Respected Contributor

Re: Finally figured things out

@Regal Bee wrote:

Nothing will change in this situation until YOU do.

Lay down some rules and mean them. I would suggest writing a letter to both brothers and stating the new house rules. Then it is up to them whether they want to visit or not....put the ball in their court.

If they get angry....so be it, it won't be the end of the world. They are both completely and utterly selfish.

So sorry you have to endure this.

Wow!  A letter is a good idea.  They can't deny knowing the rules if they are in writing.  Sometimes you have to be blunt.  Again good luck D!

Yoou should be 100% happy in your own home.

Respected Contributor

I figured out things too, my FIL & some family members visit and I can't believe that they think we have to cater to them. My friends are nice & easy guests. We get the call the tickets are brought & pick me up this day & time etc... They never ask if we are busy those days. So one time phone rang and I'm coming out, well that week my DD was moving into her 1st apt & having them come out was not the time. I asked them to switch dates & said not this week. Guess what?? They haven't spoke to me since. That was 2yrs ago. I will never stay at anyone's house, get hotel room, rent a car & never buy tickets unless we both confirm the dates. Also they never invite us to come visit them, I would love just to call them & say pick us up this day etc... they would go insane. 

Esteemed Contributor

@sissel Wow, just wow. I find it hard to imagine how "ballsy" people can be. Family or not, that is so inconsiderate. Maybe you're the winner since they haven't spoken to you in two years. Shows how much you meant to them. (Sadly)

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Honored Contributor

@drizzellla   I couldn't agree more with @nana59.  She laid it out for you and gave you some good advice for finally figuring it out.  People can only continue to take advantage of you if you let them.  Your brothers might even find some respect for you if you speak up for yourself.  Good luck.