Valued Contributor

Re: FAREWELL TO CIJ WITH A QUIETLY FESTIVE ALABAMA HOUSE

What a pretty and welcoming home. I could be comfortable there!

Honored Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

@Foxxee, didn't you like the accents of rustic wood ceilings and beams?  That's what appealed to me-- to me, it personalized and "warmed up" the spaces...

@Oznell 

"Personalized" is a good word to describe the rustic wood.

That's why I said it was not a good idea to do with this house.

I suppose it's because I moved quite a few times that I think about how difficult, how long would it take to sell my house if major changes to the architecture were too personalized...something that the average buyer might not like.  

The architecture of this house is so far removed, more formal, IMO, from the rustic changes that were done.  Even the furniture is in keeping with house's architecture.

Although, the house is very nice, I think it would be difficult to sell.  Would need a special buyer...take quite some time to find one.

A recent example, although, this isn't an architectural change, a house in my neighborhood was for sale over 2 1/2 years.  What was it buyers didn't like?  The dark green wall to wall carpeting that the owner had installed new for the sale.  It's best to use a neutral color like beige, tan, or light gray, colors that go with most other colors of furniture. 

Because of that color rug, the owners eventually lowered the price of the house by $30,000 to sell it.  I would have replaced the rug for much less than they lost.  Owners were obstinate.

Another neighbor added a four seasons room to their very nice house, but it's only 8 x 10 feet.  It's been for sale over a year.  She said she didn't want a room too large. Buyers are saying the room is much too small.  Not enough room for entertaining. 

Usually, houses in my neigborhood sell within six months.  

I've seen old 1700's colonial houses restored outside, totally modernized inside.  Walls knocked out, beautiful stairways replaced, huge modern windows in the back, destroying it's historical integrity.  For me, that is a dreadful thing to do to an old house.  

I always tell myself before I do that bathroom or kitchen remodel or anything else.  Don't do anything that is too unique to me.  You must admit adding a ceiling like this to this style house is quite unusual.  

So, it's not that I don't like the rustic additions...it's quite interesting and adds character, but I do think the owners will lose money when they sell it and sometime in the future someone will rip it out and return the house to it's original architecture.  

Honored Contributor

Ah, I see what you are saying, @Foxxee --  hadn't considered it from the "re-sell" perspective before, but you have a point.

Honored Contributor

The article describing this home says it was newly built, ground up.  It was not a home that was modified.  

I guess I am not understanding what is meant by making it hard to sell.  I don't see anything out of place or too outre'.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

I totally disagree that the wood makes the home harder to sell. In fact I think it’s an asset that will make it easier to sell because it’s beautiful. Another poster mentioned that it’s not an older home it’s a new build.
Honored Contributor

This is no "Traditional Alabama House" IMO, it is more of a Mansion!  I live in Alabama and I know!