Frequent Contributor

Been living in FL for almost 7 years from MD. I used to love decorating my home in MD for the seasons/holidays especially fall (my favorite). Now living in FL., I'm really missing the changing colors of trees; but, only decorate for Halloween and Thanksgiving because it seems weird during the fall months here in a warm/hot state. I know I can celebrate the fall season with no fall foliage around here as there's no rule. 

I'm wondering if I'm alone about this philosophy because of living previously from a northern state all my life!

Happy Fall Ya'll! 🍁🍂

Esteemed Contributor

I get it @Villagesbabe   Born and raised in NJ and now in Texas. I go by the calendar not the temp. Labor Day always meant back to school, putting white pants away, and the unofficial start of fall. Usually I go by the first day of fall but this year I am starting Labor Day. I need some fun and I love fall decorations almost as much as Christmas ones. Do what makes you happy.  I'll wait until later in the month to put fall wreath on the door but inside, all bet's are off and the decor is coming out. 

Contributor

I am from PA but now live in FL.  I've been in FL several years and never really decorated for Fall either because, as you said, it's so hot in the fall season in many parts of FL. For some reason this year I am going to decorate for Fall. Maybe because of what's going on in the world right now, I just feel like adding a little joy to my home with some new decorations.

One of the large craft stores in my area is having a 40% off sale and I got a few items. Got a large metal garden stake pumpkin for our mulch bed, a new wreath for the front door and a craft type project for the dining room table center piece.

That last 'project' only turned out marginally well, but I had fun making it and that was the whole point.  I got one of those medium sized straw bales and some fall picks and such and decided to make a centerpiece. 

Once opened, that straw bale started falling apart. It was shedding everywhere. I could have made a whole new bale out of what fell off of it. LOL  Still, it turned out pretty good even though the bale is now only half it's original size. haha  I'm looking forward to placing it on our table come mid-September. 

I even enjoyed my trip to the store to look at all the Fall items, which is unusual for me since, I too, can't really get into Fall when it's 90+ degrees outside. I may not do this every year, but this year it just felt right. 

Respected Contributor

I am almost finished with my fall decorating.  I live in Ohio and we do have the fall season but I am getting bored with my Spring/Summer deco.  I started a little at a time one day and couldn't wait so I started bringing the rest out.  After looking through pictures of my Christmas decorations I am going to go minimalist this year.  A lot of things to go to the thrift store.  I didn't realize how much stuff I have.  Happy Christmas everyone.

Trusted Contributor

@Villagesbabe wrote:

Been living in FL for almost 7 years from MD. I used to love decorating my home in MD for the seasons/holidays especially fall (my favorite). Now living in FL., I'm really missing the changing colors of trees; but, only decorate for Halloween and Thanksgiving because it seems weird during the fall months here in a warm/hot state. I know I can celebrate the fall season with no fall foliage around here as there's no rule. 

I'm wondering if I'm alone about this philosophy because of living previously from a northern state all my life!

Happy Fall Ya'll! 🍁🍂

@Villagesbabe    I have lived in PA.  most of my life...with the exception of 2 years in Florida....not by choice...but family needs.  I really never adjusted to the heat or lack of seasons in Florida...especially fall (my favorite too).   I still remember flying back to PA for a job interview in the fall of my last year in Florida.   Before landing I looked out the window and the trees were beautiful vivid colors.  I knew I was going to be "Home" again.  It was a great feeling.  Love the seasons...can't wait for fall.  

Honored Contributor

Fall is a beautiful season in Wisconsin. I'll definitely be decorating around Labor Day. Only thing I won't put out are football decorations because I doubt there will be a season. 🏈

Valued Contributor

@Villagesbabe -- Transplanted to south Fla from Michigan.  I've been down here 13 years and I miss the Michigan autumns desperately!!!  The August heat in Florida is almost unbearable.  I'm an avid Christmas decorator, and living in Florida has made me an autumn decorator because I long for cooler temps and the beautiful Fall colors.  

By next week, I'll have my VPH brown birch trees out, with pumpkins and leaves all over the house.  I don't decorate for Halloween, just autumn.

Respected Contributor

I live in California and have somewhat the same issue with putting out fall decor when it is still summery weather as our summer weather starts late and doesn't end until some time in October/November.  I solved the problem last year by changing my fall decor from the traditional russets and golds to white and pale green.  It still features pumpkins and gourds, but in lighter, cooler colors.

A371007B-9B2E-4D8C-9E82-960C6B81DC38.jpeg

Trusted Contributor

@Marsha2003 

What a perfect solution and what a beautiful job you did!  I just love this.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Marsha2003 wrote:

I live in California and have somewhat the same issue with putting out fall decor when it is still summery weather as our summer weather starts late and doesn't end until some time in October/November.  I solved the problem last year by changing my fall decor from the traditional russets and golds to white and pale green.  It still features pumpkins and gourds, but in lighter, cooler colors.

A371007B-9B2E-4D8C-9E82-960C6B81DC38.jpeg

@Marsha2003   I love your display!  I like the metal pumpkin and your coffee table, too.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau