Frequent Contributor

Re: Early Christmas Decorating?

Regardless of when Thanksgiving is,  I always start the weekend after Halloween.  But I do take my time,  especially with my trees.  I work on the outside decorations the weekend before Thanksgiving but don't power them up till Thanksgiving night. This year is going to be a challenge because now I watch my two grandsons.  One will be 1 year old and his big brother will just be 3 years old.  Wish me luck

Frequent Contributor

@MaryLamb @I had noticed the timing of Thanksgiving as well.  I am going to try to start 11/1 so I can take my time and enjoy the process.  I help my sister with her holiday decor Thanksgiving weekend. I will do my outdoor decor when I return home from Thanksgiving.  Last year I got someone to help me bring all of my tubs and boxes upstairs which was fantastic.  

Trusted Contributor

@wildlifewitch wrote:

When I put Halloween away, I take out Christmas. That is how i store things. That is how I roll. If people don't like it they can keep queit and not come to my house. I'm not climbing ladders and digging through storage more times than I have to. So, Christmas will be up from Novemebr, first week, until January. I'll probably have Halloween and harvest up in mid  August or early September. The only rules are the ones you set for your home.Happy Holidays.

That’s exactly what I do and the same time frame. Happy Holidays to You Also😊

Respected Contributor

I will probably start in mid November. I have a lot going on in December and can't leave all the decorating to that month.

I want to take my time and enjoy each moment and not turn it into a job. I also don't like leaving the Christmas decorations up much past the first week of January....so I will need to get started early.

Really looking forward to it. 

Esteemed Contributor

My witches fly away and the tree goes up (Valerie’s glistening slim tree) with beaded fruit, and  wreathes to match its decorating for two holidays.  Sooo easy and I can enjoy it longer,

Esteemed Contributor

I always do Thanksgiving for the family, so harvest is the theme of the day. Then, I put my feet up for a day or two and start to decorate for Christmas. That is the way it is going to be for as long as I can see. The really great thing this year is that I will be retired, and I have Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday! WOW! How great is that?!?!?

Respected Contributor

@PA Mom-mom Yes, hurrah for you.  Are you in the really "antsy trying to hide the countdown mode" at work yet?  If not, you will be the closer you get to the final workday.  It is just human nature.

Best wishes for you that the final weeks go smoothly and that you will be allowed to pack up and wind down gradually as the day draws nearer.

That feeling of freedom--that time is your own--is such a wonderful one.  I do miss some of my workmates, but not the job itself after thirty-five years, and forty total, working full time.

Best wishes and enjoy the upcoming holidays at a leisurely pace! 

aroc3435

Esteemed Contributor

@aroc3435 wrote:

@PA Mom-mom Yes, hurrah for you.  Are you in the really "antsy trying to hide the countdown mode" at work yet?  If not, you will be the closer you get to the final workday.  It is just human nature.

Best wishes for you that the final weeks go smoothly and that you will be allowed to pack up and wind down gradually as the day draws nearer.

That feeling of freedom--that time is your own--is such a wonderful one.  I do miss some of my workmates, but not the job itself after thirty-five years, and forty total, working full time.

Best wishes and enjoy the upcoming holidays at a leisurely pace! 

aroc3435

Thanks so much @aroc3435 ! I have what teachers call Senior-itis. When I was teaching, we would notice the Seniors "checking-out" after January. I think I'm starting to check out. Hahaha! After being a stay at home mom until my children were of school age, and then teaching for 18 years, I became an office administrator for 20 years. I really look forward to getting the house in order and doing those preparations for holidays I've dreamed about for so long. Not really looking forward to training my replacement, because it really is double work.

Respected Contributor

@PA Mom-mom Oh my! How soon/when will you be training your replacement?  Just my opinion:  It's more than double work, it is sort of pointless.  As long as a person understands the fundamentals of a system and adheres to guidelines, protocols, and deadlines he or she should be able to do it in their own way, because each individual has his own skill set and ways to tackle a problem.

I'll be thinking of you and praying for you during the training of someone else ordeal.

Esteemed Contributor

@aroc3435  No, it makes sense. I was thrown into my job with no training. It was not pretty. It will be fine. There are some specifics that need to be communicated. I already have all the work instructions written out, along with powerpoint demos to follow. If the new employee wants to take advantage or not is up to her or him.I certainly welcome and appreciate your prayers! Thanks!