Esteemed Contributor

Re: Effects of Jill’s Departure

@itsmetoo wrote:

@MaryLamb 

I think they will just have fewer home shows.  They clearly aren't a priority for QVC anymore.  They never really replaced Lisa Robertson's higher end holiday shows.  QVC has changed so much in recent years and more so all the time.  More of the same thing over and over and over.  They've become not much more than an infomercial with their long TSV presentations shown multiple times a day.  I seldom watch or buy anymore.

I also think there will be less Christmas shows with Valerie.  The younger audiance they are after do not decorate the same as we seem to with all Valarie items.  (I have purged most "clutter" stuff that I bought over the years from Valarie and replaced with a few really nice pieces from Pottery Barn and Pier 1)  Jill did a good job during the holiday shows but honestly she was no Lisa.  Not to down play Jill at all, very relatable, but she didn't have the high end charisma Lisa did with holiday decor.  I learned a lot of tricks from her.  No question the Q is changing, some for the good and some not so much.  I don't watch as much as I used to abd pick and choose only what interests me. 

There is life after the Q and I hope Jill will enjoy whatever she chooses to do.  She has touched so many and will be missed.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

While I didn't like Jill paired with Valerie because Jill just seemed to take over the show, however, I did come to appreciate Jill when she hosted home decor shows by herself.  She is professional, and is so well prepared and really knows her products.  I do think Jill was an advocate for the home decor shows.

Sadly in the last couple of quarterly financial reports it indicated that sales in the HOME catgory were down....but who knows what that entails...it could have mean a decline in vacuum cleaner sales, vacuums that are shown way too often...or mattresses, or outdoor living...who knows. 

Well.... I can only hope Alberti fills the void left by Jill's departure.  The home decor shows fall into the category of the FEW I tune in and watch on QVC anymore...Sadly I think David's Home Show is more to the Q's Execs liking than what us decoranistas really like......

But never fear.... Jill Martin will be previewing her G.I.L.I Home line...(being sarcastic cannot stand JM) and if the items she debuted on David's Show was a sample...NO THANK YOU!!!! Woman Tongue Woman Sad

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@crazycockermom wrote:
I haven’t been around lately. When did Jill announce this. What did she say?
Sometimes she irritated me, but she grew on me and she was good at what she did. A shame she is leaving.

@crazycockermom 

Read the threads in the Q Talk Category for details

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Respected Contributor

@MaryLamb wrote:

When Jill leaves, we will lose one of the biggest champions of the home decor and holiday shows at QVC. Luckily, Valerie will still be around, but there will be fewer shows and offerings because of this loss. I wonder if QVC will finally allow Alberti to have his own show? I certainly hope Valerie doesn’t have any plans to retire soon.

Alberti ?  Ughh no thank you. He is too young.  Lets hope they assign Dan Hughes the title. Dan loves to decorate, He has an elaborate holiday display of lights (supposedly 30,000 strands of lights on his farm). People reportedly come all the way from NJ to see the festive display

Honored Contributor

Unless the home and holiday decor shows are unprofitable they'll have another host take them over, just as they did the holiday decor shows when Lisa Robertson left. They might have carved out this hearth and home niche for Jill but they can easily plug another host into that role and probably will do so.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@Reever wrote:

@MaryLamb wrote:

When Jill leaves, we will lose one of the biggest champions of the home decor and holiday shows at QVC. Luckily, Valerie will still be around, but there will be fewer shows and offerings because of this loss. I wonder if QVC will finally allow Alberti to have his own show? I certainly hope Valerie doesn’t have any plans to retire soon.

Alberti ?  Ughh no thank you. He is too young.  Lets hope they assign Dan Hughes the title. Dan loves to decorate, He has an elaborate holiday display of lights (supposedly 30,000 strands of lights on his farm). People reportedly come all the way from NJ to see the festive display

@Reever .  Yes, Dan loves to decorate...the outside of the house.  Alberti decorates...the inside. So I guess it would depend on what is being sold, inside decorations or outside lights. 
Also NJ is right next to Pa. so it really isn’t that far to go to look at lights.

Respected Contributor

@Spurt
Thanks for the info!
I agree with your post. Yes she could be too much with Valerie, but I like her with Jim Shore, with Martha, with Louis Dell’Olio...
She is always knowledgable and prepared.

I don’t watch QVC a lot, but there are certain shows I like to watch. I will miss her decor shows and ideas. I’m not a huge Alberti fan so I don’t see myself tuning in much for decor anymore, except for Martha’s items which I really like.
Trusted Contributor

Oh no!  She and Caroline are the the only ones I can watch for any length of time.  When is she leaving???  I can remember when she started about the same time as David.  Remember the Warner Bros. shows?  End of an era.  

Respected Contributor

@RetRN wrote:

@chrystaltree, why wouldn't someone who has been successful and managed their finances well want to retire in their 50's when they still have their health, mobility, and energy to enjoy living and doing fun things? Being critical of those who want to spend time with their families is sad. The hosts have large beautiful homes and love to travel. Not everyone sits in a 2 bedroom condo with a goal of working until 70.  Most of them have large yards with pools and some have summer places on the shore, I think you are jealous.

I agree!  who wants to work up until they are put in the grave.  Some people are good and saving for retirement.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@soccer22: Welcome to the boards! Smiley Happy Just a slight correction, QVC doesn't own HSN. Both QVC and HSN are owned by the Qurate Retail Group.