Honored Contributor

FELLOW BIRD AND CANDLE PEDESTAL LOVERS

Stumbled by accident on this Valerie Parr Hill item I'd never seen before-- there doesn't even seem to be a video of it:

https://www.qvc.com/Vintage-HollyBow-Bird-Candleholder-by-Valerie.product.H324082.html?sc=SRCH

index.png

Isn't that birdie sweet-- its little eyes close up are so alert.  I like:  the retro look of it, and the festive two-tone gold and silver aspect of it-- it would tie a lot of other silver and gold Christmas accessories together.  And the fresh green holly leaves and berries are pretty.

According to the one review, the platform for a candle or votive is quite generous, so you could probably use it as a pedestal for a lot of things.

Anyhoo, a cute bird is always guaranteed to stop me in my tracks....

Honored Contributor

Re: FELLOW BIRD AND CANDLE PEDESTAL LOVERS

@Oznell wrote:

Stumbled by accident on this Valerie Parr Hill item I'd never seen before-- there doesn't even seem to be a video of it:

https://www.qvc.com/Vintage-HollyBow-Bird-Candleholder-by-Valerie.product.H324082.html?sc=SRCH

index.png

Isn't that birdie sweet-- its little eyes close up are so alert.  I like:  the retro look of it, and the festive two-tone gold and silver aspect of it-- it would tie a lot of other silver and gold Christmas accessories together.  And the fresh green holly leaves and berries are pretty.

According to the one review, the platform for a candle or votive is quite generous, so you could probably use it as a pedestal for a lot of things.

Anyhoo, a cute bird is always guaranteed to stop me in my tracks....

@Oznell 

Very pretty!!! 

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Trusted Contributor

@Oznell  Another bird. LOL  So did you order it?

I wonder if it could pass as a non-seasonal item?  Hard to tell just

from a picture?

I'll wait for you to find this birdie on As Is...and hope I don't miss 

your post.  I rarely buy anything from Q at full price.

I can hear the birdie calling me....

Cheap Cheap Cheap.  Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

The bird is adorable.  It reminds me a ibit of those extra-cute English/European robins, although it's probably a bushtit or something similar.  English robins look quite different from our American robins.

The weird thing is I have an aversion to products made from resin.  I'm sure they are perfectly fine but, when I was a child, we had a neighbor who considered herself a crafter and would make jewelry and more with resin.  She'd bake it in her oven and it created the most awful smell.  Anything else she cooked in that oven would take on the smell, too. 

So when I would babysit her kids, I wouldn't eat any of the cookies she ever made.  Woman LOL  Funny how childhood memories have such a hold on us (me).

I think this would be a lovely addition to your bird collection, @Oznell  If it ends up living with you, I hope you might show us a picture.

English robin

Image result for english robin"

Bushtit

Image result for bushtit"

American robin

Image result for robin"

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Super Contributor

I ordered these on July 11 but I don't remember whether or not I just saw them online or whether they were part of her shows on July 12---14. I don't  think that they are only for Christmas/winter display.  I put mine out as soon as they came. They go well with all my silver mercury glass items from Valerie. 

Honored Contributor

Ha, ha, @yellowrose and @GingerPeach, you really have my number!   No, I haven't sprung for this cutie.   I do have a "sort of" rule that I can buy one Christmas decoration a year.  Some years I might get more than one, some years not buy any at all, so it evens out!  Plus I usually donate some older Christmas item to keep the overall number down.

This piece could be in the running, but not sure.  @yellowrose, the exact same calculation ran through my mind-- could this span longer than the Christmas season?  I would say for me, definitely yes, and it's great to get @JCath's judgment on this, since she has it.  (Even the holly is fine for all year, since I was born in January, I embrace holly year round.)  Love the idea @JCath had, of mixing with mercury glass too.

As far as resin, @GingerPeach,  it depends.  I used to be more of a purist, and even now, my accessories are predominantly ceramic, metal, glass and wood.  BUT,  a few of my most fun pieces are resin too, like the adorable "stone-like"  double bird planter I got from the Q.   I have pillar candle holders you'd swear were mahogany.  

Ages ago, I had a bowl of oversized, "folk art" eggs (painted resin, ha) in my living room, and our neighbor, an elite woodworker, who restored antiques etc., was fooled into thinking they were wood!  Then I got the Homeworx very sleek silver "bamboo" candle holders, which were resin, and looked and felt fab.   So, all that to say it just depends, if that makes sense.  I also kind of like the exaggerated, "theater-prop" aspect of some resin pieces.  Not sure if that explains it adequately.....   But I have seen my share of resin pieces that I don't think are executed well and wouldn't get them.

Thanks for the little ornithology discourse--  such cute birds, and very interesting!