Regular Contributor

Re: FYI: Valerie Parr Hill "Red Truck"

Guess it really doesn't matter why I bought the white truck but you see my late husband owned a white truck very much like this one. I sold the truck and now I look at this truck on the mantle and I think of him every morning and remember how he looked driving  off in his beloved truck.Thank you Valerie.

Respected Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@Reever wrote:

@homedecor1 wrote:

@Reever -- This was your original reply -- at no point did you mention your decor or what you prefer to decorate with!  

Ive never understood the fascination that grown women have in a pick up truck.  To me it is childish and not something fitting of a senior.  I will pass on the truck.  As an aside did anyone ask if she will be brining in more American made goods this year ?  Sadly she is contracting almost exclusively with the Chinese in recent years.

Honestly, I have roosters & more in my decor but why chastise others for what they like!!

Of course, everything is from China or some other country .,.its common knowledge...

I do apologize if my words hurt you in any way as I did not mean to chastise you.  Having watched many shows on HGTV I have strong opinions on decor. 

I do hope Valeirie listened to what I told her on Facebook about Chinese goods.  She is a lovely dear woman with a kind heart. 

Regardless we are all anxiously awaiting CIJ programming !

@Reever 

Good point about going to VPH Facebook and letting her know we want to see goods produced elsewhere. 

I'm not sure what power she has to make the changes, but letting both her and QVC know our desires is a good idea, and I will be doing that as well. 

Doesn't she own her company? Why wouldn't she have the power to make those decisions?

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Respected Contributor

The reason that most holiday decor items are made in China is due to demand. People want things and they want them cheap. Don't shop in Hobby Lobby, Walmart, $ store, Michaels or any of the big box stores for holiday decor if you have an aversion to all things Chinese. It would be wonderful to find American made Christmas items in stores or online but I don't see this happening. People shop with their wallets. Lower costs yield higher sales.

And for the record I don't have a red truck but I think they are cute and see absolutely nothing childish about a red truck. 

Valued Contributor

I'm a 71 yr.senior who has driven burgandy/red trucks most of my married life...almost 50 years. We only owned a car when my daughters were babies to accomodate baby carriers, no car seats required way back then. So since the 1980s I have only driven trucks. When my DH would buy a new truck (ALWAYS burg./red) he would pass his previous truck down to me. When he retired we bought a Dark Cherry Red Dodge Ram, which I still drive today. I don't own the mini version, but both of my grown daughters own a little red truck in memory of their beloved Dad. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mominohio wrote:

@fthunt wrote:

@Reever You beat me to the punch about the adoration about a toy red truck.  What in (blueberry hill) does a truck and Christmas have.in common.  A sleigh - okay - but a TRUCK?

Christmas decor anymore is what you want it to be. People are getting away from traditional Santa things and using something that has a longer decorating window, and I think that is a big part of why the red truck thing took off so strong.  

Sadly I dont think this is a good trend. Christmas should be about tradition.  Santas, snowmen and reindeer with a majestic tree.  I am sorry if tradition is being ignored in this country but I will continue it while I can.

Esteemed Contributor

One little red truck (or blue or white) is not a break from tradition! There isn't a single person I know who doesn't put up some type of Christmas tree, whether it be a large one or a small one, and whether they are real trees, artificial trees, or tabletop ceramic trees. And like others, I still put out a few of the traditional and important (to me) decor for the Christmas season. I'm 72 and have noticed that our grandsons love their little red trucks at Christmas just as much as their traditional decorations of Santa, reindeer and snowmen.

Please be kind to others, @Reever, and don't assume that those of us who don't have the same decor as you, are childish or immature. At 72, a "majestic tree" would be an impossibility for me. The Christmas tradition is alive and well in most homes, so don't worry about having to keep it alive on your own because of a little red truck.

Honored Contributor

@Reever  Christmas is THE time to bring out the inner child,  how sad that you have lost that.

Honored Contributor

@mom2four0418 wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

@Reever wrote:

@homedecor1 wrote:

@Reever -- This was your original reply -- at no point did you mention your decor or what you prefer to decorate with!  

Ive never understood the fascination that grown women have in a pick up truck.  To me it is childish and not something fitting of a senior.  I will pass on the truck.  As an aside did anyone ask if she will be brining in more American made goods this year ?  Sadly she is contracting almost exclusively with the Chinese in recent years.

Honestly, I have roosters & more in my decor but why chastise others for what they like!!

Of course, everything is from China or some other country .,.its common knowledge...

I do apologize if my words hurt you in any way as I did not mean to chastise you.  Having watched many shows on HGTV I have strong opinions on decor. 

I do hope Valeirie listened to what I told her on Facebook about Chinese goods.  She is a lovely dear woman with a kind heart. 

Regardless we are all anxiously awaiting CIJ programming !

@Reever 

Good point about going to VPH Facebook and letting her know we want to see goods produced elsewhere. 

I'm not sure what power she has to make the changes, but letting both her and QVC know our desires is a good idea, and I will be doing that as well. 

Doesn't she own her company? Why wouldn't she have the power to make those decisions?

I don't know if she actually owns a company or not. What she is confined to is coming up with things that the qvc buyers will buy. VPH and other vendors don't have any real say in what the buyers decide. The buyers choose from among the ideas brought to them by people like Tara with Temp-tations or Valerie in the home decor line. 

QVC is about profit and price points that sell to make that profit. As the years go on, they are only about selling, not really about quality, as we have seen such a decline in the quality of the goods they sell relative to 30 years ago. 

Valerie could easily source things from the USA, but if the QVC buyers don't see them as what will sell and make the right amount of profit, we won't see it. The only way to encourage QVC to buy made in USA, is to stop buying what they bring made in China.

Honored Contributor

@Reever wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

@fthunt wrote:

@Reever You beat me to the punch about the adoration about a toy red truck.  What in (blueberry hill) does a truck and Christmas have.in common.  A sleigh - okay - but a TRUCK?

Christmas decor anymore is what you want it to be. People are getting away from traditional Santa things and using something that has a longer decorating window, and I think that is a big part of why the red truck thing took off so strong.  

Sadly I dont think this is a good trend. Christmas should be about tradition.  Santas, snowmen and reindeer with a majestic tree.  I am sorry if tradition is being ignored in this country but I will continue it while I can.

@Reever 

I respect tradition and enjoy it when well done, regardless of the theme. 

But let's be clear. Christmas isn't about Santa and snowmen and reindeer, it's about the birth of Christ. 

So really, anything other than the nativity and things surrounding that and it's not about original tradition, including Santa and all the trappings. 

Once you leave behind or deviate from the original meaning of Christmas, it becomes secular (which is fine, not complaints about that from me) and then anything goes in decor, really.

Contributor

Geez people, she only gave her opinion on a look/theme. She can do that. No need to crucify her.