Honored Contributor

Re: Effects of Jill’s Departure

I was not happy to hear about Jill's upcoming departure. I'm happy for her, if this is what she wants, but I'm not happy for me!

I didn't like Jill that much back in the day, but after she had her son, she changed a lot. I mostly like the fact that she is very detail oriented, and tells you not only what a product is, but is really good about letting us know what it isn't. 

There will be a big hole to fill, with Your Home With Jill shows going away. I will say, that Q has been changing those shows anyway, like a holiday season or two ago when they made many of them gift shows, after Jill had told us the plans for them being decor shows then having to explain the changes.

I suppose many of the long term hosts will be exiting in the next several years, and as someone who enjoys actually watching Q, I have to say I will miss many of them as the retire and don't see a lot of newer hosts that I can say I enjoy as much. 

IT seems the Beauty IQ channel was a fail, so why not change it to a home type channel. Decor, holiday, cleaning, storage, kitchen shows. They would have to step up the variety and quantity of products offered, but I'd be interested in that.

Respected Contributor

Alberti is too young to have an eye for decor. That comes with age. I know in my 30s I was not at a point in my life where I appreciated and understood that there is an art to decor. I believe older women have an edge on home decor.

Respected Contributor

@Reever wrote:

Alberti is too young to have an eye for decor. That comes with age. I know in my 30s I was not at a point in my life where I appreciated and understood that there is an art to decor. I believe older women have an edge on home decor.

I am sure that professional male and female decorators in their thirties would strongly disagree.
“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Frequent Visitor

So disappointed to hear that Jill is leaving.  Love watching her decor and Holiday shows...she always had practical ideas of what to do around the house without spending a fortune and using simple items around the house to make your newly bought items so “useable” . Just hope MaryBeth doesn’t leave anytime soon....she is the last of the hosts that we can really relate to.  Wishing you the best, Jill.

Valued Contributor

@Reever  I’ve been reading your posts, and I have to say that I get a real charge out of you! You certainly march to the beat of your own drummer! The good news is that Alberti just turned 40, so at least he has that going for him in your eyes. 

Honored Contributor

@Reever wrote:

Take a look at his blog posts from Christmas time, with videos of his decorating and entertaining. He definitely isn't too young to have an eye. He is one of those guys that just gets it, and it really very good at it.

Those of us that frequent this forum and Home forum have asked for several years that Q put Alberti into more home decor and holiday shows, and let him help develop his own lines. They need someone to pick up the elegant/traditional side of home decor, as it has slipped away.

Esteemed Contributor

@Reever wrote:

Not only that, but Alberti comes across as insincere to me.  He giggles and gasps like that is the first time he is seeing anything like that in his life.  Cannot watch him.  Yes, too young.

Honored Contributor

@Reever wrote:

@MaryLamb wrote:

When Jill leaves, we will lose one of the biggest champions of the home decor and holiday shows at QVC. Luckily, Valerie will still be around, but there will be fewer shows and offerings because of this loss. I wonder if QVC will finally allow Alberti to have his own show? I certainly hope Valerie doesn’t have any plans to retire soon.

Alberti ?  Ughh no thank you. He is too young.  Lets hope they assign Dan Hughes the title. Dan loves to decorate, He has an elaborate holiday display of lights (supposedly 30,000 strands of lights on his farm). People reportedly come all the way from NJ to see the festive display

How old must you be, if you see a 40 year old man as "too young"? LOL

He has great taste and ability in this area, and has proven it repeatedly with videos and photos of his own home. I think he would be great at being the next home and holiday decor front man, given the opportunity to do so?

Honored Contributor

@Sunnycorle wrote:

@RetRN wrote:

@chrystaltree, why wouldn't someone who has been successful and managed their finances well want to retire in their 50's when they still have their health, mobility, and energy to enjoy living and doing fun things? Being critical of those who want to spend time with their families is sad. The hosts have large beautiful homes and love to travel. Not everyone sits in a 2 bedroom condo with a goal of working until 70.  Most of them have large yards with pools and some have summer places on the shore, I think you are jealous.

I agree!  who wants to work up until they are put in the grave.  Some people are good and saving for retirement.  

I don't know that it is being critical of hosts that use that as a reason for leaving, I take it more that it has become a standard 'reason/excuse' when hosts leave, when in fact, there are other reasons in play for some of them being gone. It's kind of the canned response that probably the company wants put out there. Not necessarily every host that says it, means it or has it as the number one reason they are no longer with Q. And for some I'm sure, it is a completely accurate statement.

That said, early retirement is great for some folks, and others thrive on working and love what they do. No wrong choice, it's how the person perceives their life and what they want to be doing with it. Not everyone wants to retire, or retire early. Many people who work well past retirement age are doing so because they want to.

Honored Contributor

@Diva on The Q wrote:

@soccer22: Welcome to the boards! Smiley Happy Just a slight correction, QVC doesn't own HSN. Both QVC and HSN are owned by the Qurate Retail Group. 

THanks for posting this @Diva on The Q 

I do get tired of people saying QVC owns HSN. I used to correct it, but have grown weary of trying. LOL