will, there's a way.

I live in Northern California (SF Bay Area), and the whole state, like many others, is a box of kindling waiting to explode.  

It's another example of selfish behavior, IMHO.   No one goes into it thinking that they might cause a fire, but it happens, and then peoples' lives and property are destroyed.

To them, I say, THINK ABOUT SOMEBODY OTHER THAN YOURSELF FOR A CHANGE.   Surely there are safer ways to enjoy your time.

Respected Contributor

I hate people shooting them off themselves. I'm ok with a short city thing. So many dogs are terrified of them and run away.Not to mention all the injuries to people. 

Respected Contributor

In Philly they've been a LOUD and BOOMING annoyance for weeks, ever since the riots.

AND I abhore them, I feel TERRIBLE for the feral animals, the dogs chained up in dank yards, the animals at the Philadelphia Zoo, the police horses in stables, and all of Gods poor creatures with no where to hide from the constant and unending nightly ritualistic eardrum busting noise.

Philly refuses to take matters seriously and put an end to it. 

It's allowed - l feel like we're held hostage lately.

Honored Contributor

Not a fan.  It lasts for weeks and goes until well after midnight.  Makes it tough having to get up for work in the morning.