Esteemed Contributor

Feeling like Scrooge this year......

Talked with the extended family and we all agreed to cut out gifts this year. It was becoming just a Gift card exchange anyway.

It was my idea to stop, but everyone agreed and I think it was a relief for the retired ones. I think others wanted to stop, but didn't want to be the one to suggest it...

We are still getting together for Dinner....

Honored Contributor

Re: Feeling like Scrooge this year......

I heard a clerk mention yesterday that they were not buying for their kids this year - I think they were not little kids, maybe high school age.  They were going to go to Florida over spring break.  She implied they all had to much stuff and did not want to buy more 'stuff'.

Trusted Contributor

I think as we get older that it's a relief.  We stopped last year, acutally just did a yankee swap with a $25 gift limit.

Financially it was much better and it was so much less stressfull.  I look forward to seeing everyone for dinner but I'm really glad no more big gifts.  

Valued Contributor

Good for you! I'm happy the others agreed. I suggested our family adopt a needy family through our church rather than buying "things" for each other that no one needs or wants. My suggestion was met with dead silence. This was several years ago and I haven't brought it up since. DH has a sister who lives in another state and their birthdays are within a week of each other, he sends her a $25 gift card and she sends him a $25 gift card! How silly is that? 

Honored Contributor

@Nataliesgramma wrote:

Talked with the extended family and we all agreed to cut out gifts this year. It was becoming just a Gift card exchange anyway.

It was my idea to stop, but everyone agreed and I think it was a relief for the retired ones. I think others wanted to stop, but didn't want to be the one to suggest it...

We are still getting together for Dinner....

I don't think you should feel like Scrooge,  just sensible 

Frequent Contributor

I did the same a few years ago. It was to the point the kids had so many people buying them gifts, that is was a bit sad to watch. Wayyyyy overboard. We even tried a one person gift exchange first, the person would give you 3 ideas of what they wanted for $50, and it was kind of weird. So we just all stopped. Individual families can buy each other what they want to still, but we are out. Everybody has too much stuff nowadays, the kids would just open gifts to be done with it, and throw the stuff aside. I for one, don't care to waste my money that way.

Honored Contributor

I think one should do what one feels like doing. Years ago (maybe 8-9) my BFF told me she didn't want to do gifts any more. I agreed,but looking back I wish I would have told her to do what she wants and we should have done the same. We enjoy giving gifts to our loved ones and do not feel it has to be a lot of $$. Remember that old chestnut,"It's the thought that counts."

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man
Honored Contributor

We still give gifts but just to one person and then my daughter puts all kinds of neat things in everyone's stocking.

But for the little kids everyone gives them something.

I still like the present giving but I often have a hard time coming up with something meaningful for that person.

And I don't like to give just anything just to give a gift.

I don't like to get a lot of stuff anymore either for myself that I can't use up because I just don't need any more stuff or have any more room for things.

A lot of people say Thanksgiving is their favorite holiday because they don't have to worry about presents.

For me, Christmas will always be my favorite. 

Everyone's "love language" is different. one of my daughters loves to cook and entertain so for her Thanksgiving is her favorite.

I always think about Thanksgiving- all this work all day and all this clean-up and no pretty presents to surprise each other with and obviously I don't like to cook!

I think a lot of it might have to do with the kind of memories we have of holidays past as to which one we like or don't like best!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Esteemed Contributor

@Nataliesgramma, You are doing the right thing.  We have not exchanged gifts with adults in our families for years now.  What a relief!  We tried various wind-downs for several years.  

Everyone drawing a name and gifting that particular person, the gift card routine, etc.  Of course, had my dear mother been still with us, she would have been still heavily gifted.  Our two GC are still given gifts (little people exemption).

Better to increase charitable giving, to help the needy.  And the amount of stress reduction is remarkable.  It does not prevent me from giving a few “just because”gifts to my children throughout the year.  

Honored Contributor

amusing that this discussion plays out on site dedicated to buy gifts for everyone who you meet during the year