Respected Contributor

In celebration of this day, Amy has been asking the vendors who inspired them. Many wonderful answers given. My mom inspired me, she was a RN and mom of 10 children of which I am the oldest. She worked for a nursing home and then on to a  VA hospital where she worked many years and overtime hours caring for veterans until she retired. I am so proud of her and it inspired me to go to nursing school as well. Loosing my mom in 2020 from covid was heartbreaking but she rest in peace now, she was 88, a remarkable woman ! 

So tell us  who inspired or inspires you ?

Trusted Contributor

Re: Dr. Martin Luther King Day

Your mother sounds like a wonderful person and she passed on her perspectives and values to you.

My parents were always my main inspiration.  They were a part of the Great Migration from the South and remained steadfast in their belief in God and ensured that we had a strong moral foundation and a sense of responsibility to others.  They were willing to work overtime and two jobs so that we could have access to the best educations.  They attended each graduation: elementary, secondary, BS and BN; MSN and M.Ed., and Ph.D.  We felt those degrees were for them and their belief and support of us.

My parents treated us with kindness concern, humor, love, and measured discipline-no physical punishments mainly verbal admonishes in which they shared their disappointment with some behavior on our part. They did not try to act like our peers; they were the authority figures and our unconditional supporters.  When we were together, we ate dinner together each evening through their passing over the past three years.  The conservations we had then were so vital to who we became and our love for each other.

Honored Contributor

I have never had any personal inspiration, I do have resp...

[ Edited ]

I have never had any personal inspiration, I do have respect and admiration for many, especially those who are fierce about their own evolution.  I am grateful that I have been able to learn from all situations in my life, even the difficult times.  I gain inspiration from people that I know by reading or knowing about the challenges they have overcome (i.e., Victor Frankl Man's Search for Meaning).  

This man was in a concentration camp....these are his words:

“Everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms—to choose one’s attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one’s own way.”

Viktor E. Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning

True inspiration, especially given his circumstances...I've read this book more than once.
Honored Contributor

Re: Dr. Martin Luther King Day

[ Edited ]

@Goodie2shoes - Thank you for starting this!

We had a similar discussion at a meeting this morning.

As for me - my mom. She experienced a lot of hard times in her life and handled them with grace and positivity. I try to do the same. She always had time for our friends, and everyone was welcome in our home. 

DH and I did that with our children too. Many times we would race home on a weekend night to straighten up and put snacks in the oven! They knew their friends were always welcome.  

@Goodie2shoes - I'm so sorry for your mom's passing last year. Mine died a while ago, and I miss her every single day. I always will.