Trusted Contributor

Re: Effects of Jill’s Departure

I watched Jill's announcement on Facebook and she said something to the effect of looking back on your life and being sorry you didn't try something you wanted to do.  She has said on her shows that decorating is a love of hers and with her connections to Valerie and Barbara King and probably other vendors, I wouldn't be surprised if she ventures into that area.  And my opinion is that the changes that QVC has made and is making had something to do with her departure.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Reever wrote:

@Mj12 wrote:

@bdoby wrote:

Jill will be back.   It is funny that she is now taking time to spend more time with her family since she indicated her step daughter is off to college and her son is in high school.   Should have spent more time when little.  

Jill always thought she was Martha Stewart but she got all of her recipies and craft ideas off of Pinterest and when she did shows with home decor.  She moved one item being sold to another area and called it decorating.

She had ice in her veins for some of the vendors and it was very apparent.  You obviously could see the vendors she liked.  The biggest annoyance was her always saying, no matter what the product  "Love It"   "love it"   "love it"

She has connections as to getting vendors on the show.  Guaranteed she will be back either as a vendor for Home Decor or selling her own goods.

Look at Dan Wheeler, he left and now he is a spokes person for food products.

Jill will be back, she likes the camera.

Who are any of us to judge her (or any working woman)?  

If Jill didnt want the spotlight she could have kept this all private and simply walked away from the job. These hosts are egomaniacs. They love the limelight. Its the nature of the beast. Many people depart from companies with no fan fare. They tell Human Resources they want to be out the door without a farewell or long goodbye. One day they are here, next day they are gone.  Jill wanted the attention.

If she simply walked away, the phones and board would blow up with questions about her whereabouts. Speculation about her departure would be much worse than it is now. The Q encourages viewers to think of hosts as friends or even family in order to increase sales. Most people know that they are just strangers selling merchandise. But, after reading some of the comments and personal questions to and about hosts, I would not be surprised if management encouraged Jill's video.

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Honored Contributor

I seem to remember someone emailed the mods, demanding an explanation when the Blue Jean Chef lady moved on from the Q without a great deal of fanfare.  

So if they announce it in advance - they are egomaniacs.  But If they keep it low key - some people contact CS asking what happened. 

Honored Contributor

@Reever wrote:

Alberti is too young to have an eye for decor. That comes with age. I know in my 30s I was not at a point in my life where I appreciated and understood that there is an art to decor. I believe older women have an edge on home decor.

@Reever.  Have you seen some of the decor in Alberti's home?  Several times he has posted pictures of what he has done for holidays and believe me, "older women" have nothing on him.  I dont think age has anything to do with one's ability to create beautiful things in the home.

My objection to Alberti is his over-the-top gushing over vendors.  He recently hosted a show of artificial flowers from a vendor from Great Britain,  and youd think they'd sent the queen the way he carried on over her.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Frequent Contributor

@MaryLamb Like you I am hopeful QVC will keep some of it's decor and holiday shows.  I miss the variety that QVC used to have - the wonderful all day craft events with lots of vendors.  I used to take the day off work and sit and watch all day.  The holiday shows used to feature quality products by a variety of vendors as well.  One would think with the buying power of the Qurate Group - they could come up with some out-of-this world shows.  Perhaps that's just wishful thinking on my part.

Super Contributor

@milly1 wrote:

Less and less home decor shows.  More and more beauty, Susan Graver & Logo.  Same product lines on HSN & QVC.  Unprepared silly hosts and stale products.  Run, Jill, run QVC isn’t the same. I’m surprised MaryBeth with all her children out of the house doesn’t retire.  QVC is now 3 nights of Happy Dance and a home show.  The offerings on his home show are the same old/same old.  Stuck YHWJ on Q2 and he has a home show on the main channel.  Primping, dancing, screaming that’s the new host.  Shawn, Amy & Kerstin started it and it’s continued to go downhill.  A modulated Katy McGee is a rarity and she’s stuck in the background.

OMG! - I needed this laugh....and it is oh so true!

Respected Contributor

Have to wonder if the decision to give David the Down Home Show Thursday night while Jills home show got rmoved to Q2 in a bad time slot was the last straw.  

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Reever wrote:

Alberti is too young to have an eye for decor. That comes with age. I know in my 30s I was not at a point in my life where I appreciated and understood that there is an art to decor. I believe older women have an edge on home decor.

@ReeverHave you seen some of the decor in Alberti's home?  Several times he has posted pictures of what he has done for holidays and believe me, "older women" have nothing on him.  I dont think age has anything to do with one's ability to create beautiful things in the home.

My objection to Alberti is his over-the-top gushing over vendors.  He recently hosted a show of artificial flowers from a vendor from Great Britain,  and youd think they'd sent the queen the way he carried on over her.

@Kachina624  I agree 100% with the bolded part.  "Too young to have an eye for decor" is incredibly shortsighted and just wrong.  

Honored Contributor

QVC's Home line has seen declining sales for many quarters (it's all in their quarterly financial reports).  I really think the reason Jill's home show was banished to Q2 in the first place was because it did not provide the revenue QVC/Qurate was looking for, and they wanted to shake things up a bit (translation -- not so much focus on home items as years before).  

So if there is a lessened focus on home shows, it's not because they couldn't find someone to replace Jill.  I believe it's because that was the decision all along, less home shows, and more shows that bring in the sales.  

I, for one, would love for Alberti to at least have his own Christmas design/decor shows this year.  It may be too late for him to actually have his influence on products though.  It usually takes a year to bring in new products.

Respected Contributor

I wouldnt be surprised at all if Jill lands at a Home Goods or Pier One store. She can continue to work with home decor and take part time work so she can still be at home for family. A family friend took a retail position at Williams Sonoma years ago and enjoyed it.