Valued Contributor

Re: Effects of Jill’s Departure

@Drews gram wrote:

I really missed Lisa Robertson and her style in home decor, and hope they can fill that spot.  I think Valerie has some great pieces and I’ve bought many of them, but I’d love QVC to add another deminsion to their holiday line. 

@Drews gram  I think we all miss Lisa’s Christmas shows and crave more variety in general. My concern is that at this point, haven’t we seen it all? How many variations of a reindeer, tree, snowman, Santa, finial, sleigh, angel, polar bear, snowflake, penguin or gingerbread house have we already seen in plastic, glass, resin, acrylic, mercury glass or porcelain? I feel like we’ve seen it all.

Esteemed Contributor

I cannot think of any reason at all why I would want to view QVC, at least in its current state, if or when Valerie eventually leaves.  If they ever decide to give someone skilled, like Alberti as an example, a show that focuses entirely on themed items, instead of the usual generic mismatched variety shows, I would probably watch. 

As for the home and holiday category, lately I kind of feel the same as you, @MaryLamb "haven’t we seen it all? How many variations...have we already seen...?" 

When Albany Irvin left, I read many comments about her hosting skills, some good and many bad.  I had the opinion that I felt Albany would be better suited to scripted work.  Since she left
QVC, I have seen her on infomercials and also recently on Wayfair.com.  There were videos on their home page showing presentations of featured Way Day items.  Albany was a presenter and I thought she did a great job on the few short clips I watched. I have not watched her on Evine at all, but in those more scripted roles, I think she did a great job.

As others have already said, I really think we'll be seeing Jill again somewhere.  In my opinion, she would make a great product rep, even better than she is as a host.  She likes to talk, explain, describe, and she knows the product details usually very well. That may not be a path she chooses, but I can see her being successful at it.  Plus, even though I'm not exactly sure what her husband's business (TVSalesDirect) actually does, I know that it plays some role in bringing products to QVC.  Jill might in some way choose to work with them, which would keep her connection to QVC.  I cannot see her selling from a platform like Facebook like Lisa R, but who knows. Just my thoughts.  I will miss the professionalism she displayed when presenting products solo. 

Super Contributor

I think she wants to spend more time with her family because her boys are growing up it will soon be in at the house. I think she wants to travel. She told us when she turned 50 she started reflecting back on her life.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@house_cat wrote:

I'm betting we haven't seen the last of Jill on QVC.  I suspect that she will launch her own iine of home products and be back to represent them.

I don't watch often these days, but when I do, it's usually one of the older hosts like Jill or Mary Beth who I've come to know and enjoy.  I don't feel a connection with any of the younger ones, which is unfortunate because I would imagine I'll watch more often as I get older and eventually retire.  I caught a show with Jayne and Pat recently, and it was like visiting with old friends.  It's going to be sad when they all start leaving.  Yes, I know they are not really our friends, but they've been a constant for me through some tough years - a little haven away from the problems of real life.  I will miss them.

@house_cat 

I understand how you feel, and feel the same way. I too, don't need a lecture on how they aren't really my friends, and are there to sell me something, saying what they need to to make a sale. I get that, as do you.

But you are right. The older hosts have been a part of my life for 25 years or so. I have enjoyed their stories and sometimes their antics. They keep me company during the day as I work and cook around the house, and I feel like they share enough of themselves that we do kind of know them. 

I will miss them as they leave. And I too, am not very connected to most of the 'newer' hosts. New to me is like Mary DeAngelis (sp?), and Alberti (both of whom I do like and enjoy), so the super new ones, I'm just not in synch with (yet? lol). 

I had an idea that Jill might be back as now a number of former hosts are, as vendors. One former female host is in for Dennis Basso, Johnathan is working for Squirrel Brand nuts, Dan is doing food. 

I thought that she might come back in some capacity with Valerie, as she has done a lot of 'creating' things with her in the past. I just think that the schedule of a vendor could be as bad as that of a host (less hours, but still, they want you when they want you), and that seems to be some of what she wants to get away from. Wanting to be more available for her family. 

But she is a relatively young woman, and maybe after a few years home before Trevor goes off to college, she will want to be in the thick of things again, here or elsewhere. I don't expect her to retire permanently for sure, whatever she chooses to do in the future.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mominohio, Good point about vendors/product reps generally having crazy hours also.  Makes me wonder if reps ever demand set hours.  

If there ever is a Valerie/Jill collaboration in the future, I sure hope they do not present items on air together.  Jill is very good but NOT with Valerie, in my opinion, because she dominates the presentations.  

I can't help but think she'll be back on tv in some new role one of these days.

Trusted Contributor

Will miss Jill, she is a great host...But please do not have Alberti do any of her shows.  He is not like her at all....

Honored Contributor

I like Jill. She is my favorite host by far. However, hosts come and go and QVC will go on just like they have gone on when other hosts have left.

Jill may be a champion of home shows but I doubt she had much influence overy anything.

Let's not forget that last year or the year prior, all of Jill's weekly holiday decor shows were canceled and changed to gift shows, something Jill wasn't happy about at all.  When questioned about it on social media, she said it wasn't her choice and gave out names and numbers, etc. of who to contact.

I also seriously doubt it was Jill's idea to have  her show set on Monday and Friday nights at 10:00 p.m. on Q2.  

I'm thinking QVC was making big changes, some Jill wasn't thrilled with and is getting out while the getting is good.   

Honored Contributor

@ILUVChristmas wrote:
I think she wants to spend more time with her family because her boys are growing up it will soon be in at the house. I think she wants to travel. She told us when she turned 50 she started reflecting back on her life.

@ILUVChristmas, Jill has one son and a daughter.  Her daughter is already in college.   

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@phluphy wrote:

Will miss Jill, she is a great host...But please do not have Alberti do any of her shows.  He is not like her at all....

@phluphyYou are ssooooooooo right!!  We don't need to hear all the gasping and giggling that he does.  Jill is in the epitome of professionalism.

Valued Contributor

OMG. Is anyone else watching YHJ on QVC2? Jill just announced that her husband is having a colonoscopy tomorrow. I’m sure her husband is thrilled that she announced that to the world!