Honored Contributor

EARLY HOLIDAY DECORATING

[ Edited ]
I found this in the Home forum, but thought it should be here.

Putting Your Holiday Decorations Up Early Could Make You Happier, According to Experts

This story is from Country Living Magazine

GETTY IMAGES

If you're one of the people who believes Christmas shouldn't show up until after Thanksgiving, here's a case for setting up your tree and lights as early as possible: It could make you happier. And since there's no such thing as being too happy, everyone should listen up.

"In a world full of stress and anxiety, people like to associate to things that make them happy and Christmas decorations evoke those strong feelings of the childhood, psychoanalyst Steve McKeown told Unilad. "Decorations are simply an anchor or pathway to those old childhood magical emotions of excitement. So putting up those Christmas decorations early extends the excitement!"

Another perk of putting up your decorations: It could help you make friends. The Journal of Environmental Psychology found that decorations show your neighbors you're accessible and people perceive people with holiday decor to be more friendly and cohesive. So if you're new to the block or haven't been able to break the ice with the new family across the street, it might be time to bust out the garland and red bows.

Psychotherapist and author of 13 Things Mentally Strong People Don't, Amy Morin, also told Unilad that the nostalgia the holidays trigger can provide positivity in one's life as well. "Nostalgia helps link people to their personal past and it helps people understand their identity. For many, putting up Christmas decorations early is a way for them to reconnect with their childhoods."

She says even if someone has lost a loved one, the holidays can help serve as a reminder of happy times with that person. "Decorating early may help them feel more connected with that individual," she says. So instead of shaming someone for putting up their tree the day after Halloween, or forcing yourself to resist doing the same, you might as well put this theory to the test. We know we're going to.

Honored Contributor

Re: EARLY HOLIDAY DECORATING

I decorate for ALL the holidays and do put them up early. This coming weekend I am getting out a few harvest stuff.

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Very interesting--thanks for sharing! I do think celebratory decorating can make a big difference in one's outlook and enhances the joy of the season. I am excited to set up all my harvest (well, mostly pumpkin) decor this weekend; it's my annual Labor Day tradition. This theme will stay around until the weekend before Thanksgiving, when I put up all my Christmas decor in preparation for our annual "Elf Friday" party (where we view "Elf" and have lots of goodies) that kicks off the rest of the holiday season on the day after Thanksgiving. That stuff stays up until the end of January or until I feel like it has become clutter rather than Christmas. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I've never tied decorating in with my emotional health, but I do like putting out some decorations for every season.  

New Contributor

I WANT COLORED WINDOW LIGHTS INSTEAD OF WHITE ONES...HOW ABOUT IT QVC?

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I light up my rooms for every season. Perhaps my decor is more about lighting up what I have than more decor. Decorating makes me verrrrry happy!!!

fall.jpg

Honored Contributor

Yes, i agree.

Honored Contributor

@PA Mom-mom wrote:

I light up my rooms for every season. Perhaps my decor is more about lighting up what I have than more decor. Decorating makes me verrrrry happy!!!

fall.jpg

Yes, lighting makes me happy too.

Respected Contributor

I will decorate early this year as we are having company for almost the entire month of December and I want to enjoy my guests and not be trying to decorate trees and mantels during this time.

I find it amusing that people think they cannot decorate when they choose. It is YOUR home and you should do what makes you happy and content. We are all different and that's a good thing.............I would think. 

Respected Contributor

@mousiegirl @GCR18 @Regal Bee @PA Mom-mom @CHRISTMAS SNOW. I agree.  I think decorating a home is very personal the same as choosing one's outfits.  

At this time of year as the daylight hours shorten I tend to start to feel a little down.  It actually starts in mid August.  Probably have always suffered from seasonal affective disorder.  So I do like lights and candles year round but even more now as we approach winter.  I'm definitely a spring and summer gal--love the warmth and bright sun of summer.  Don't even mind humidity!

Tomorrow I start my autumn/halloween decorations and I might put up my Christmas tree earlier this year--you are right--it's my home so I can do what makes me feel good and enjoy it.  Since I have always had an artificial tree I leave it up longer than most people do but I've have never put it up until after Thanksgiving but might, as I said do it earlier this time.    

I just ordered two velvet pumpkins in different shades of green at Zulily's, a couple of light up skull candlesticks and a larger light up skull for Halloween, but I have enough to use until they are delivered.

Looking forward to the fun of decorating tomorrow, once I've finished the "deep clean" I was doing while we had so many gloomy, rainy days.

Sincere thanks to all of you for always being an inspiration by sharing your thoughts.