Esteemed Contributor

Re: Effects of Jill’s Departure

[ Edited ]

@Reever wrote:

I wouldnt be surprised at all if Jill lands at a Home Goods or Pier One store. She can continue to work with home decor and take part time work so she can still be at home for family. A family friend took a retail position at Williams Sonoma years ago and enjoyed it.

I think that's extremely unlikely.  Why would she want to work part-time at a retail store?  

If she wants to keep her hand in home decor, there are other much more interesting (and more lucrative) ways for her to do that.  With her experience and her contacts, she can move on to something far more creative.  I can't imagine that working at Home Goods or anywhere similar would be the slightest bit appealing to her.

Respected Contributor

If she has enough money saved like some here speculate there is no shame in taking a part time job. I had an Uncle who retired and decided to take a 15 hour a week job at a local diner. He didnt need the money. He did it to remain productive.

Honored Contributor

@MaryLamb wrote:

@Caaareful Shopper wrote:

@MaryLamb wrote:

@Reever wrote:

I wouldnt be surprised at all if Jill lands at a Home Goods or Pier One store. She can continue to work with home decor and take part time work so she can still be at home for family. A family friend took a retail position at Williams Sonoma years ago and enjoyed it.

Yes, I could see this happening. Jill would also make a wonderful greeter at Walmart. She is very warm and friendly, and she always has a wealth of information about products she sells. She would be easily able to point shoppers in the right direction.

@MaryLamb  Forgive me if you're being serious, but do you really see Jill as a Walmart Greeter???

@Caaareful Shopper  Sure, why not? The world is her oyster!

I agree @MaryLamb .  However, I just don't see the pearl being in Walmart.

If Jill has any inclination to work in a retail establishment, I see her, for example, as a consultant in Barbara King's decor stores. 

This is merely viewers' casual opinions for discussion sake.  Jill will do absolutely anything she desires from this point on, I'm sure.   

Esteemed Contributor

@Reever wrote:

If she has enough money saved like some here speculate there is no shame in taking a part time job. I had an Uncle who retired and decided to take a 15 hour a week job at a local diner. He didnt need the money. He did it to remain productive.

It has nothing to do with shame.  Or with needing money.  Lots of people take jobs to keep themselves occupied and because they enjoy the social aspects of it.  There's nothing wrong with that.

But it would make no sense for Jill to do it. She probably wants a break from working at all, and if she does decide to move on to something else, for sure it won't be working in a retail store.  She would probably want something much more creative than that, and she's fortunate that many doors would be open to her that would be far more interesting.

Honored Contributor

Are some of the job suggestions for Jill  a joke?   Must be.

Honored Contributor

Threads have been shut down for speculating about a host. I'm surprised they left all the comments about a different job for her.

Valued Contributor

@AuntG wrote:

Threads have been shut down for speculating about a host. I'm surprised they left all the comments about a different job for her.

I don’t think discussing how some people get part time jobs when they retire or what kind of jobs they might be successful in is classified as speculation. People here seem to be wishing Jill well and hoping she finds suitable ways to showcase her talent. 

Honored Contributor

@AuntG wrote:

@AuntG   That shut down thread had personal speculation comments about her finances, family relationships (husband), savings, etc.  Totally uncalled for.

Musings about part-time jobs that may interest her is far from personal. 

Honored Contributor

I'm betting we haven't seen the last of Jill on QVC.  I suspect that she will launch her own iine of home products and be back to represent them.

I don't watch often these days, but when I do, it's usually one of the older hosts like Jill or Mary Beth who I've come to know and enjoy.  I don't feel a connection with any of the younger ones, which is unfortunate because I would imagine I'll watch more often as I get older and eventually retire.  I caught a show with Jayne and Pat recently, and it was like visiting with old friends.  It's going to be sad when they all start leaving.  Yes, I know they are not really our friends, but they've been a constant for me through some tough years - a little haven away from the problems of real life.  I will miss them.

~ house cat ~
Contributor

I really missed Lisa Robertson and her style in home decor, and hope they can fill that spot.  I think Valerie has some great pieces and I’ve bought many of them, but I’d love QVC to add another deminsion to their holiday line.