Respected Contributor

Re: Effects of Jill’s Departure

In the years since I found the Q, They come, they go, they come, they go. Life just keep changing.Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

And also crystal pieces and glass cases to put them in. I purchased several.

Respected Contributor

Extra time for Jill. With Boys almost a no. They may be like that when they are in their 30's , but now, it'st a no go. 

Esteemed Contributor

@itsmetoo wrote:

@Reever wrote:

Alberti is too young to have an eye for decor. That comes with age. I know in my 30s I was not at a point in my life where I appreciated and understood that there is an art to decor. I believe older women have an edge on home decor.

@Reever 

I couldn't disagree with you more. 

@itsmetoo wrote:

@Reever wrote:

Alberti is too young to have an eye for decor. That comes with age. I know in my 30s I was not at a point in my life where I appreciated and understood that there is an art to decor. I believe older women have an edge on home decor.

@Reever 

I couldn't disagree with you more. 

I disagree too.

I'm actually not at all familiar with Alberti, but someone in their 30's is certainly not too young to have an eye for decor.  There are plenty of people who are quite artistic and talented at even younger ages.

Older women, simply by virtue of being older, aren't suddenly gifted with talent for design. 

Esteemed Contributor

@bdoby wrote:

Jill will be back.   It is funny that she is now taking time to spend more time with her family since she indicated her step daughter is off to college and her son is in high school.   Should have spent more time when little.  

Jill always thought she was Martha Stewart but she got all of her recipies and craft ideas off of Pinterest and when she did shows with home decor.  She moved one item being sold to another area and called it decorating.

She had ice in her veins for some of the vendors and it was very apparent.  You obviously could see the vendors she liked.  The biggest annoyance was her always saying, no matter what the product  "Love It"   "love it"   "love it"

She has connections as to getting vendors on the show.  Guaranteed she will be back either as a vendor for Home Decor or selling her own goods.

Look at Dan Wheeler, he left and now he is a spokes person for food products.

Jill will be back, she likes the camera.

I'm not a fan of Jill, so I'm clearly in the minority here. However, I think all of this is unnecessarily harsh.

I choose not to watch her, but I would never judge how much time she should have spent with her children.  That's a personal decision, and absolutely none of our business.  I guess mothers shouldn't work, or they risk being criticized by strangers.

Esteemed Contributor

@Reever wrote:

@Mj12 wrote:

@bdoby wrote:

Jill will be back.   It is funny that she is now taking time to spend more time with her family since she indicated her step daughter is off to college and her son is in high school.   Should have spent more time when little.  

Jill always thought she was Martha Stewart but she got all of her recipies and craft ideas off of Pinterest and when she did shows with home decor.  She moved one item being sold to another area and called it decorating.

She had ice in her veins for some of the vendors and it was very apparent.  You obviously could see the vendors she liked.  The biggest annoyance was her always saying, no matter what the product  "Love It"   "love it"   "love it"

She has connections as to getting vendors on the show.  Guaranteed she will be back either as a vendor for Home Decor or selling her own goods.

Who are any of us to judge her (or any working woman)?  

If Jill didnt want the spotlight she could have kept this all private and simply walked away from the job. These hosts are egomaniacs. They love the limelight. Its the nature of the beast. Many people depart from companies with no fan fare. They tell Human Resources they want to be out the door without a farewell or long goodbye. One day they are here, next day they are gone.  Jill wanted the attention.

This is different than someone leaving an office job.  When the employee is on-air talent and has a fan base, the network wants there to be some kind of closure.  Otherwise, there's anger, confusion, and speculation. 

Jill can't simply be there one day and gone the next.  That's highly unusual in television, especially when the leaving is on good terms.  This is not about her wanting attention.  It's about the network wanting good will all around.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@itsmetoo wrote:

@MaryLamb 

I think they will just have fewer home shows.  They clearly aren't a priority for QVC anymore.  They never really replaced Lisa Robertson's higher end holiday shows.  QVC has changed so much in recent years and more so all the time.  More of the same thing over and over and over.  They've become not much more than an infomercial with their long TSV presentations shown multiple times a day.  I seldom watch or buy anymore.

Agreed. I can easily see this happening. I have worked for two major department stores over the years, and watched each one of them gradually scale back their home departments until it was a pale shadow of its former self. At the same time, they greatly expanded the women’s ready to wear, clothing, shoes, handbags, etc. There’s just more money to be made in women’s clothing. Compare how often one purchases, for example, new bedding or towels with how often they purchase new clothes or shoes.

I’ve noticed that QVC is really leaning heavily toward promoting clothing, shoes, handbags, etc. In general, I  think the days of the Q offering home decor are on the wane. 

Honored Contributor

@Patriot3 wrote:

@Mominohio   I think the Dennis Basso rep is Lena Mackelwain.  Sorry if that last name is spelled wrong.

@Patriot3 

Thank you! That is her name. I was just drawing a blank! She is so lovely. She was a good host too.

Honored Contributor

@MaryLamb wrote:

When Jill leaves, we will lose one of the biggest champions of the home decor and holiday shows at QVC. Luckily, Valerie will still be around, but there will be fewer shows and offerings because of this loss. I wonder if QVC will finally allow Alberti to have his own show? I certainly hope Valerie doesn’t have any plans to retire soon.

If it sells, it will be on the air.  Jill is great, but you know about everyone can be replaced.  People retire and life goes on, changes a little and gives new people an opportunity and the retired maybe a chance to live another life they've longed for.

It's fine.  It will work out! 

Honored Contributor

@Reever wrote:

@Mj12 wrote:

@bdoby wrote:

Who are any of us to judge her (or any working woman)?  

If Jill didnt want the spotlight she could have kept this all private and simply walked away from the job. These hosts are egomaniacs. They love the limelight. Its the nature of the beast. Many people depart from companies with no fan fare. They tell Human Resources they want to be out the door without a farewell or long goodbye. One day they are here, next day they are gone.  Jill wanted the attention.

Maybe. Probably.

But.....I do believe that many of the hosts have a connection with customers (especially since the advent of social media), and know that all these years, it has been the customers that have been what kept them in a job. I do believe some hosts, like Jill, when leaving, want to give customers time to know and process it, and are grateful for customers following them through the years, being fans and being customers of the company. 

I worked in retail for many years, and one does get to know many customers, and you get 'connected' to them. I really don't see QVC hosts as any different.